For discussing Anything and Everything.

Moderator: EMG

Postby getpumped87 » July 7th, 2006, 10:51 pm

i'm 18
getpumped87
Regular
Regular

Postby Lissar » July 8th, 2006, 10:47 am

I'm 19, and I've also been a little unsure of the age limits when I've seen the whole "21" thing. But I think it's okay so long as you're a legal adult in your area of residence. Otherwise, I'm not 19 *shifty eyes*.
Lissar
Mentor
Mentor

Postby getpumped87 » July 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm

oh geez, i hope i don't get deleted now lol
getpumped87
Regular
Regular

Postby Jacara » July 8th, 2006, 10:42 pm

I didn't notice the age thing when I signed up (I'm over 21) but when I went looking for it just now I saw this right at the top of the home page:

This site is only intended for users 18 years and older, if you are under 18 please leave.

..so I think y'all are fine :)
Jacara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby deathjdstn » July 9th, 2006, 4:38 am

well with adult sites always its based off the laws in your area but EMG is not responsable for that, but you are the only thing EMG has to make sure to address is that this is an adult sites and that you are an adult i do suggest he put in his disclaimer that he puts in there that everyone should be aware of the laws in their county/state but at a federal level its 18
deathjdstn
Regular
Regular

Postby JoeyBaggadonuts » August 8th, 2006, 11:08 pm

Just for the record, the age of majority for most states in the US is 18. However, it doesnt matter where you live. I believe the laws that apply are where the site originates from or wherer the servers are located.

So, I think all of you are safe unless you are lying thru your keyboard. *Looks at the person with shifty eyes*

LOL
JoeyBaggadonuts

Postby Hyp-know-fetish » August 8th, 2006, 11:33 pm

I'm a terrible liar, I couldn't do something like that and not get caught. My boss finds that fact rather attractive in an employee. Probably what's kept my job so long. :D
Hyp-know-fetish
Mentor
Mentor

Postby JoeyBaggadonuts » August 9th, 2006, 2:49 am

are any of you young guys gay and looking for an older master? LOL just let me know.
JoeyBaggadonuts

Postby Hyp-know-fetish » August 9th, 2006, 1:40 pm

Well, thanks but no thanks, I'm straight. :)
Hyp-know-fetish
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Blink » August 9th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Hyp-know-fetish wrote:Well, thanks but no thanks, I'm straight. :)

We fix that here.

I'm not bi because I'm undecided. I'm bi because I'm greedy.

-- Blink

"Clinically proven to remove stubborn inhibitions."
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby ShadowSabre » August 9th, 2006, 9:12 pm

Wait, who said sexual orientation is something that needs "fixed"?

(I'm not male and over 21.)
ShadowSabre
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Lissar » August 9th, 2006, 10:11 pm

I'm not male, and we're also not so much on topic anymore.
Lissar
Mentor
Mentor

Postby JoeyBaggadonuts » August 9th, 2006, 11:10 pm

Well, it is Idle Chatter, isn't it?
JoeyBaggadonuts

Postby Blink » August 10th, 2006, 6:41 pm

ShadowSabre wrote:Wait, who said sexual orientation is something that needs "fixed"?

I thought it was pretty evident that I was kidding. I guess I was wrong.

I can refer anyone who'd care to look to the files that are intended to switch sexual orientation like jumpers on a patch panel. I see that as a comedic response to NARTH (which is pretty funny in and of itself), and nothing more.

If I offended, I assure you it was not my intent and I do apologize.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby ShadowSabre » August 13th, 2006, 5:18 pm

Blink wrote:
ShadowSabre wrote:Wait, who said sexual orientation is something that needs "fixed"?

I thought it was pretty evident that I was kidding. I guess I was wrong....

If I offended, I assure you it was not my intent and I do apologize.

-- Blink

It's OK. I was both in a very bad mood that day and had been reading an article about the cruel, probably illegal pseudo-Christian camps where teenagers are "cured" of their homosexuality through torture (with parental consent, of course.) Hence, I read it in a way I normally wouldn't. I apologise, as well; it's pretty obvious *now* that it was meant lightly.
ShadowSabre
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Blink » August 14th, 2006, 8:03 pm

ShadowSabre wrote:I apologise, as well; it's pretty obvious *now* that it was meant lightly.

I'll take a moment both to thank you and to hope that some of our resident flame-warriors can learn by example.

It's not just religious fanatics who try to "cure" sexual orientation. At the expense of your mood, I'll refer you to NARTH (National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality). Click here to see what these clowns have to say.

More accurate information can be found here. A passage on the change in perspective of sexual orientation as pathology is included below. Long quote warning.

Sexual Orientation: Science, Education and Policy (University of California, Davis) wrote:In 1973, the weight of empirical data, coupled by changing social norms and the development of a politically active gay community in the United States, led the Board of Directors of the American Psychiatric Association to remove homosexuality from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). Their decision was supported in 1974 by a vote of the membership.
Subsequently, a new diagnosis, ego-dystonic homosexuality, was created for the DSM's third edition in 1980. Ego dystonic homosexuality was indicated by: (1) a persistent lack of heterosexual arousal, which the patient experienced as interfering with initiation or maintenance of wanted heterosexual relationships, and (2) persistent distress from a sustained pattern of unwanted homosexual arousal.

The new diagnostic category, however, was criticized professionally on numerous grounds. It was viewed by many as a political compromise to appease those psychiatrists – mainly psychoanalysts – who still considered homosexuality a pathology. Others questioned the appropriateness of having a separate diagnosis that described the content of an individual's dysphoria. They argued that the psychological problems related to ego-dystonic homosexuality could be treated as well by other general diagnostic categories, and that the existence of the diagnosis perpetuated antigay stigma.

Moreover, widespread prejudice against homosexuality in the United States meant that "almost all people who are homosexual first go through a phase in which their homosexuality is ego dystonic," according to the American Psychiatric Association.

In 1986, the diagnosis was removed entirely from the DSM. The only vestige of ego dystonic homosexuality in the revised DSM-III occurred under Sexual Disorders Not Otherwise Specified, which included persistent and marked distress about one's sexual orientation (American Psychiatric Association, 1987; see Bayer, 1987, for an account of the events leading up to the 1973 and 1986 decisions).

This discussion ends with DSM-III-R. We are now using DSM-IV-TR and the references to homosexuality as a pathology are long, long gone. To sum up, anyone who's trying to "cure" homosexuality--or any other sexual identity, for that matter--isn't engaged in anything like professional practice. They are, in fact, depending on their credentialing, practicing unethically.

For anyone who's bothered to read this far, it should be pointed out that if NARTH's claims that sexual identity is malleable an subject to change via therapy, that, logically, those same therapeutic tools could be used to shape sexual identity in other directions. If, as a result of the material on this website, your sexual orientation changes from straight to bi or gay, please take the time to send a thank-you note to NARTH for all the research they've done that contributed to your success.

-- Blink
...and beat a bigot for Jesus.
Blink
Guru
Guru

Return to Idle Chatter