Trivia

For discussing Anything and Everything.

Moderator: EMG

Trivia

Postby Lord_Mizaru » July 7th, 2005, 10:10 pm

I just realized this after watching Moonraker that it has something in common with Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Anybody else noticed this? I'm not talking plot or anything, but... how can I put this without giving too big a hint... there's a little tribute to Close Encounters hidden in Moonraker... a kind of Easter Egg. At least I'm assuming it was intentional... it's too blatent once you notice it not to be.
Lord_Mizaru
Mentor
Mentor

Serbo-Croat-Bosnian, Kossovar-Macedonian group grope

Postby sandy82 » August 13th, 2005, 6:35 pm

L_M, if you had included a vital piece of info, the "tribute" could have been found much sooner than now. :cry: It only appears in the theater-release version with the Serbo-Croatian subtitles. That line of cyrillic script almost blocks it out. About eight minutes into Moonraker, in the lower left-hand corner of the screen, a small affable-looking creature appears for only a few seconds, holding a tiny sign that says "ET phone home."

The tribute wasn't nearly as blatant as the subsequent mini-banner. "AT&T: Reach out and touch someone." Apparently the suggestion led to some screams and scuffles in theaters in Zagreb and Sarajevo.

Hey, L_M. You promised the winner season tickets to Roller Derby in Skokie and a personally guided tour of Leroy Brown's home on the southside. :wink: Instead, I would prefer the kitten sharp-shooter.

Lord_Mizaru wrote:I just realized this after watching Moonraker that it has something in common with Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Anybody else noticed this? I'm not talking plot or anything, but... how can I put this without giving too big a hint... there's a little tribute to Close Encounters hidden in Moonraker... a kind of Easter Egg. At least I'm assuming it was intentional... it's too blatent once you notice it not to be.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

TRIVIA: How many of the 13 colonies did Great Britain found?

Postby sandy82 » August 13th, 2005, 8:36 pm

After Lord_Mizaru's question about "tributes" in Moonraker, it's time for an easier question. :)

But not as easy as it may appear. :(

How many of the 13 original colonies did Great Britain found :?:
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Re: Serbo-Croat-Bosnian, Kossovar-Macedonian group grope

Postby Lord_Mizaru » August 15th, 2005, 11:20 am

sandy82 wrote:L_M, if you had included a vital piece of info, the "tribute" could have been found much sooner than now. :cry: It only appears in the theater-release version with the Serbo-Croatian subtitles. That line of cyrillic script almost blocks it out. About eight minutes into Moonraker, in the lower left-hand corner of the screen, a small affable-looking creature appears for only a few seconds, holding a tiny sign that says "ET phone home."

The tribute wasn't nearly as blatant as the subsequent mini-banner. "AT&T: Reach out and touch someone." Apparently the suggestion led to some screams and scuffles in theaters in Zagreb and Sarajevo.

Hey, L_M. You promised the winner season tickets to Roller Derby in Skokie and a personally guided tour of Leroy Brown's home on the southside. :wink: Instead, I would prefer the kitten sharp-shooter.

Lord_Mizaru wrote:I just realized this after watching Moonraker that it has something in common with Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Anybody else noticed this? I'm not talking plot or anything, but... how can I put this without giving too big a hint... there's a little tribute to Close Encounters hidden in Moonraker... a kind of Easter Egg. At least I'm assuming it was intentional... it's too blatent once you notice it not to be.

You're oh so wrong. It's ridiculously obscure but you weren't even on the right track. I said Close Encounters, not ET.... Since it's been over a month I may as well give the answer. When 007 is checking out the secret lab where they're producing the nerve gas, the code that gets typed into the keypad to unlock the door is the same little five notes that are used to talk to the aliens in Close Encounters. So there you have it folks. Go check it out for yourselves if you don't believe me :P
Lord_Mizaru
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Serbo-Croat-Bosnian, Kossovar-Macedonian group grope

Postby sandy82 » August 15th, 2005, 4:04 pm

Wrong? WRONG?? WROOOOOONG??? :D :D

LOL, of course it's wrong. It took a long time to dream up an answer with so many mistakes in it. Just for starters: CE3K was released in only four languages: English, French, Spanish, and Hindi. And Serbo-Croatian, even though it's virtually the same spoken language, requires two lines of subtitles--one in Latin letters for Roman Catholic Croatia and one in Cyrillic for Orthodox Serbia.

[They wanted ET to do a walk-on, but ET was busy playing Scarlett O'Hara at a dinner theater in Des Plaines. :P ]

Besides, CE3K was released in 1977. Only you old guys remember that..from taking your grandkids to see it. :roll:

Truthfully, in those days AT&T was the only phone company, with its various Bells and Western Electric, in the country. The "Reach Out" slogan came much later...when AT&T faced something it had never known: competition.

As long as we're revealing info, Great Britain founded only one of the 13 original colonies. The Kingdom of Great Britain was unknown until 1706-7, when the independent Scottish parliament was terminated and one parliament met at London with Scottish members added. Before that time, for over a century, there had been two kingdoms with one ruling family; and Scots in the New World were aliens in English colonies. In order to vote, they had to be naturalized as Englishmen.

The only one of the 13 colonies founded by Great Britain was Georgia.

Lord_Mizaru wrote:
sandy82 wrote:L_M, if you had included a vital piece of info, the "tribute" could have been found much sooner than now. :cry: It only appears in the theater-release version with the Serbo-Croatian subtitles. That line of cyrillic script almost blocks it out. About eight minutes into Moonraker, in the lower left-hand corner of the screen, a small affable-looking creature appears for only a few seconds, holding a tiny sign that says "ET phone home."

You're oh so wrong. It's ridiculously obscure but you weren't even on the right track. I said Close Encounters, not ET.... Since it's been over a month I may as well give the answer. When 007 is checking out the secret lab where they're producing the nerve gas, the code that gets typed into the keypad to unlock the door is the same little five notes that are used to talk to the aliens in Close Encounters. So there you have it folks. Go check it out for yourselves if you don't believe me :P
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Return to Idle Chatter