Triggers?

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Triggers?

Postby demigraff » November 13th, 2006, 12:49 pm

This month I've been trying out the IMaccept file, as well as a few others. So far I haven't had any success with IM triggers, but today I was searching for an old forum post to jog my memory about something, and I came across one which includes a trigger in the message. That seems to work for me, so I'm wondering how many other people it might apply to.

I know I've seen phpBB forums where an anti-swearing mod has been used to, for example, change links to a rival site to say "***hahaha, you can't link there***". Would it be feasible for us to have something similar changing trigger phrases to something like "[trigger for TrigPuppy file]" or something like that?

I know it would probably take a while to put in the list of triggers, and people are usually smart enough not to include triggers in their messages, but I think it could well be worthwhile to implement something like this just for the rare occasions where it could cause someone problems.

Or should people who can be triggered in this way just learn to be a little paranoid, and not check the forums at work or whatever?
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Triggers

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » November 14th, 2006, 10:09 am

Is it possible there's another factor involved?

To be affected by an IM trigger, a subject must be able to trance using text cues. That's less effective for subjects who work with hypnotists or with MP3s (verbal cues).

Adding a layer of complexity (as you've suggested) wouldn't be successful for someone like me. At the same time, I wonder if a simple text trigger could generate (as a response) an immediate urge for a verbal session.
    EXAMPLE:
    * You enjoy hypnosis.
    * You want to be hypnotized again.
    * When you receive an instant message "YOUR SESSION IS READY", you respond quickly and obediently.
Disclaimer: The trigger in this example is just an example. It would be a waste of time to contact me via IM, expecting this trigger to work.
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby Jacara » November 14th, 2006, 6:37 pm

I think people who train themselves to respond to seeing the trigger typed, as well as using EMG's open-ended trigger files ("when anyone says the phrase...") have got to be intentionally opening themselves up to the possibility of embarassing situations.
It's like handing out keys to your house and then buying a guard dog because you're worried about security. If you don't want just anyone to be able to get in, then change the locks (in this case your trigger).
Jacara
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Triggers

Postby demigraff » November 15th, 2006, 5:55 am

MN_FriendlyGuy wrote:Is it possible there's another factor involved?

To be affected by an IM trigger, a subject must be able to trance using text cues. That's less effective for subjects who work with hypnotists or with MP3s (verbal cues).

Adding a layer of complexity (as you've suggested) wouldn't be successful for someone like me. At the same time, I wonder if a simple text trigger could generate (as a response) an immediate urge for a verbal session.
    EXAMPLE:
    * You enjoy hypnosis.
    * You want to be hypnotized again.
    * When you receive an instant message "YOUR SESSION IS READY", you respond quickly and obediently.
Disclaimer: The trigger in this example is just an example. It would be a waste of time to contact me via IM, expecting this trigger to work.

I'm sorry, but ... I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Jacara wrote:I think people who train themselves to respond to seeing the trigger typed, as well as using EMG's open-ended trigger files ("when anyone says the phrase...") have got to be intentionally opening themselves up to the possibility of embarassing situations.
It's like handing out keys to your house and then buying a guard dog because you're worried about security. If you don't want just anyone to be able to get in, then change the locks (in this case your trigger).

I don't have a problem with being triggered by people who know what the trigger is and want to have some fun. Or even (in certain IRC channels) by people who randomly want to try out triggers set by files from this website and others.

It just bothers me when people who are talking about a file say things like "I've been experimenting with the "Dinosaur time for you" file for a few days now and it isn't working" instead of using the name of the file. On the IRC channel, there's a rule against using triggers like that. Is it too big a stretch to suggest something similar for the forums?
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » November 15th, 2006, 11:00 am

I agree with the logic being used here. However, I think I'm going to use a simpler filter (killing one word from the phrase "Time for you") since that would destroy about 99% of the triggers on the site. I will also post a note in the administrative forum asking that people not post triggers in Messages and I will warn users that post triggers(assuming anyone notifies me since I do not read ALL the forums). Sound like a plan?
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Site Improvements