A buddy list...

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

A buddy list...

Postby danmalara » April 6th, 2005, 8:52 pm

Hey EMG, maybe having a buddy/friends list would be a good idea. I'm not a web page designer or anything, but if it's possible, a buddy list would be great. Having a way to add friends and easily PM them (instead of going through the member list) would add to the greatness of this already great site!! :lol:
My MIND is happy. BLANK and empty. BRAINwashing is GOOD for me.
danmalara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Folsom_god » April 12th, 2005, 7:01 pm

indeed it would be special
Folsom_god
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Hatebreeder » April 12th, 2005, 7:47 pm

Goes to show how much attention I paid. I didn't even notice there was a PM feature until you mentioned it. :lol:
If I was a bit more sleep deprived I might have started wondering what the Prime Minister button did
Hatebreeder

Postby danmalara » April 12th, 2005, 7:49 pm

What's a Prime Minister button??
danmalara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Folsom_god » April 12th, 2005, 7:50 pm

HAhahahahha wow hes being funny but ur an idiot dan so u cant understand
Folsom_god
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Hatebreeder » April 12th, 2005, 8:01 pm

heh. must be a bleary-eyed sleep-deprived irish thing. PM=Prime Minister. it was corny and stupid BEFORE, now it's well and truly flogged to death.
Oh well...
Hatebreeder

Postby Folsom_god » April 12th, 2005, 8:56 pm

most americans wouldnt understand prime minister. but im not most americans
Folsom_god
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Folsom_god » April 12th, 2005, 10:29 pm

EMG MAKE BUDDY LIST
Folsom_god
Mentor
Mentor

Postby EMG » April 13th, 2005, 1:15 am

At the moment, not a HIGH priority, once I take care of about 3-4 other projects then I'll see what I can do. If you can find a buddy list piece for PHP Nuke I might move it up on the list.

Folsom_god wrote:EMG MAKE BUDDY LIST
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby danmalara » April 13th, 2005, 7:03 pm

Well, are you going to tell us what the other 3-4 things on your list are, or are you going to make us wait till they have been made???
danmalara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby sandy82 » April 26th, 2005, 5:26 pm

Dan, until there is a buddy list, there is another feature you might like. Go to the members list. Click on PM for the first named individual, which I think was a test member-file for the new site. When the PM form opens, there is a button to the right of the already entered addressee. This opens a search engine in a window in the upper-left corner of your screen. You can enter all or part of your friend's name, and the search program will display all hits. Pick the one you want, and his/her name will then appear as addressee in the PM form. Proceed to write your message.

It's much quicker than going through the members list, looking for someone who hasn't posted in one of the forums for a while.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby danmalara » April 26th, 2005, 9:22 pm

sandy82 wrote:Dan, until there is a buddy list, there is another feature you might like. Go to the members list. Click on PM for the first named individual, which I think was a test member-file for the new site. When the PM form opens, there is a button to the right of the already entered addressee. This opens a search engine in a window in the upper-left corner of your screen. You can enter all or part of your friend's name, and the search program will display all hits. Pick the one you want, and his/her name will then appear as addressee in the PM form. Proceed to write your message.

It's much quicker than going through the members list, looking for someone who hasn't posted in one of the forums for a while.

Thanks. That solves the PMing problem, but I would like to just have a place where I could see what friends are online. And just having a list of friends makes you feel like you have friends. :lol:
danmalara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby sandy82 » April 30th, 2005, 7:36 pm

danmalara wrote: Thanks. That solves the PMing problem, but I would like to just have a place where I could see what friends are online. And just having a list of friends makes you feel like you have friends. :lol:

How about the list at the bottom of the main Forums page. As of this writing, it says:

"In total there are 6 users online :: 5 Registered, 1 Hidden and 0 Guests."

It then gives the names of the five open users, but not the name of the hidden user. The "hidden user" function is not used very often; so the list on the Forums page should provide the info you want.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby danmalara » April 30th, 2005, 11:27 pm

Sandy, your too funny. lol You've solved another problem and it was right under my nose. I was aware of both the things you've helped out with, but I haven't thought of using them. lol Thanks again, but that still leaves one problem. I want a list of friends just to have a list of friends. :lol: . Thanks again Sandy.
danmalara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jack » May 1st, 2005, 12:33 am

I'm not throroughly sure, but I think that the list at the bottom of the forums page isn't all-inclusive. As far as I can tell it only lists the people looking at the forum page(?) or, the person(s) perusing the forums. Could use some clarification on this, if EMG should choose to respond.
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » May 1st, 2005, 2:15 am

you are correct, it only lists the members currently in the forums. A full list of everyong online woud be a tad longer and I actually do like the buddy list idea, I just haven't had time to find one for PHP Nuke or design one myself.

Jack wrote:I'm not throroughly sure, but I think that the list at the bottom of the forums page isn't all-inclusive. As far as I can tell it only lists the people looking at the forum page(?) or, the person(s) perusing the forums. Could use some clarification on this, if EMG should choose to respond.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sandy82 » May 5th, 2005, 9:55 am

EMG wrote:A full list of everyone online woud be a tad longer and I actually do like the buddy list idea, I just haven't had time to find one for PHP Nuke or design one myself.

Any seemingly sage comments from me on programming would make Judge Roy Bean look honest. Having said that, I plunge ahead.

The Buddy List is probably more complicated since it would involve potential "individual accounts" for each user. But the "everyone online" idea looks straightforward.

-- At log-on, add username to pre-specified "Users Online" list.
-- At log-off, delete username from pre-specified "Users Online" list.

Since the identity of guests is presumably unknown, there's no need to put them on a list used for sending PMs. On the other hand, it causes no harm to list them if it is easier to do so.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » May 5th, 2005, 11:47 am

Actually, the site already tracks who is online, it has that statistic on the right hand of the page. Building a Buddy list would only require that I search that list for matching names that are stored connected to your account. I'd only have to add 1 table to the database to track that. Still, it would probably take me 2-3 days to build and I only have so much time.

sandy82 wrote:
Any seemingly sage comments from me on programming would make Judge Roy Bean look honest. Having said that, I plunge ahead.

The Buddy List is probably more complicated since it would involve potential "individual accounts" for each user. But the "everyone online" idea looks straightforward.

-- At log-on, add username to pre-specified "Users Online" list.
-- At log-off, delete username from pre-specified "Users Online" list.

Since the identity of guests is presumably unknown, there's no need to put them on a list used for sending PMs. On the other hand, it causes no harm to list them if it is easier to do so.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby danmalara » May 5th, 2005, 5:05 pm

EMG wrote:Actually, the site already tracks who is online, it has that statistic on the right hand of the page. Building a Buddy list would only require that I search that list for matching names that are stored connected to your account. I'd only have to add 1 table to the database to track that. Still, it would probably take me 2-3 days to build and I only have so much time.

I think you mean the left hand side... :)
danmalara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby deathjdstn » May 5th, 2005, 5:50 pm

well its who ever has logged into the forum as even tho everything on this site uses the same database and under the same system the forum is actualy seperate then all of the rest of the site just nuke managed to intergrate it within nuke so after you log into the site and click forums boom your name will show up if you click out of the forms it may take a bit of awhile be it will remove your name.

I been playing with this for the past few days on my site as i been looking for a decent portal system and i think so far this is one of the best nice and simple for the users to understand which is the key

by the way good find EMG if it was not for this site i would of never stumbled on to it.

anyways if i am wrong EMG please correct me but from my understanding is if someone wants they can just get this forums script without getting the whole nuke php as this forums is really another script in itself but was just intergrated.
deathjdstn
Regular
Regular

Re: reply

Postby EMG » May 5th, 2005, 11:21 pm

That is correct, the message system is PHPBB.

deathjdstn wrote:anyways if i am wrong EMG please correct me but from my understanding is if someone wants they can just get this forums script without getting the whole nuke php as this forums is really another script in itself but was just intergrated.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

researching

Postby deathjdstn » May 6th, 2005, 7:51 am

i found some buddy list system for php nuke once i get it intergrated to my site and get it running then i will give a copy to EMG and its up to him if he wants to intergrate it on this site or not i tried yesturday but it failed trying to do some debugging and such and find out why its not working right but once i find a solution then i can see if its worth giving out to emg or not. i am looking at other scipts too for both me and EMG to use

A side note tho i am doing this as just a favor to help make this community better as i am not a partner nor offical of this site so please do not mistaken me for such as this project is the site owner(s) i just like to contribute to what i can as at the moment i have no financal means as i am hitting a finacal problem myself but i have other resources to help us grow :)
deathjdstn
Regular
Regular

I got

Postby deathjdstn » May 6th, 2005, 5:32 pm

i got the buddy list system on my site to work i am trying to talk to EMG

and see what we can work out
deathjdstn
Regular
Regular

buddy list

Postby deathjdstn » May 6th, 2005, 6:13 pm

again i am debugging this buddy list finaly got it working nicely

soon as you log in weather or not your in the forums it tracks you as being online how ever not sure if its a cookie issue or what but it does not update right away when you log off line

for example lets say i have joe as my friend on my list and it he logs online it shows in online right away but when he logs off it will take awhile before it relizes he went off line

it takes 10 mins after a person to log off before it relizes he is offline but soon as he logs online its instant

nothing is perfect but its still a nice buddy list system
deathjdstn
Regular
Regular

Postby sandy82 » May 6th, 2005, 7:12 pm

deathjdstn, it sounds like you are doing a super job on debugging the Buddy List. I know everyone here appreciates your efforts!
sandy82
Guru
Guru

buddy

Postby deathjdstn » May 6th, 2005, 11:34 pm

well like i said its something i was looking for my site but i love the site and the work EMG does on it and i love to help any ways i can

how does EMG say it in his files?

any way. shape or form :)

any ways its debugged i learned the script i got it intergrated with php nuke on my site if EMG has time and such him and i can discuss if its something he wants for this site and if so we both need time to work together and modify files and such to get it intergrated

If you want to see what it looks like pm me i will then direct you to mysite as i do not want to do advertising on here as its not right to do so but keep in mind only features is up on my site no content as i am not ready for content yet still trying to add some features my next project is adding a full chat system on mines.
deathjdstn
Regular
Regular

Postby danmalara » May 7th, 2005, 12:28 am

Why don't you post your site in your profile. I don't want to have to pm you and I'm curious. Like EMG has the little "WWW" button next to the "PM" button, underneath every post. You should do that unless you have a reason not to, of course.
danmalara
Mentor
Mentor

update

Postby deathjdstn » May 7th, 2005, 2:56 am

i found a major issue with the buddy list thing it caused some issues fixing it and we will see what happens i will keep you all informed
deathjdstn
Regular
Regular

Return to Site Improvements