Sleeping on your back

For discussions relating to Diapers, Incontinence, Adult Babies, etc.

Moderator: EMG

Sleeping on your back

Postby grimdl » May 9th, 2010, 5:18 pm

Hi All
Ive been trying to learn to sleep on my back as I get less leaks that way. I enjoy being wet but am fed up with complete bed changes all the time as my diapers leak if I sleeep on my side.
Any hints?
Grim : )
grimdl

Postby HypnotizeMike » May 9th, 2010, 9:13 pm

I almost always sleep on my back. I used to sleep on my stomach, but changed when I got braces as an adult. I felt like I was sleeping on my teeth when sleeping on my stomach. It took a few weeks to get used to the change, but that was years ago.

What seems to be your problem with sleeping on your back? Have you tried to adjust the number or softness of your pillows?
HypnotizeMike
Regular
Regular

Re: Sleeping on your back

Postby sarnoga » May 9th, 2010, 10:05 pm

grimdl wrote:Hi All
Ive been trying to learn to sleep on my back as I get less leaks that way. I enjoy being wet but am fed up with complete bed changes all the time as my diapers leak if I sleeep on my side.
Any hints?
Grim : )

This is a rather long post. Those not in need of tips to keep your bed dry may want to skip it.

Tips to Keep Your Bed Dry

Start by getting a very good disposable. Abena X Plus or Dry 24/7. Use the largest size you can comfortably wear. The larger the size the greater the overall capacity. The larger size may not fit as snugly around the legs or at the waist but we will deal with that later. What we are going for is max capacity.

A very good and very economical way of increasing the capacity of disposable diapers is to put a disposable baby diaper on the inside. Huggies Overnites size 6 are very good for this purpose. Using scissors, trim off the sides, the fasteners, and the elastic around the leg gathers. Then cut slits in the backing so the urine can flow through into the main diaper. You will find that they use a better polymer in baby diapers and for their size they can hold more urine than adult diapers. This will greatly increase the absorbant capacity of your disposable diapers. You might want to use a small piece of tape to hold them toward the front of your diaper where you will need it most if you are a guy. If you are a girl you may want to position it more toward the middle or back if you are going to be sleeping on your back.

If you still need additional capacity then take an Abri Wings in the same size as the main diaper and prepare it like you did the baby diaper and put that inside also so that the baby diaper is between the two diapers and the baby diaper and the Abri Wing have numerous slits in the backing so the overflow from both of them can still go into the outside diaper. All this is just so that you can get enough capacity to get you through the night. This however will not solve your leak problem. What this does is insure that all you are dealing with is a leak problem and not also trying to deal with insufficient retention capacity. I would suggest experimenting to get the right amount of absorbant capacity. You may find that the one diaper alone is enough. I would start by using the good quality diaper with the Huggies Overnite and the AbriWing. If that has enough capacity you can leave out the AbriWing and see if you still have enough, etc.

Once you have the capacity you need you will still have some small leaks. This is not because the diaper cannot hold enough but rather because it cannot absorb it fast enough to prevent it coming out the opening in the sides, legs or waist.

Next you put a cloth diaper on over the disposable. You do not need much cloth, all you need is just enough to catch the leaks. Then you put a pair of plastic pants over that to prevent the dampness of the cloth diaper from soaking into the sheets and bedding.

Problem solved.

Diaper yourself in this manner and you will rarely, if ever, wake up in a wet or even a damp bed.

There is a place called Adult Cloth Diaper that sells a pull up cloth diaper that is just perfect for this purpose. It has a soaker on the inside that is only attached at the ends so it washes and drys easily. It is a pull on and no need to mess with pins. You just pull it on over your disposables and pull on a pair of plastic pants over that. Remember when ordering to get a size large enough to fit over all your diapers. Unless you are buying them for a child or teenager that will probably mean getting either the X large or the XX large. They are very good quality flannel and will last quite awhile as well. They also wash and dry very easily.

You could of course accomplish the same thing with a pin on cloth diaper but its so much easier to use the pull on diaper and it works just as well.

Simply putting a pair of plastic pants over your disposables will not help. You need an absorbant layer between your diaposables and the plastic pants or what leaks out of the disposables will also leak out of the openings in the plastic pants.

You can of course abandon your disposables completely and just go with cloth diapers and plastic pants. Of course if you were only a light wetter you probably wouldn't have had this problem to start with. And if you are a heavy wetter it can take quite a bit of cloth to absorb enough urine to get you through the whole night. If you do choose that route though it is better to use multiple thinner cloth diapers than one very thick one. The reason is that the very thick diapers are difficult to wash and dry.

The other reason to use the cloth pull on over the disposables is that some people just like the feel of the disposables. They like the way the disposables swell up when they are full of urine. Also there is less laundry if most of the urine is soaked up in a disposable and thrown away.

Finally, some people find they need to poop first thing in the morning and it can be quite inconvienient to have to try to quickly get out of your pinned on cloth diapers and make it to the toilet in time to take a dump. You could poop in your cloth diapers but that makes one hell of a mess and it is very difficult to clean up and wash cloth diapers with a pound or two of poop in them. If you wear disposables with just the cloth pull up and plastic pants over them most of the poop will stay in the disposable and the clean up is much easier.

There is also one other alternative that may be good for you depending on how badly you leak at night. There are places that sell absorbant bed pads in fairly large sizes.

These are quilted absorbant washable bed pads with a water proof backing. Don't waste your time on the disposable ones on the market, they are pretty much worthless. The good ones are washable and reusable. These pads do not have enough capacity for most bedwetters to use them in place of diapers but they do have enough capacity to catch leaks and prevent soaking the whole bed. It is easier to wash one of these pads than all the bedding.

The problem with them is that if you thrash around in your sleep you may find that they have all bunched up and are not doing you much good. The other problem is that sometimes if you roll over and leave a wet spot on the pad it can sometimes result in a wet or damp blanket.

I hope that helps. It is ok being a bedwetter so long as you are able to diaper yourself in a way that leaves you with a dry bed. Waking up in a soaked bed even a few times a week can be very frustrating. Especially if you don't know how to stop it.

Regards,

Sarnoga
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Return to Diapers and Incontinence