repression of culture

For discussing Anything and Everything.

Moderator: EMG

repression of culture

Postby kunoichi » May 31st, 2012, 5:33 pm

I was thinking about a statement I once heard. "the more repressed a culture the more extreme it's outlets. basically I am an otaku so i know about some extreme outlets because my hobby comes from japan and that got me thinking. is that necesarily the truth in all cases because that means a culture with no rules is..... what..... boring????? I was just curious.

p.s. Is it just me or dose repression of a culture just make it more awsome?

p.s.s. btw I am not for the repression of culture it's just a trend I noticed.{official disclaimer.}
kunoichi
Mentor
Mentor

Re: repression of culture

Postby Tangy » July 16th, 2012, 9:28 pm

kunoichi wrote:I was thinking about a statement I once heard. "the more repressed a culture the more extreme it's outlets. basically I am an otaku so i know about some extreme outlets because my hobby comes from japan and that got me thinking. is that necesarily the truth in all cases because that means a culture with no rules is..... what..... boring????? I was just curious.

p.s. Is it just me or dose repression of a culture just make it more awsome?

p.s.s. btw I am not for the repression of culture it's just a trend I noticed.{official disclaimer.}

???
Tangy
Guru
Guru

Postby kunoichi » July 17th, 2012, 12:57 am

i was jusyt seeing what you guys thought of the idea. the whole thing started when somone literally told me the more repressed a culture the weird/greeter it's out lets but if you follow that logic tgen a society without repression should be boring. right? thats the idea. thanks for letting me know I wasn't making since.
kunoichi
Mentor
Mentor

Postby stephiebaby » August 3rd, 2012, 4:02 pm

Japan is an excellent example of a repressed culture exploding into weirdness, but the weirdness is all the more obvious because of how repressed the culture is. In a less repressed culture "weirdness" should be more mainstream, not as noticable. There would also be more avenues of exploration for people to pursue, so less of a need for people to jump in the deep end. Less repressed societies would not be boring, its just the weirdness would be more normal.
stephiebaby
Regular
Regular

Return to Idle Chatter