Software to 'Ignore' annoying members and their posts

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Software to 'Ignore' annoying members and their posts

Postby bandler » May 30th, 2011, 12:02 pm

Several members have developed the unfortunate habit of posting annoyingly stupid or irrelevant comments. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to block their posts? For example, you could block this post if it annoys you! Wouldn't that be great?
Last edited by bandler on May 31st, 2011, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandler
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Software to 'Ignore' annoying members and their posts

Postby EMG » May 30th, 2011, 5:44 pm

Yes it would, and when I have time it is on my TTD list. Just not sure when.

bandler wrote:Several members have developed the annoying habit of posting annoyingly stupid or irrelevant comments. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to block their posts? For example, you could block this post if it annoys you! Wouldn't that be great?
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby KIY » July 1st, 2011, 6:59 am

Presumably it would be a "kill file"-- each user would be able to set their account not to show posts made by users of their choice.
KIY
Mentor
Mentor

Re: blocking certain members

Postby angel123 » August 5th, 2011, 11:28 am

wetbabypeepants wrote:I would use this facilty on WMM. Good idea.

Me too :)
[color=indigo:64c8e3527f]Trying hard :p[/color:64c8e3527f]
angel123
Mentor
Mentor

Ah

Postby mondaytuesday » February 1st, 2013, 4:42 pm

Ah. This explains why hypno fetish seems so much like a ghost town to me.

Here too.

Eek. Kinda inches when your just earnest and paid premium member who regularly purchases pay files.
mondaytuesday
Mentor
Mentor

Postby mondaytuesday » February 1st, 2013, 5:07 pm

Oh yeah. It's down right funny to delete your account at hypno-fetish and then read the home page scroll and there is a whole world of conversation and people who were never showing up when I was a member. There would barely be anyone on.

Is it prejudice? Snobbery? A feeling of superiority?

Really should be stated how exclusive actual participation is from the beginning.
mondaytuesday
Mentor
Mentor

Postby EMG » February 1st, 2013, 5:19 pm

Well, WMM is currently being rebuilt, we are moving to a non-obsolete(non-phpnuke) system. Don't expect anything Too soon, but by 2014 I plan to have a new system online and I hope to have better integration between messages, photos, and chat which have always been painful. At that time, I expect that blocking annoying people will be possible.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mondaytuesday » February 1st, 2013, 5:42 pm

Do you have some guidance on not being annoying. Because I really do not want to be. Honestly. I've enjoyed this.
mondaytuesday
Mentor
Mentor

Postby swmnkdinthervr » February 5th, 2013, 5:38 am

Be careful what you wish for! Sadly the ability to block others has the potentially be used to alienate or snub others by small groups, that can both be a good/bad thing.

Unfortunately my comments in a forum were taken as negative by a couple of (in my mind) overly sensitive members and I would now undoubtedly be blocked. As I mentioned at the time I really appreciated their comments/contributions to that discussion. I don't want that misunderstanding to be able to block me from reading what they have to offer in the forums or anywhere on this site!!!

What good is a paid membership if I am blocked from content???
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby HypnoCactus » February 5th, 2013, 8:02 am

It's not an absolute necessity, but a luxury perhaps. perhaps one way around the concerns of exclusivity and bullying is to make it a oneway block. You may not want to see when I post in the forum, for example, but that doesnt necessarily mean your posts are blocked from me. But i dont know how viable that is. Make sense?
HypnoCactus
Regular
Regular

Postby zapnosis » February 5th, 2013, 8:36 am

swmnkdinthervr I think you're worrying too much. I get the feeling that this request is mostly due to spam and abusive messages on the forum or via PM. Both crop up occasionally and an ignore feature allows users to nip such things in the bud. It's true that some users may not be reasonable in using such a feature, but I reckon the majority will be pretty cool with it.

Z
"Feelings, sensations that you thought was dead,
no squealing... remember that it's all in your head"
zapnosis
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Site Improvements