absinthe

For discussing Anything and Everything.

Moderator: EMG

absinthe

Postby craven » July 29th, 2006, 12:40 pm

First we should have a brief history of absinthe. Absinthe was once believed to stimulate creativity and hallucinations and has long been popular amongst artistic types. Some of the historical figures who regularly indulged in it were Verlaine, Van Gogh, and Baudelaire. Hemingway tended to let his characters regularly indulge in it as well

im not urging people to drink but as this is warpmymind this probable will and help you imagine your happy place.
craven

Re: absinthe

Postby willingsub » July 29th, 2006, 4:02 pm

craven wrote:First we should have a brief history of absinthe. Absinthe was once believed to stimulate creativity and hallucinations and has long been popular amongst artistic types. Some of the historical figures who regularly indulged in it were Verlaine, Van Gogh, and Baudelaire. Hemingway tended to let his characters regularly indulge in it as well

im not urging people to drink but as this is warpmymind this probable will and help you imagine your happy place.

Absinthe is actually legal where I live. Without wanting to take away the romaticism of the substance, I can say the effects are largly exagerated. Much of the documented effects are as much due to the high alcohol percentage, unstable personalities, and plain imagination and/or inherent creativity in the drinkers as to the 'active ingredient'. Absinthe was outlawed in many countries after a tragic murder/suicide case; a kind of incident not limited to drinkers of absinthe, sadly these kind of incidents are not all that incommon, nor is the presence of alcohol in these incidents. Absinthe can be seen more as a cultural phenomenon - it was the drink of choice in the circles of the artists you mention - than as a drug.

I have tried absinthe myself. While I think it does give a 'buzz' not present when I drink pastis (absinthe without thujone), nothing spectecular like hallucinations. Before you reach the levels of thujone needed to actually hallucinate, you'd already be passed out because of the alcohol.
willingsub
Regular
Regular

Return to Idle Chatter