Are you afraid of death?

For discussing Anything and Everything.

Moderator: EMG

Are you afraid of death?

Postby charon2187 » March 15th, 2006, 5:41 pm

I for one am not afraid to die. The way I see it, death comes to us all, so what's the point?
Stewie Griffin: Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!

I wanna be a mermaid!
charon2187
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jack » March 15th, 2006, 6:22 pm

Who says I'm not already?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell
"By doing certain things certain results follow." A. Crowley, Book of Lies
"Dum spiro, spero." - Cicero
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby charon2187 » March 15th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Peter Griffin: Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits, it says, OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Brian: Peter those are Cheerios.

I wanna be a mermaid!
charon2187
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Mallic » March 15th, 2006, 10:53 pm

Hey, me and Stewie did that one already.
[url=http://www.purepwnage.com][img:70ca72257b]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/TWINTURBOSkyline/ppbanner.jpg[/img:70ca72257b][/url]
Mallic
Guru
Guru

Postby charon2187 » March 15th, 2006, 10:56 pm

C3PO: Curse my nOObie body, I wasn't fast enough!!!!!

I wanna be a mermaid!
charon2187
Mentor
Mentor

Postby makidas » March 16th, 2006, 12:34 am

You shouldn't fear death, but you should respect it and not be in a hurry to get there. Life is too short.
I may be wrong....

But what happens if I'm right?
makidas
Guru
Guru

Postby deathjdstn » March 16th, 2006, 5:24 am

what u think is on the other side

keep in mind i do believe in god and heaven and all that good stuff.

but really no one dies and comes back to tell us what is over there and people with near death experiences no one knows if thats dreams they experience and true experiences so really whats on the other side that awaits us
deathjdstn
Regular
Regular

Postby Jack » March 16th, 2006, 5:48 am

deathjdstn: really... how do you explain dreams when there's no recorded brain activity?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby deathjdstn » March 17th, 2006, 9:17 am

that is true lol i know someone that went through a coma situation and came out of it and later on told me what they experienced and they said they could not hear anything but that he was in a dream like state so like i said no one really knows when someone goes through near death experiences and the images and sites and sounds they experiences what does it truely signify.

is it something from the afterlife??

or is it a dream???

or something the mind is doing as a defensive measures to try to keep u alive and or sane.

who knows

so really how do we know what really awaits us on the other side..

i hope when i die that god awaits me on the other side and that my friend is what keeps me from being afraid of death.

however i am not affraid of death only because i know u cannot avoid it.
It will eventualy come and get u no matter what but what i am affraid of is how i will die i do not want to die a painfull death.
deathjdstn
Regular
Regular

Postby poetzero » March 17th, 2006, 1:13 pm

Having grown up across the street from a cemetary, I was very young when I learned the concept of life and death. Without experiencing death, one cannot FULLY experience life. It's part of the process. So, basically, no, I am not afraid of death. Does this make sense?
poetzero
Regular
Regular

Postby goldragon_70 » March 17th, 2006, 1:18 pm

poetzero wrote:Having grown up across the street from a cemetary, I was very young when I learned the concept of life and death. Without experiencing death, one cannot FULLY experience life. It's part of the process. So, basically, no, I am not afraid of death. Does this make sense?

For 15 years of my youth I lived next to a church/cemetery. The only problem is when you see there spirits, and you realize the door is opening and closing, even when the air was not turning on or off.
In my dreams I once said, "Ahh, Yes, but how many minds does my one mind hold?".
goldragon_70
Guru
Guru

Postby whatthe75 » March 18th, 2006, 9:43 pm

Not afraid of death , but am afraid of how i am gonna die.
BUT it will come so i am not gonna worry about it.Worrying isn't gonna change it. Will hopefully do as much with the living part as i can.
whatthe75
Guru
Guru

Postby ddt » March 25th, 2006, 6:09 pm

I am not afraid of death.

Just the pain that comes with it
ddt

Postby goldragon_70 » March 25th, 2006, 9:16 pm

I'm not afraid of death or the pain it brings. The pain is like birth, bringing you into the next, and death is just your character leaving the stage. 8) Besides you will only catch your death by worrying about it. :twisted:
In my dreams I once said, "Ahh, Yes, but how many minds does my one mind hold?".
goldragon_70
Guru
Guru

Postby jennieprice » April 17th, 2006, 7:09 pm

It's been said before that death comes to us all, but it's what's after that I'm interested in. You're going into the unknown, if there is contact, it's tough to prove to a skeptic.
So, am I afraid, no. I look on it as the start of another journey.

jennie
jennieprice

John Keats

Postby Janus » April 18th, 2006, 7:36 am

ON DEATH

Can death be sleep, when life is but a dream,
And scenes of bliss pass as phantoms by?
The transient pleasure as a vision seem,
And yet we think the greatest pain´s to die.

How strange it is that man on earth should roam,
And lead a life of woe, but not forsake
His rugged path; nor dare he view alone
His future doom which is but to awake.
[img:100553077a]http://static.flickr.com/23/39583875_77489e2c55_o.gif[/img:100553077a]
Janus

Postby getpumped87 » June 15th, 2006, 7:37 pm

I'm not scared of death...I'm scared of what's after it...I seriously can't think about afterlife because my body will convulse...not violently or anything, but enough to freak me out

no shit
getpumped87
Regular
Regular

Postby sleepy134 » June 26th, 2006, 9:55 am

When you discover there is no life after death, boy will your face be red.
sleepy134
Regular
Regular

Postby Jack » June 26th, 2006, 6:28 pm

or not
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby whatthe75 » June 27th, 2006, 12:32 am

i reckon his face would be more purple or blue. Unless it was squashed in a serious accident.
whatthe75
Guru
Guru

Postby drydreamer » November 11th, 2006, 10:40 am

I'm not afraid to die at all; but I'm afraid of living in pain or living as a crippled person. The past year has been very, VERY bad for me; and I have seriously considered suicide - even to the point of trying to find out how to get cyanide pills. I could not find any way to get them; but that would have been my choice if I did it. I really thought it would be good to just take a pill and die quickly; but then I started thinking of my cat and wondering what would happen to her if I checked out. I also realized that it would be very bad karma for me to chicken out like that; and I would be doomed to another incarnation with similar problems. So I didn't do it; and then things got better for me. I was unemployed for seven months, and finally got a good job three months ago. Now I'm slowly turning my life in the right direction; but six months ago, it would have been easy for me to take that cyanide pill if I had been able to get it. I didn't want to try a gun because some people have shot themselves in the head and lived anyway! Knives are too messy, and sometimes you just pass out before you get the job done. So I wanted a cyanide pill; but I guess only CIA agents can get them. Anyway, I'm glad to still be here with all you hairy assed humans, because I worked out my problems; and I can still have sex! Yea! drydreamer
Looking for a hands-on type lady who wants my hands off. But switching is fun too.
drydreamer
Regular
Regular

Postby missypuss » November 12th, 2006, 4:55 am

Im not afraid of death. I went through a time in my early teens when I spent a lot of time dwelling on it.

I think it was more the thought of how or when, than the actual dying.

As long as its not painful or horrific Im ok with the thought of it now.

And I have told everyone who knows me if, I become old and senile, I want to be taken to Switzerland, and helped to go peacefully, before Im kept alive in who knows what state at some UKs doctors whim.

Remember folks, no one here gets out alive! :wink:
missypuss
Guru
Guru

Postby sarnoga » November 15th, 2006, 6:02 pm

makidas wrote:You shouldn't fear death, but you should respect it and not be in a hurry to get there. Life is too short.

Why do people often say life is too short when it is the longest thing any of us ever experience.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby Lissar » November 16th, 2006, 12:55 am

I'm not afraid of death because I won't be the first or last person to die. Besides, why should I be afraid of it? I have too many other things to think about right now.

As for the afterlife, as a Jew and a scientist, I don't really think about it much. I mean, I suppose it would be nice, but very crowded, and I'd probably get really bored.

The problem with death is that we fundamentally cannot wrap our brains around the feeling of not existing. No matter what we do, we always exist. But I guess the good news is that we don't have to freak out about how we're going to deal with not existing because, well, we won't exist to freak out about it.

I don't particularly want to die, but when it happens, it happens. And I'll just live the best I can.
Lissar
Mentor
Mentor

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » November 21st, 2006, 1:35 pm

If death took on human form, each of us would see a different face.

* For many, that face would be fearful
    * For some, that face would be calming, restful
It's not surprising that a majority of WMM members aren't afraid of death. After all, our success with hypnosis depends on calmness within.

By contrast, dogma is a predictable outcome for someone with a fear of death. The ultimate mind-warping (beyond the scope of this website) would seem to be a repetitious chant about post-life-punishment.
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Return to Idle Chatter