Cigarettes and Coffee

For discussing Anything and Everything.

Moderator: EMG

Cigarettes and Coffee

Postby makidas » September 8th, 2005, 10:26 pm

This is just a spot to put your thoughts on cigarettes and coffee. It's just a random idea I got from Gaytto.

I like cigarettes with my coffee. I don't like coffee without my cigarettes. Smoking makes you look cool, plus it builds charachter. I should quit em both.... But then quitters never win now do they.
I may be wrong....

But what happens if I'm right?
makidas
Guru
Guru

Re: Cigarettes and Coffee

Postby GAYTTO » September 9th, 2005, 10:42 am

makidas wrote:
I like cigarettes with my coffee. I don't like coffee without my cigarettes. Smoking makes you look cool, plus it builds charachter. I should quit em both.... But then quitters never win now do they.

Same for me, as you already know. But I also like my cigarettes with some booze too (not at 5.30 a.m. I must admit) . I don't like my whisky without smoke.

I'm less sure when you say it builds character. Quitters have certainly a stronger character than the smokers. But for now I don't want to quit. I even didn't listen to the StopSmoking file.

When I'll do that, I'll quit smoke, coffee and booze at the same time. That's for sure.
Life is a game I'll win
GAYTTO
Regular
Regular

Re: Cigarettes and Coffee

Postby GAYTTO » September 10th, 2005, 4:23 am

makidas wrote:This is just a spot to put your thoughts on cigarettes and coffee. It's just a random idea I got from Gaytto.

Hi Makidas, at second thought, I wonder if there is not an ambush somewhere. I think I've read that you had a cancer some months ago and a heart attack. Am I right ? So is your post a kind of teasing, or did you really continue with coffee and cigarettes ? Sorry with this personal question.
Life is a game I'll win
GAYTTO
Regular
Regular

Postby BobbyS » September 10th, 2005, 10:28 am

Personally I can't stand the things - 'makes you looks cool and builds character' sound like the kind of things a 13 year old who wants to look hard says, but cool is a subjective word, I suppose.
I don't have a problem with people smoking them, just so long as they don't do it within the range of non-smokers - there's nothing worse for me than knowing that because that guy in front of me at the airport queue is smoking I'm risking contracting cancer and so forth.
Controversially I suppose this also means I support the UK ban on smoking in pubs - I know it's traditional but hey, not everyone likes the smell.

So let's take a quick look at the suck-o-meter;

Smoking

CONS
Lung cancer
Poor respiration as a result of,
Poor circulation
Battered alveoli
Possible blindness/damaged eyesight
Loss of hearing
Loss of smell
Mood changes
Panic attacks
Headaches
Increased risk of strokes leading to...
...paralysis and loss of speech
Nicotine hangovers
Damaged hair and possible hair loss
Bronchitis
Pneumonia
Emphysema
Coughs
Colds
Wheezing/short breath
Arterosclerosis
Gangrene
Weakened bones
Osteoperosis
Peripheral vascular disease
Gum disease
Tooth loss
Bad breath
Loss of taste
Plaque and gum disease
Sore throat
Lip cancer
Tongue cancer
Throat cancer
Larynx cancer
Oesophagus cancer
Slow healing
Premature aging/wrinkles
Cellulite from excess toxins in body
(did you read that last one ladies?)
Tobacco stains on fingers and teeth
Stomach ulcers
Stomach cancer
Kidney cancer
Pancreas cancer
Bladder cancer
Impotence
Damaged and reduced sperm
Testicular cancer
Cervix cancer
Miscarriages
Low-weight babies
and possibility of cot death

PROS
It makes you look cool
It strengthens your character
It inhibits your appetite so it helps if you're on a diet

All the cons were taken from this site;
[url]http://www.givingupsmoking.co.uk/why_give_up/inside_a_smoker/[/url]

The first two pros were taken from Makidas' post and you need only ask Kate Moss to verify the last one.

No offence was meant by this post to any smokers, but my point is this - if you can read this and still wish to smoke, that's fine, just be considerate of those around you who don't want the risk of these problems.
BobbyS
Guru
Guru

Postby makidas » September 10th, 2005, 1:52 pm

I had cancer when I was 16 and then a heart attack when I was 17 (I'm now 21), still smoke and drink coffee though, reckless? Definitely, but what can I say, I have an addictive personality, plus I really do love cigarettes and coffee (no booze for me). As far as the whole looks cool/builds charachter thing goes, I say it to be a smart ass. Obviously it doesn't build charachter and it only makes you look cool if you're in High School (jk). It was a joke, and a bad one, lol.
I may be wrong....

makidas
Guru
Guru

Postby makidas » September 10th, 2005, 1:57 pm

I should add that I thought this was a fun idea, I meant absolutely no disrespect. I got the idea from you (Gaytto), I just wanted to give credit where credit was due. My apologies for any misunderstanding.
I may be wrong....

makidas
Guru
Guru

Postby BobbyS » September 10th, 2005, 4:46 pm

Hey it's no biggie makidas. Like I say, I don't have a problem with smokers, it's your choice after all - it's only when they smoke near non-smokers I object.
BobbyS
Guru
Guru

Postby morrcomm » September 10th, 2005, 5:14 pm

BobbyS wrote:PROS
It makes you look cool
It strengthens your character
It inhibits your appetite so it helps if you're on a diet

And it gives you something to do with the hand that's not holding the coffee!
morrcomm
Regular
Regular

Postby sandy82 » September 10th, 2005, 5:51 pm

Bobby,

I hope you never find out how addictive nicotine can be!

I quit smoking several years ago, and I made the manufacturers of the Nicorette gum and patches rich.

It is interesting to note that the Nicorette gum and patches cost more than twice as much in the US as they do in the UK...and in most other places in Europe.

It makes little sense for cigarettes to be cheaper in many American states than the OTC items that help to kick the habit.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby BobbyS » September 10th, 2005, 6:10 pm

Oh I'm aware how addictive it can be once you get started - my karate instructor started chewing nicorette gum a year ago and my uncle started using a nicotine inhaler two years ago. Both are still using them.
And you're right it is crazy for cigarettes to cost less than the alternatives. I suppose if you're trying to wien yourself off nicotine though then you wouldn't try to use the gum/patches/inhaler as much as a cigarette, so that ought to balance out the cost.
Though I will concede to a lack of experience. :lol:
BobbyS
Guru
Guru

Postby sandy82 » September 10th, 2005, 7:11 pm

BobbyS wrote:Oh I'm aware how addictive it can be once you get started - my karate instructor started chewing nicorette gum a year ago and my uncle started using a nicotine inhaler two years ago. Both are still using them.
And you're right it is crazy for cigarettes to cost less than the alternatives. I suppose if you're trying to wien yourself off nicotine though then you wouldn't try to use the gum/patches/inhaler as much as a cigarette, so that ought to balance out the cost.
Though I will concede to a lack of experience. :lol:

FWIW, let me share some (painful) experience. It may be helpful to your karate instructor and to your uncle.

As I understand it, the impact of nicotine addiction to cigarettes affects a person in two ways. First, obviously, is the amount of nicotine taken in. Second, there is the pattern of the consumption. A cigarette gives a high, quick reaction to nicotine, followed by a valley. Think of it as being rather like sine waves. Your body becomes addicted not only to the nicotine, but to the pattern of delivery.

For both reasons, the starting point is the gum. It has peaks and valleys, depending on how fast one chews it. But the user controls that, and peaks and valleys from the gum to be less high and low. Consequently, the user gets accustomed to peaks that are less high, and his body does not expect periodic "jolts" of nicotine.

After some time (take as long as one wants...but not two years :wink: ), switch over to the patches, which give a constant flow of nicotine that imperceptibly declines through the day as the patch is used up. Gradually, the body gets used to having the nicotine, but with no peaks. And then you gradually lessen the strength of the patches.

The boxes of patches say to use 21 mg, then 14 mg, then 7 mg. The box also claims that you shouldn't cut the patches. If you compare the cost and the strength, it makes very good sense to cut the patches...and save a lot of money. Also, I didn't stop at 7 mg. I was a chicken. I used 3 milligrams for a while, and then I stopped. Then I used very bitter chewing gum until I broke the chewing habit.

You see the progression, I'm sure. For me, the gum alone never worked. And the inhaler....that gives too much of a dose too quickly. It's too much like a cigarette.

All, for what it's worth.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby GAYTTO » September 11th, 2005, 4:14 am

BobbyS wrote:

So let's take a quick look at the suck-o-meter;

Smoking

CONS
Lung cancer
Poor respiration as a result of,
Poor circulation
Battered alveoli
Possible blindness/damaged eyesight
Loss of hearing
Loss of smell
Mood changes
Panic attacks
Headaches
Increased risk of strokes leading to...
...paralysis and loss of speech
Nicotine hangovers
Damaged hair and possible hair loss
Bronchitis
Pneumonia
Emphysema
Coughs
Colds
Wheezing/short breath
Arterosclerosis
Gangrene
Weakened bones
Osteoperosis
Peripheral vascular disease
Gum disease
Tooth loss
Bad breath
Loss of taste
Plaque and gum disease
Sore throat
Lip cancer
Tongue cancer
Throat cancer
Larynx cancer
Oesophagus cancer
Slow healing
Premature aging/wrinkles
Cellulite from excess toxins in body
(did you read that last one ladies?)
Tobacco stains on fingers and teeth
Stomach ulcers
Stomach cancer
Kidney cancer
Pancreas cancer
Bladder cancer
Impotence
Damaged and reduced sperm
Testicular cancer
Cervix cancer
Miscarriages
Low-weight babies
and possibility of cot death

Tough choice. I think my favorite one is "Damaged hair and possible hair loss". I could spare some foam to shave my head and buy more cigarettes.
Life is a game I'll win
GAYTTO
Regular
Regular

Return to Idle Chatter