Viewing profile

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Viewing profile

Postby Jack » April 27th, 2005, 4:15 pm

How about adding information about files downloaded/suggested. Also, put in the option for those to be displayed or not to be displayed(users option under 'Your Account'). Also, default being "Yes. Display files I've downloaded in my profile.".
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » April 27th, 2005, 5:39 pm

I think I need to do the work to create a more robust profile, but that like many other things will be an issue of time.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sandy82 » April 27th, 2005, 6:14 pm

Most people, before they vote on an issue, want a clear and succinct statement of what they're voting on.

Is there one?

As of this writing, there have been a total of five votes.

Perhaps it would be wise to suspend voting until a clear statement is posted over the three choices.

Frankly, I think the statement should be detailed. Whatever the issue is, it should be explained exactly what impact the proposed change would have on the site's 4,000+ members.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby Jack » April 27th, 2005, 6:33 pm

First option: Yes, with option to turn on/off under "Your account/Your Info"
-----------------------------
Basically, when someone looks at your profile they can see what files you've downloaded so far. You will have the ability to turn this on or off by going to "Your Account/Your Info".

Second option: Yes, without option to turn on/off
------------------------------
Same deal, but no one has an option to turn it off.(Except EMG of course.)

Third option: No
------------------------------
Nothing new comes of this idea.
Jack
Guru
Guru

Clear statement needed above voting site

Postby sandy82 » April 27th, 2005, 7:03 pm

Thanks, Jack.

Very interesting.

I'm curious about all this.

What would be a person's genuine and legitimate interest in the files downloaded by someone else?
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby Linja » April 28th, 2005, 2:09 am

I'm for this, I think it's a really good idea. I mean, with a site such as this containing many of the things is does, no doubt some people would rather keep their downloads secret.

I didn't even know you could see what other people have downloaded.

-Linja
Linja
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dharden » April 28th, 2005, 11:03 am

Since the polls don't allow for preferential voting, I voted No. My second preference is to have it be user's choice, preferably with the default being "Do not display".

After all, people may download or suggest files without having any intent of, or interest in, trying them on themselves. It occurs to me that the sort of list being talked about would show what someone had downloaded or suggested, but not why they did it. Also, if someone downloads a file, listens through the suggestions, and decides against trying it, it'll still show up on a list of "files that've been downloaded".
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jack » May 4th, 2005, 7:57 pm

dharden wrote:Since the polls don't allow for preferential voting, I voted No. My second preference is to have it be user's choice, preferably with the default being "Do not display".

After all, people may download or suggest files without having any intent of, or interest in, trying them on themselves. It occurs to me that the sort of list being talked about would show what someone had downloaded or suggested, but not why they did it. Also, if someone downloads a file, listens through the suggestions, and decides against trying it, it'll still show up on a list of "files that've been downloaded".

If you look at the options, the first one says "Yes, with user getting option to turn off(on)* the display."
--------------------------
*(on) - added this to make the point more clearly.
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby loony28 » May 4th, 2005, 9:48 pm

:twisted: I voted no because I don't see what the point is in knowing if a person downloaded a file. Now maybe if instead of it being downloaded files, have a list of all the available files on the site (even the for sell only files) and make it so if you're listening to a file and you want other people to know then all you have to do is check that file and it will show up in your profile. Could even have an option to show how long you've been listening to the file. It would be your responsibility to uncheck the file if you stop listening to it. :twisted:
loony28
Guru
Guru

Postby dharden » May 8th, 2005, 1:25 pm

loony28 wrote::twisted: I voted no because I don't see what the point is in knowing if a person downloaded a file.

I agree. Knowing that someone has downloaded a particular file without knowing why they'd downloaded it or what they did with it doesn't convey all that much information.

Also, I'll point out that those who want to list some or all of the files they've downloaded in their profile can use the Extra Info box in the "Your Info" form, though the 255 character limit may make it less than ideal for some.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dharden » May 8th, 2005, 1:58 pm

Jack wrote:
dharden wrote:Since the polls don't allow for preferential voting, I voted No. My second preference is to have it be user's choice, preferably with the default being "Do not display".

If you look at the options, the first one says "Yes, with user getting option to turn off(on)* the display."

As I said, user's choice. I may prefer that this not be done at all, but I think we agree that, if it is done, that option should be part of it.

On that point, our disagreement seems to be about what that option should default to. In your original post, you said 'Also, default being "Yes. Display files I've downloaded in my profile."' My position is that the default should be not to display files that have been downloaded. I can't see this as a trivial difference.

Having the default be not to display would bypass the question of how much advance notice to give current users. It would mean that it wouldn't be necessary to place the checkbox or button or link for toggling the option was placed where it'd be sure to be seen. It could be handled on the "Your Account" page in much the same way that public messaging is, but it wouldn't matter if someone didn't see it right away because they didn't scroll down far enough. OTOH, if the default is to display, it would matter.

One reason I feel so strongly about this is that simply knowing what files a user had downloaded, but not why they'd downloaded any particular ones or what they'd done with any of them, doesn't convey as much information as some people might think. It's possible that someone who thinks it conveys more information than it does could form, and possibly spread, a rather inaccurate picture of that user.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jack » May 8th, 2005, 4:07 pm

I personally don't care. I just thought it would be fun.

But, beyond that, You're somewhat correct. I think that when someone registers there should be a forum/users rights(privileges) that should be read to tell them what's what. Either that, or make it so that during the registration process that user goes through their "Personal Information". Or both.
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby dharden » May 12th, 2005, 6:56 pm

Jack wrote: make it so that during the registration process that user goes through their "Personal Information".

Perhaps that could be done by having the "Your Info" form open up after successful completion of the registration form. I'd think that anything entered there could still be stored in the new user database, and would still be dropped after 24 hours if there was no response to the confirmation email.

I'd expect that most people would still choose to have blank, or nearly blank, profiles, but they'd at least see the form and know it was there.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Site Improvements