grok files

For discussing Anything and Everything.

Moderator: EMG

grok files

Postby loony28 » June 20th, 2005, 9:11 pm

:twisted: Ok on the yahoo group someone said that a friend of theirs made grok files (hope I spelled it right and it's the right thing). Anyway they said that after running a grok file that their friend sent, they had urinated right in the chair like what is supposed to happen with one of the files on here. I'm wondering if that person is on here and if their friend still makes those files. It would be a good addition to this site. :twisted:
loony28
Guru
Guru

Re: grok files

Postby sandy82 » June 22nd, 2005, 9:42 am

Loony, I know someone who has a number of Grock files. I don't know whether the guy on the Yahoo site has described how Grock files operate and what the features of the program are. For the sake of others who may read this post, a Grock file has the look and feel of a 1970s Dr. Who episode. There is a basic software package that includes:

1. Typing a series of messages in ASCII, which are then "attached" to Grock by using a filename that Grock software expects to see. These messages appear dead-center in the screen. The color, size, and letter font can be varied. The color of the background and of the boxes/lines (see below) can also be varied.

2. Setting a pattern which generally is a series of lines or rectangles that go toward the center of the screen like a repeating line/box tunnel. The width, number, and color of the lines/boxes can varied. The speed can also be varied.

3. There is a low-tech metronome ticking noise in the background. This can be run faster or slower. The volume and speed can be varied, and the overall effect is like listening to an old-fashioned wristwatch. Tick, tick, tick, tick.

Unless there is a new edition, Grock has some drawbacks. One of the most noticeable is that it cannot be combined with any other program. Also, it does not allow for pictures. A real limitation is that any adjustment after Grock has started running either freezes the screen or leaves a big mark on the screen. No adjustment of the volume, no switching to another window, no pause. Unless you change the written script, it starts and ends at the same place.

The plus for Grock is that you can type and edit your scripts yourself, in whatever word-processing program you choose...as long as the product is saved in ASCII and given the name that your version of the Grock program expects. The latter requirement means that if you want to change scripts, you must go into a program where file re-naming is possible, first change the name of "Currently used file" to "Formerly used file" and then change the name of "File I want to use" to "Currently used file."

Different formats can have different effects on people. Unless there is a new Grock format, with 21st-century bells and whistles, I doubt that it would have such profound effects on many users. But who can say?

I can ask my friend about uploading his version. The first thing he will check is whether the program is copyrighted. He will not upload copyrighted material to a group site. The risk is too great. It endangers the uploader, the downloaders, and the site itself.

In any event, I hope this description is helpful. A workable product with the feel of an old DOS-based program.

loony28 wrote::twisted: Ok on the yahoo group someone said that a friend of theirs made grok files (hope I spelled it right and it's the right thing). Anyway they said that after running a grok file that their friend sent, they had urinated right in the chair like what is supposed to happen with one of the files on here. I'm wondering if that person is on here and if their friend still makes those files. It would be a good addition to this site. :twisted:
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby loony28 » June 22nd, 2005, 9:50 am

:twisted: Thanks for the info sandy. I was wondering what a grok file was and you provided the answer. :twisted:
loony28
Guru
Guru

Re: grok files

Postby dharden » June 22nd, 2005, 12:02 pm

sandy82 wrote:Loony, I know someone who has a number of Grock files.

(snip)

I can ask my friend about uploading his version. The first thing he will check is whether the program is copyrighted. He will not upload copyrighted material to a group site. The risk is too great. It endangers the uploader, the downloaders, and the site itself.

I recall that post now that it's been mentioned. IIRC, "grok files" is what the person who made it wrote.

Knowing to look for Grock instead of grok let me search for "Grock program OR programme". I was able to find a page which has an FTP link that's still good, though I had to use Opera's option to disable automatic redirection before I could view it. The link is:

ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/win3/apps/hypnosis/grock.zip

There's a Windows help file in the zipfile, which has a section with the standard "you can redistribute this so long as it's complete and unmodified" conditions.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby loony28 » June 23rd, 2005, 9:05 pm

:twisted: Thanks for the link dharden. I'm going to try it within the next few days. Perhaps it will work better for me (no offense intended EMG). Perhaps make a Grok file, for those that are more text based, to make one more suggestible to EMG's voice so they trance better using EMG's files. :twisted:
loony28
Guru
Guru

Postby demigraff » June 25th, 2005, 6:36 pm

Wow, that seems to work really well for us.

I've tried editing the files a bit, but I'm mostly just experimenting to see what works.

I'd be interested to see some files other people have created for it.
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby demigraff » June 29th, 2005, 5:26 pm

A random curiosity... I have asperger's syndrome, which I have previously been told could make me hard to hypnotise. I've now showed this program to a few other friends. Myself, my gf and another friend with AS all went into a deep trance immediately, the first time we tried it.

I can remember reading the words, and seeing the flashing lines, but I can't remember what any of the words actually said until I go back and look at the text file.

Another pair of random friends thought it "looked cool". A big difference in degree of effect. Is there maybe a correlation that people with Asperger's Syndrom are more affected by this program? Or is it just a coincidence in my circle of friends?

...now experimenting, combining TrainSusceptible and TrigOrgasm into a grock file. I'm basing my work both on EMG's scripts, and the example file that came with the grock program. I don't have much experience, but I'm hoping this file will work for us.

demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby loony28 » June 29th, 2005, 8:05 pm

:twisted: Interesting demigraff. Could you tell me what settings you used? It is an interesting question that you raise. :twisted:
loony28
Guru
Guru

Postby demigraff » June 30th, 2005, 4:35 am

I read a document which said you should adjust the speed until you can read the words, then make it faster one click at a time until you just about can't keep up with them. For me, the speed settings are 2847/399, although I believe the actual speed that corresponds to depends on your computer.

I did find that using thicker lines seems to make it more effective for me. I have 18 lines, with the thickness set to 3. I've not touched the sound settings, as I don't know how to find a good value for them. Maybe I'll indulge in a little trial and error to see if I can find better values later.

The first file I've got finished to my satisfaction is a combination of TrainSusceptible and TrigOrgasm. Its probably nowhere near as good as a practised hypnotist could create, but it seems to be good enough for us.

[url=http://xxx.affordable-anime.co.uk/orgasm.txt]Orgasm grock file[/url]

Any suggestions on how I could go about improving this?
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby BobbyS » June 30th, 2005, 6:56 am

What do you do on Windows XP when it says
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Both Close and Ignore stop the app working.
BobbyS
Guru
Guru

Postby demigraff » June 30th, 2005, 8:25 am

OK... autoexec.nt is a configuration file needed to run some DOS apps or older win95 apps under windows NT or XP.

Open notepad, and copy these 5 lines exactly:
[code:1]@echo off
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\redir
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dosx
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3[/code:1]

Then save it as C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT

The program should now work perfectly
If you have an unusual soundcard, you might have to change the last line in order to get sound, but it will probably work just like that if your computer is less than 5 years old.
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby BobbyS » June 30th, 2005, 2:08 pm

Still no luck - I copied and pasted the exact script and saved it in the exact location but get the same message. :(
Thanks for the help though.
BobbyS
Guru
Guru

Postby davelowe1977 » June 30th, 2005, 2:14 pm

Make sure the file exists in the correct location with the correct extension. Notepad has an irritating habit of appending .txt on the end of the file so you finish up with autoexec.nt.txt and not autoexec.nt which is what you want.
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Postby demigraff » June 30th, 2005, 2:17 pm

I suspect that windows' "user friendly" nature is getting in the way again. My first guess is that the filename could have ended up as "autoexec.nt.txt"?
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby davelowe1977 » June 30th, 2005, 2:21 pm

Hey I just said that!
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Postby sandy82 » June 30th, 2005, 7:46 pm

loony28, I noticed some months ago that if grock.exe (or whatever the core program is called) is placed into a file, it cannot be moved from that file. Also, it is difficult to copy. I have handled that problem by placing grock.exe into a file (say, file A) devoted exclusively to grock.exe and perhaps containing a few of the auxiliary files. Then you can move file A, or you can make copies of file A (which automatically copies grock.exe). If you want, you can have as many of the .exe files as you have scripts.

I mentioned before that one of Grock's pluses is that you can write scripts in MS Word or WordPerfect...as long as you save the results as a .txt document. With these word-processing programs, you can copy sections extensively with no trouble, and you can search for particular portions of the script with the click of several keys. But there are drawbacks. :)

If you're like me, you wind up with scripts that are 200 pages long.

Also, I learned that the Search/Replace function can be very dangerous indeed. I thought I was changing "me" to "you". I was. I had sentences saying, "You look at your watch. You are running out of tiyou." For 200 pages.

I'm glad you found an up-to-date program. Dharden is a master detective.

demigraff, how lucky you are! I have looked at Grock off and on for over a year. It has no effect at all. I suppose one technique would be to make a script and then put it away for several months. As it stands, I know what's coming next; so there's no surprise, no anticipation. After I watch those steadily shrinking rectangles for while and listen to the metronomic clicks, I expect the Tardis to arrive at any moment.

Still, I think it's a very serviceable program. And it has the great benefit of not having too many bells and whistles which, as you know, can often give "user-friendly" Windows a case of dyspepsia.

It sounds as though you have had a better result with the program. Congratulations on that.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby BobbyS » July 1st, 2005, 8:01 am

It's worked, but.. now I get another bloody message saying;
System Error
The Win16 Subsystem was unable to enter protected mode, DOSX.EXE must be in your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH. Windows is now pissing you off.

Okay, maybe not that last sentence...
BobbyS
Guru
Guru

Postby loony28 » July 8th, 2005, 11:03 pm

:twisted: Has anybody created grok files that work well? Perhaps we could persuade EMG to post those files on the site. :twisted:
loony28
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » July 9th, 2005, 12:58 am

I'm generally in favor of anything Hypnosis related.

loony28 wrote::twisted: Has anybody created grok files that work well? Perhaps we could persuade EMG to post those files on the site. :twisted:
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby demigraff » July 9th, 2005, 8:03 am

loony28 wrote::twisted: Has anybody created grok files that work well? Perhaps we could persuade EMG to post those files on the site. :twisted:

I created onefile which seems to work well... based on EMG's TrainSusceptible and TrigOrgasm scripts, edited slightly to fit the grock format. I can try making some more, if anyone is interested, but I don't know how well my files will work for anyone else.

Did anyone try the one I posted?
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby sandy82 » July 9th, 2005, 9:34 am

loony28, I used to have a number of files that worked well...in the sense that they were compatible and functioned well with the Grock program. But I didn't find them effective. Part of the problem is like the author reading his own mystery novel: the plot is not going to surprise him.

I noticed several things you can do, which may be helpful. For instance, with a high Grock speed you can use the same phrase 20 times in a row, followed by one occurrence of a second phrase...which nearly duplicates the effect of a subliminal message. Also, Grock will center on the screen whatever you type with a uniform left margin. Thus, you can make a message shift sideways rapidly on the screen by adding/subtracting periods from one end of the message or the other as you type. Or by slightly varying the word order.

All in the interest of variety, visual surprise, and the verbal equivalent of the oral method of varying the spoken message slightly...so that it reinforces without sounding clearly repetitious.

Note to BobbyS: I think "System Error" is the name of Bill and Melissa's child...gets wide name recognition by frequent display on PCs. And as the world speeds up, the next generation of messages will say: "Error 404 (b)1a: the Windows Office Suite you bought last week for $400 is no longer compatible with your operating system." The expiration code will be hidden in the Help Files. :wink:

sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby loony28 » July 9th, 2005, 12:07 pm

demigraff wrote:I created onefile which seems to work well... based on EMG's TrainSusceptible and TrigOrgasm scripts, edited slightly to fit the grock format. I can try making some more, if anyone is interested, but I don't know how well my files will work for anyone else.

Did anyone try the one I posted?

:twisted: Where did you post it at? :twisted:
loony28
Guru
Guru

Postby demigraff » July 9th, 2005, 4:32 pm

loony28 wrote: :twisted: Where did you post it at? :twisted:

I posted a link earlier in this thread...

For anyone who missed it TrigOrgasm/Susceptible file. It seems to be kind of effective for me and my gf, not sure how well it will work for anyone else.
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Grock???

Postby gurlbidesign » July 31st, 2005, 8:56 pm

I got it to run, but even with the course and fine speed set to zero it was over in a blink of and eye and there was no way I could even catch a hint of any of the phrases....oh well
gurlbidesign
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Grock???

Postby demigraff » August 1st, 2005, 5:15 pm

gurlbidesign wrote:I got it to run, but even with the course and fine speed set to zero it was over in a blink of and eye and there was no way I could even catch a hint of any of the phrases....oh well

Try adjusting the speeds. Zero is actually the fastest possible speed (it would be nice if they mentioned this in a readme file... it took me a couple of attempts to figure it out myself), and it works by multiplying the two together (so if either is zero, it ignores the other one and runs as fast as possible). I find that on my computer (2.4GHz) it works well with course about 2500 and fine about 300, but your results may vary.
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Re: Grock???

Postby gurlbidesign » August 1st, 2005, 8:26 pm

demigraff wrote:
gurlbidesign wrote:I got it to run, but even with the course and fine speed set to zero it was over in a blink of and eye and there was no way I could even catch a hint of any of the phrases....oh well

Try adjusting the speeds. Zero is actually the fastest possible speed (it would be nice if they mentioned this in a readme file... it took me a couple of attempts to figure it out myself), and it works by multiplying the two together (so if either is zero, it ignores the other one and runs as fast as possible). I find that on my computer (2.4GHz) it works well with course about 2500 and fine about 300, but your results may vary.

Color me blond.....oh wait, I just did that this morning.
gurlbidesign
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Idle Chatter