Any Australians out there?

For discussing Anything and Everything.

Moderator: EMG

Any Australians out there?

Postby atgreco » April 23rd, 2005, 11:39 am

Hey all, haven't been to the site for a while and got a surprise when i saw the new lay out. It looks great i must admit. Anyways, i was wondering how many, if any, Australians were members of the site?
atgreco

Postby johnbohnrevenge » April 23rd, 2005, 6:24 pm

As ashamed as I am to say it, yes.
johnbohnrevenge
Mentor
Mentor

Postby thejesterinacast » April 24th, 2005, 5:29 am

why would you be ashamed of it?
thejesterinacast
Regular
Regular

Postby thejesterinacast » April 24th, 2005, 5:52 am

actually, i am australian. what would you rather be? we have perfect weather, decent cities, clean water, good education system. the only thing we're missing is interesting history. any country colonised within the last 500 years just isn't worth reading about. YES THAT INCLUDES YOU AMERICA! ancient rome or greece or the renaissance. now there's some places worth reading about. hmm, got kinda sidetracked there. so back to where i started, what's there to be ashamed of?
thejesterinacast
Regular
Regular

Postby johnbohnrevenge » April 24th, 2005, 4:36 pm

Melbourne as well.
As for the shame thing: Would it surprise you if I told you I have a fear of democracy, order and peacefulness?
And soap operas?
johnbohnrevenge
Mentor
Mentor

Postby thejesterinacast » April 24th, 2005, 7:54 pm

soap operas i'll grant you, but what country has a better democracy? sure, all politicians are lying bastards, but as far as they go on in comparison to the rest of the world ours aren't that bad. at least howard was clearly elected, although he really shouldn't have been. it beats italy or america or any number of other western countries where it's just whoever can manipulate the system best. electing howard is the only thing i'd feel ashamed for, but latham had a very poorly run campaign so although i think he was the better choice, you can forgive people for sticking with howard.
thejesterinacast
Regular
Regular

Postby thejesterinacast » April 24th, 2005, 10:00 pm

i disagree. i think he is an extremely intelligent man, but also an evil, amoral bastard and the only reason he hasn't manipulated the system is because the public are gullible and scared enough to vote for him.
thejesterinacast
Regular
Regular

Postby Maca » April 25th, 2005, 1:40 am

Yes, that would be right. I come on this site to get away from all the carry on in the real world, and find all this stuff about John Howard on THIS SITE!!! Oh well, sex, politics and religion, I guess you can never get away from them. Please do not start a conversation on religion. And yes, I am another Aussie. I am from Ballarat. :roll:
Maca

Postby johnbohnrevenge » April 25th, 2005, 4:36 am

Maca wrote:Yes, that would be right. I come on this site to get away from all the carry on in the real world, and find all this stuff about John Howard on THIS SITE!!! Oh well, sex, politics and religion, I guess you can never get away from them. Please do not start a conversation on religion. And yes, I am another Aussie. I am from Ballarat. :roll:
My apologies; I guess I started it.
You seriously don't think that Howard and Latham are just as bigoted? I think I ended up voting blank so I could disclaim responsibility.
johnbohnrevenge
Mentor
Mentor

Postby kitnoki » April 25th, 2005, 1:40 pm

the only thing we're missing is interesting history. any country colonised within the last 500 years just isn't worth reading about. YES THAT INCLUDES YOU AMERICA

oh come on,,, how can you say that... both your nation and ours, has the great histort of being colonized by criminals and misfits :D hehe whats not to be proud of there?
kitnoki
Regular
Regular

Postby Linja » April 26th, 2005, 2:10 am

Yeah, I'm Australian too, and like most of you guys I'm also in Melbourne. I have to say that I agree that our history sucks, but at least it's pretty clean. Also, what's wrong with 'ole Howard? I reckon he's doing pretty good.

-Linja
Linja
Mentor
Mentor

Postby thejesterinacast » April 26th, 2005, 2:20 am

out of respect to maca (i think it was him who didn't want the politics to invade here) i won't get into it, but i think there's a lot wrong with howard and i'll leave it at that.

and that_guy, essendon won convincingly. wasn't a great game really, especially seeing as i barrack for the pies. at least shaw had his first good game ever and travis cloke had a great debut. sad to see hird get reported though. he's usually so clean and that was such a pathetic thing to do, especially to such a clean and respectable player as wakelin. really beneath him.
thejesterinacast
Regular
Regular

Postby Linja » April 26th, 2005, 2:50 am

Yeah, you're right, sorry man, I won't go into it.

Would anybody here mind if I started up a topic on Howard? And would you want to contribute?
Linja
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Maca » April 26th, 2005, 4:28 am

Thanks thejesterinacast, but I am a her, not a him. Maybe we could just talk about football and forget Howard. Carn the Blues!
Maca

Postby Linja » April 26th, 2005, 4:40 am

Alright, if you wanna talk about footy, then I'm a Collingwood supporter who personally thinks that eddie should go fuck himself.
Linja
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Folsom_god » April 26th, 2005, 10:17 pm

im from Adelaide but i moved to US. My mums from melbourne. So ya im an aussie i guess

i dont follow footy any more but what the hell

Go crows

What about all the abo history stuff?
Folsom_god
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Linja » April 27th, 2005, 12:15 am

What history?

I don't mean to sound offensive, but they didn't record their history due to a lack of written language. They did have cave-paintings, but that's about it. There's not much else that we can tell from their past for these reasons, all we have are stories passed down from elder to elder.

They do have an interesting system of believe though, with all their Dreamtime and stuff.

-Linja
Linja
Mentor
Mentor

Postby thejesterinacast » April 27th, 2005, 1:12 am

i don't wish to sound offensive either, but like many other countries and societies i have absolutely no interest in aboriginal history. for any history to really engage me it needs complicated politics, huge cultural or technological advances and a few wars thrown in for a bit of flavour. i have nothing against the aboriginal lifestyle or history, but i just can't get excited about it.

sorry maca, won't happen again. normally i'd start bagging you for being a blues supporter, but collingwood is really no better this year so i guess we can be civil at least until next season. by the way, would anyone be interested in a football thread?
thejesterinacast
Regular
Regular

Postby danmalara » April 27th, 2005, 8:42 pm

hey man, I didn't ask anyone if they wanted a korn thread. It's just what I wanted, so if you want a football one then go for it.

...like the austrailians would say, "no worries mate" lol :lol:
My MIND is happy. BLANK and empty. BRAINwashing is GOOD for me.
danmalara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Folsom_god » April 27th, 2005, 9:35 pm

dan you cant post here your not australian....it just goes against eveything
Folsom_god
Mentor
Mentor

Postby thejesterinacast » April 28th, 2005, 4:24 am

good point dan. i probly should start one anyway. any forigners here follow aussie rules? really is the world's best spectator sport. every exchange student i've been friends with has taken to it.

by the way, did my fellow aussies know that even if you set the Word dictionary onto English (AUS) it still doesn't accept the word "fuckwit", despite being in incredibly common usage here and legal to say on drivetime radio and on tv after 8pm? actually, i'm not so sure about morning drive time cos Will Anderson and Tripod copped some flak for it last year. but definitely in the afternoon, that's where i heard a discussion on it. surprising how high-brow a conversation on swear words can sound. i forget how i got onto this. oh yeah, that_guy's post. good point, we do swear a lot more casually without sounding offensive than most countries. anyone ever read any of the xenophobes guides? the one on australia was spot on for swearing. as it says, "Australians call a spade a bloody shovel"
thejesterinacast
Regular
Regular

Postby makidas » April 28th, 2005, 10:44 pm

makes me wish i was an aussie :D :D :D
makidas
Guru
Guru

Postby makidas » April 28th, 2005, 11:56 pm

SWEEEET!!
makidas
Guru
Guru

Postby kitnoki » April 29th, 2005, 8:05 pm

that_guy_812 wrote:Aussie is a frame of mind, mate LOL :lol:

Hmmmm perhaps we need TrainAussie file? :D
kitnoki
Regular
Regular

Postby makidas » April 30th, 2005, 12:46 am

fuk that shit!! im patriotic enough by dis-liking the president! lol :) :) :)
makidas
Guru
Guru

Postby johnbohnrevenge » April 30th, 2005, 6:11 am

Hey! That's a great idea. Hypnosis... patriotism! Hypnosis... patriotism!

I'm one step closer to world domination... :lol:
johnbohnrevenge
Mentor
Mentor

Postby danmalara » April 30th, 2005, 11:47 am

mak.....are you a democrat? tsk tsk
danmalara
Mentor
Mentor

g'day sports

Postby starlight » May 6th, 2005, 5:49 am

hey im also australian and also in melbourne tie me kangaroo down sports
starlight

Postby Maca » May 7th, 2005, 12:05 am

Is there any Australians on this site that are not Victorians? Everyone seems to be from Melbourne, except me, I am just up the road at Ballarat. Surely there must be some one from Queensland, NSW or even Tassie? Then again, maybe all us Victorians have warped minds!
Maca

Postby johnbohnrevenge » May 8th, 2005, 6:02 am

Maca wrote:Is there any Australians on this site that are not Victorians? Everyone seems to be from Melbourne, except me, I am just up the road at Ballarat. Surely there must be some one from Queensland, NSW or even Tassie? Then again, maybe all us Victorians have warped minds!
My mind isn't warped. That's why I visit this site! (laughs at people who have already warped their minds)
Now run, little monkeys. Run!
johnbohnrevenge
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Folsom_god » May 8th, 2005, 3:39 pm

just because mak thinks that bush is an idiot, total freaking idiot, doesnt mean hes a democrat.
Folsom_god
Mentor
Mentor

Postby makidas » May 8th, 2005, 11:39 pm

thank you folsom, lol :) :)
makidas
Guru
Guru

Postby danmalara » May 9th, 2005, 12:21 am

oh hell, I was just asking.
danmalara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby sandy82 » May 9th, 2005, 10:13 pm

Folsom_god wrote:just because mak thinks that bush is an idiot, total freaking idiot, doesnt mean hes a democrat.

Right you are! It means that Mak has good eyesight.

And this post is on point: Our Shrubbery and PM Howard were partners in a recent joint venture--one that still continues.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby aj » May 26th, 2005, 9:10 am

I'm Aussie. On the subject of politics. Lol. I just have to say we have a good system. Though we're just unfortunate that we don't have Howard and Beasley on the same team. Howard in charge of economics and Beasley of foreign policy. That would be an awesome combo.

Also. I'm an almighty Perthian. You know... that place that all the top bands come from? Also the cool footy players. And also we are the cleanest state capital in the world per person. Hmm.. what else makes Perth better then Victoria. Oh yeah, me. :)

Just joking. You have some of my relatives, can't insult you all tooooo much.
aj
Regular
Regular

Postby Agriff » May 26th, 2005, 1:43 pm

Linja wrote:I have to say that I agree that our history sucks, but at least it's pretty clean. -Linja

Actually England used your country as a big jail I believe :).

Fuckwit- I've never heard that word before, its an insult, right? Im gonna start using it if you don't mind.

I think if America get any more patriotic than it is, the approval would goto Bush's head and he'd start attacking more random countries. My view on an American patriotism file, just listen to the jock or bimbo files, they both drop your IQ, right? ;). The rest of you countries are on your own.

Sorry for posting in the Aussie forum I couldn't help it. Maybe there should be an American topic, seeing as it seems like the minority here..tons of Aussies on here, im starting to think theres an ad for WMM somehere in Melbourne.
Agriff
Mentor
Mentor

Postby aj » May 26th, 2005, 6:47 pm

Don't put all the American's in the same boat. If you think about it , due to voting not being compulsory, only 20% of America voted. Therefore only 10% of America wanted Bush.

Lots of them are actually ashamed of what their country is doing.
aj
Regular
Regular

Postby thejesterinacast » May 27th, 2005, 7:32 am

perth? hahaha. all the great footballers are from victoria, and most of them are from shepparton or bendigo or something. except maybe clement. i think he might be from perth.

fuckwit can be both an insult and a sort of endearing term. i recommend reading the xenophobe's guide to australia. there's guides for like 20 different countries and they're fairly accurate. it has this great bit on swearing that says australians are more likely to swear at their friends than their enemies, and it's so true. we "call a spade a fucking shovel". i may have already quoted that earlier in this thread. ah well.

by the way, the whole british penal colony thing, the vast majority of migrants to australia were neither criminal nor british. they were mostly irish and more recently italian, greek and chinese. there's actually quite a bit of elitism now for people descended from convicts seeing as there's so few. still, that's australia for you. always proud of being the underdog. just look at our war record. WWI: we won the psolm, but celebrate gallipoli. WWII: we won el alamein, but celebrate tobruk. Vietnam: we just plain sucked at that, we don't celebrate anything there but are more than happy to blame america for it.
thejesterinacast
Regular
Regular

Return to Idle Chatter