Glitch in the PM module?

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Glitch in the PM module?

Postby dharden » May 12th, 2005, 7:07 pm

Has anyone else noticed that, after submitting a private message, it sometimes gets saved in the Outbox insted of the Savebox?
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby n00b » May 12th, 2005, 7:27 pm

The outbox is where messages that are sent, but not yet read go.
n00b
Regular
Regular

Postby dharden » May 12th, 2005, 8:02 pm

n00b wrote:The outbox is where messages that are sent, but not yet read go.

No offense intended, n00b, but that doesn't jibe with there being a "new post" button there, or with being able to edit posts in the Outbox.

However, I just checked and noticed that the message which prompted me to send this has moved from Outbox to Sentbox. Maybe it serves as a holding area in case a message can't be sent immediately.

Whether it also serves as something like a drafts folder is something I haven't been able to figure out yet, though it looks as if it should.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby sandy82 » May 12th, 2005, 8:26 pm

The labeling of the PM boxes/functions is counter-intuitive.

Here's the way I have tried to explain it to myself.

1. Click on "PM" and a form appears. You type your private message. Then you have two choices: "Preview" and "Submit".

2. When you're satisfied with the contents, you choose "Submit."

3. The message then goes into the site's "mail sorting facility." A copy of the message goes into your Outbox. Every message in the Outbox has a gold bell next to it--meaning that the message has not yet been opened by the recipient.

4. When the recipient actually opens your message at his end, your copy of the message will go from the Outbox to the Sentbox. All messages in the Sentbox have a white bell next to them. This indicates not only that the recipient got your message, but also that he opened your message.

5. If you don't go through the steps necessary to save messages sent and received, messages you receive will stay in your inbox. If one message remains there, you will continue to see that "You have 1 private message(s)." After a while that becomes annoying; so you either delete the message you've already read...or you save it.

6. If you don't save or delete messages you send, they will accumulate in your Sentbox. If you save them, they will accumulate in your Savebox. Six of one and three dozen of the other--as they probably teach under "No Child Left Behind." :wink:

7. The trick to the PM system is to remember: Inbox-Outbox-Sentbox-Savebox.

I have never tried to edit a message already in the Outbox. Before I try that, perhaps someone can test the mail system and see whether they can send me a bottle of 100-proof vodka.

- - - - - - - - -

Note to johnbohnrevenge, after his posting below:

You have described the workings and function of the Outbox succinctly.

I would add one point to your good explanation. Technically, the recipient merely has to open his incoming message in order to have it considered as "read." It's his choice whether to experience the pleasure (or endure the pain) of actually seeing what the incoming message contains.

johnbohnrevenge wrote:No, PHPBB handles outbound messages by storing them in the Outbox (no limit on your part) while they're still unread by their recipients.
Last edited by sandy82 on May 13th, 2005, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby johnbohnrevenge » May 13th, 2005, 4:05 am

No, PHPBB handles outbound messages by storing them in the Outbox (no limit on your part) while they're still unread by their recipients.
dharden wrote:
n00b wrote:The outbox is where messages that are sent, but not yet read go.

No offense intended, n00b, but that doesn't jibe with there being a "new post" button there, or with being able to edit posts in the Outbox.

However, I just checked and noticed that the message which prompted me to send this has moved from Outbox to Sentbox. Maybe it serves as a holding area in case a message can't be sent immediately.

Whether it also serves as something like a drafts folder is something I haven't been able to figure out yet, though it looks as if it should.
johnbohnrevenge
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dharden » May 14th, 2005, 3:07 pm

johnbohnrevenge wrote:No, PHPBB handles outbound messages by storing them in the Outbox (no limit on your part) while they're still unread by their recipients.

I see that now. It's just not anything I expected from something labeled an "Outbox". Thanks to those who responded, and n00b, I apologize for doubting you on this.

Maybe this thread should be made sticky, or boiled down and placed in the FAQ, in case someone else has a similar "wtf" moment.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Site Improvements