Sports

For discussing Anything and Everything.

Moderator: EMG

Sports

Postby rugbyjockca » June 8th, 2005, 6:36 pm

Not that I post much or anything, but I figure "sports" can fall under Idle chatter. I'm one of those guys listening to the "jock" files, though I don't trance well. Instead of relying on hypnosis, I decided to just get out and start living the life I apparently wanted. Last fall I joined a newly-formed rugby team, and ever since I've been falling in love with "the game they play in Heaven". I'm still very much a newbie to the sport, so I have a lot to learn, but it's something I never get tired of reading/learning about.

So what about the rest of you? What sports do/did you play or watch?
rugbyjockca
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Linja » June 9th, 2005, 5:33 am

Hey, Rugbyjock.

Congratulations on your approach, instead of relying on hypnosis going out and making it your reality, I really admire that initiative. I personally think that Rugby is the best ball sport there is. It's the perfect mix of skill and roughness. This mix makes it one of the few ball sports I can tolerate watching. It's also good because it's a sport for all builds. It's not a freak sport, where being tall will give you a distinct advantage, as speed is just as important as strength, and height plays little to no part in the game. It's amazing to see how fast those guys can sprint, and then to see them dealing out and taking the heavy physical abuse that they do, it's certainly impressive.

Personally, I do Kickboxing twice a week, and take an avid interest in martial arts and other combat sports. I love watching fights, and do so myself whenever I can.

-Linja
Linja
Mentor
Mentor

Postby rugbyjockca » June 13th, 2005, 5:56 pm

I'm a complete rugby convert. I tell friends that it was really like a conversion experience, and while I'm kinda joking, I'm also not. When I'm on the pitch, I'm about as happy as I can get. The other great thing about rugby is the culture of comradeship, which I haven't really seen matched in other popular sports. Our coach threw a BBQ for our club on Saturday so we could watch the Canada vs. Wales test match, and even though we lost, I couldn't have had a better time. I play on a gay team, but we're a part of the city's larger union and the other teams we've played have been completely accepting and cool about it.

The other sport I like to watch is hockey, so I'm happy to hear that the lockout thing might be over soon. It killed me, trying to obey the jock files here and watch a lot of sports on TV without being able to follow the Bruins like I did the year before...

And for my fellow canucks, I also enjoy watching the CFL. I'm hoping for a good year for the Ti-Cats (I tend to cheer for the underdogs...)
rugbyjockca
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Idle Chatter