Download improvement

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Download improvement

Postby vanman » June 7th, 2007, 12:33 pm

Great site, thanks.

I have one problem though. My download manager shows that I cannot resume downloads if it is stopped or the line is dropped. This is the first site that I have seen where this happens. I can only connect with a dial-up connection (not fast) and I pay per Mb up/downloaded. It is heartbreaking for me to download a file of 20 Mb just to lose the connection and having to start from scratch after downloading 19Mb.

I do not know if a setting on the server must be changed or if it is like that intentionally. Would you be able to activate download resuming? If you can my wallet and me will thank you very much.

Cheers!
vanman

Postby Jack » June 7th, 2007, 7:34 pm

What browser(s) do you have on what platform with what download manager?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell
"By doing certain things certain results follow." A. Crowley, Book of Lies
"Dum spiro, spero." - Cicero
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby vanman » June 7th, 2007, 10:42 pm

Firefox 2.0.0.4 on WinXP SP2 with Free Download Manager 2.0. I assume now that I am the only person with this problem. My apologies for posting in "Site improvements"

Like I said, I never had any problems on any other site. Do you know of any good download managers?

Regards[/img]
vanman

Postby Jack » June 8th, 2007, 10:21 pm

Have you tried just using the functionality that comes with firefox? When I download with it directly, if the connection is lost or anything in that way, it will let me resume the download where it was stopped.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell
"By doing certain things certain results follow." A. Crowley, Book of Lies
"Dum spiro, spero." - Cicero
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby vanman » June 10th, 2007, 6:14 am

I tried it, no luck. When the line is dropped on my side, (power failure or my dog thinking that he phone-line is a "chewy"), I can resume the download. Firefox just starts from the beginning.

According to Firefox the downloads are complete (nothing to resume from), but when I play the files the length is wrong and you can hear where the file was cut.

I asked one of my friends (in the IT department of some company) about it. His words were, "The counter is reset when the connection times-out"?? He thinks that the server might be set like that due to bandwidth restrictions (low cost hosting), or else might be using old software that does not allow files to be downloaded in pieces. That is one of the reasons that I posted it in "Site Improvements".

Seeing that I am the only person that has this problem, that might not be correct. I am stumped. I have spent about $40 in bandwidth just to have 22 complete files.[/u]
vanman

Postby sarnoga » June 10th, 2007, 10:02 am

Maybe it would be cheaper for you to find another service provider that doesn't charge you for downloads. Or do you live in some country that regulates internet access in such a way that such a service provider is not available to you? Just a thought.

Sarnoga
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby vanman » June 11th, 2007, 5:09 am

I can get fixed line broadband at about $40 a month or wireless broadband at double that, if I stayed at any location for more than a month. Unfortunately I move around a lot and what I have seems to work best for everything else (except downloading from this site).

BTW, I like your "The road home"

Subject closed I guess.

Cheers
vanman

Return to Site Improvements