Goldwave

For discussing Anything and Everything.

Moderator: EMG

Goldwave

Postby morrcomm » August 2nd, 2005, 9:28 am

I'm guessing at least a few people here are familiar with using the Goldwave program, and I'm hoping they might have some advice on a sound issue.

I'm relatively new to using the program, but I've found I get good results if I just record the room tone for five or ten seconds before I start speaking, then paste that portion into the cilpboard and run the noise reduction feature based on it. That also seems to introduce a slight echo effect to the voice, however. It's the kind of thing that's not very noticeable at first, but once you realize it's there, its hard to ignore.

Has anyone else run across this, and figured out a good way to correct it?

Thanks in advance!
morrcomm
Regular
Regular

Postby davelowe1977 » August 2nd, 2005, 3:25 pm

I don't use Goldwave anymore so my comments are slightly non-specific. On Cooledit which I use, you can vary the depth of the noise reduction. When I have the problem you describe I back off until it disappears, and live with the remaining background noise.

The problem with the NR algorithms is that they take statisical snapshots of the background noise so they are optimised more for large samples of highly random sound. This is good for noises like tape hiss, or CPU fans, but hopeless for impulse noises like a door slamming, or you breathing. I know these things are mostly very obvious but... The best advice I can offer is to:

1. only record the sound you want to remove
2. only try to remove continuous noise
3. record a lot of noise for your sample
4. experiment with the level of NR
5. make a pop sheild for your mic (test it by recording the work 'piss' to check for popping p's and essssses)
6. practice breathing quietly and minimise the noise in the room
7. record the noise with the mic in exactly the same position as when you speak into it for the recording (very important)
8. try a static mic not headset - note don't put it directly on your desk, because you will get vibrations from your PC etc, put it on something soft

If you are still having problems, send me your noise and files and I'll have a go for you!
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Postby davelowe1977 » August 2nd, 2005, 3:32 pm

Almost forgot. When I used to work as a studio engineer - we had a technique of last resort - turd polishing! Its not a solution - more of a work-around. Try adding some slight reverb to the file after processing NR, it might well help to disguise the echo.
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Postby morrcomm » August 2nd, 2005, 7:11 pm

Thanks for the advice, dave -- and for the offer! Both are very much appreciated.

With the file I was talking about, I'd actually gone ahead and put in a true echo effect, and for the same reason you suggested! If the file was going to have one anyway, better that it be outright and intentional, I thought, rather than have the listener concentrating on whether that really is an echo or not instead of listening to the file and going out. I managed to play around with it some more then, until I'd smoothed the echo into something a little warmer and with less of a cold, metallic feel to it. It actually worked out well, and it fit the file, too. (I'd just rather not need to use the echo effect in every future file! :wink: )

I was surprised how little problem I actually had with noncontinuous noise. The birds ouside the closed window, the neighbors behind the wall, even the cars on street didn't really get captured too much. (Maybe there's something to be said for a crappy microphone!)

I'll definitely try out more of your advice when I start playing around with the next file. Goldwave is turning out to be a decent program for me, but it's not exactly user-friendly for someone coming to it with no real experience, like I am. I'm getting further by just playing around and experimenting than I am by reading the manual. You definitely gave me some good directions to move in, though.

Thanks again!
morrcomm
Regular
Regular

Return to Idle Chatter