question about the enviromental ethics of this fetish

For discussions relating to Diapers, Incontinence, Adult Babies, etc.

Moderator: EMG

question about the enviromental ethics of this fetish

Postby iamli3 » January 6th, 2010, 11:47 pm

i had been thinking , about this fetish and thought that i was mildly against it cause it wasent really considerate about the effect it would have on the enviroment and that its just more garbage to throw away

but then i thought about it from all its other aspects
cause if ppl are getting rid of their bodaly waists with the use of diapers , then they arent getting rid of it through the use of the alternative , a toilet , which takes power to operate and waists a lot of water , and then they would need more power still to send that water throgh the water treatment process , not to mention that all the waist that would be filterd out wont ge dumped into the largly already dead ocean

but on the other hand where to the diapers come from? a factory , which also needs power (weather its more than what is needed to treat water idk) and polutes on its own just like any of man's inventions
and our way of getting power is definatly still not enviromentaly freindly
(yes there are solar and wind powers , but i dont see them replacing all the nuceular power plants and dams there are)

so i was wondering what you ppl might think/know since this is your thing , is this fetish more enviromentaly responcable than the alternative in getting rid of human waist?.........
iamli3
Mentor
Mentor

Postby sheetsoaker » January 7th, 2010, 1:02 am

Wearing diapers is definitely more burdensome on the environment than using the toilet. The natural resources that go into making a disposable diaper, or into making and cleaning a cloth diaper, are substantially more than a toilet flush. People who mess diapers end up needing to flush the toilet anyway.

Remember that there are lots of things people do for pleasure that put burdens on the environment, like traveling (by air or by car) and eating beef. The environment matters, but it's also important to have some fun in your life. If you constantly worry about the environmental impact of your activities, you will make yourself crazy.

Most diaper fetishists only wear diapers occasionally. I don't think there's any reason to feel guilty about this. The burden on the environment isn't that great. Wearing diapers 24/7 does put a substantial burden on the environment. If you're going to do this, it's worth thinking about whether the pleasure it's going to give you is worth the environmental cost.
sheetsoaker

Postby ABoy » January 7th, 2010, 6:26 am

Using Cloth diapers reduces the energy consumption to some degree and the waste going into landfills to a much larger degree. Using cloth 24/7 would ultimately create much less waste then using disposables 24/7.
ABoy
Regular
Regular

Postby Gee2 » January 7th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Dont believe everything you read, the % of disposable diapers in land fills can't be compared to the percentage of anything else that is thrown away that should have been recycled. In other words landfills have 1 billion % more beer/soda cans then diapers.

diapers would barely get any mention if you were to itemize in order what we throw the most away.

Also throwing away a disposable diaper full of poop is wrong everyone knows that you flush any waste down the toilet before you dispose of it.

cloth diapers although you think is better for the environment causes you to do at least twice as much laundry as you normally would. running the wash equals wasting water, running the wash equals gray water in the sewer, running the drier equals huge amounts of electricity. hanging adult diapers on a clothes line outside for your neighbors to see is not wise.

In any case unless your 24/7 365 i dont think your diaper use as a fetish is going to cause the earth to crumble anytime soon.

In any case I often wonder why people take a stand on one issue while having no regards for another the lesson we must learn is to decrease your foot print in every aspect of your life.
Gee2

Postby sheetsoaker » January 7th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Cloth vs. disposable is a tricky question. In some places, cloth diapers might be better for the environment. If you live in a place where fresh water is in short supply, disposables are actually a better environmental choice.

My feeling is that if you're only wearing diapers occasionally, you should wear what you enjoy. If you're going to be 24/7, you have to wear disposables at least part of the time. Effective cloth diapers are way to thick to wear discreetly to work or school.
sheetsoaker

Postby soundexcess » January 10th, 2010, 12:46 am

i know for privacy sake it is not great if you have some one come to pick them up but there are disposable and cloth diaper recyclers you drop off used disposables and cloth diapers, the disposable will sanitized shredded and sorted to make various [paper products. The cloth diapers are washed and sanitized and if not fit for instructional they are reused as camera cloths etc, including most likely the micro fiber cloth you use to clean your electronics, and if worst comes to worst they are shredded and re manned into other products, like pillow stuffing.
soundexcess
Mentor
Mentor

Postby sark » January 10th, 2010, 11:11 am

I'm sorry, but if you have an 'issue' with this fetish and the environmental impact then you need to take a *serious* look at "breeders", e.g. the Kate + Jon + too many, or that single woman with mental issues who has 14 kids (8 from 1 invitro), and the rest of the population on this planet. The way the western world has become, namely so geared towards disposability and convenience over the last 3 decades, this is the problem. The number of people into ab/dl paraphilias pales into insignificance versus this.
sark

who cares?

Postby phins » January 13th, 2010, 1:38 am

Why aren't you so worried about the environmental impact of jewelry? All those precious metals and stones have to be mined and people don't need jewelry. Why aren't you wringing your hands about cellphones? what about the environmental impact of all those batteries? We could go back to landlines you know. What about all the dangerous chemicals used in making carpet? Should we go back to dirt floors? You're wasting your time with this. Better to worry about shaping good environmental policy so that we dispose of society's waste in a responsible way that keeps the Earth pristine. And look at it this way: Diapers worn by those who don't medically need them expands a part of the economy and creates jobs in the diaper biz.
phins

Postby soundexcess » January 14th, 2010, 12:23 am

:with stupid:, but we do need to push are governments to handle waste properly, almost all e-products are full recyclable including the lion batteries, I harp on lions cause they are the easiest to recycle.
soundexcess
Mentor
Mentor

Postby babyjoe40 » January 14th, 2010, 11:45 am

I have to disagree with sheetsoaker. I wear cloth diapers 24/7 and have for almost seven years and they don't have to be obvious. When I wear double diapers during the day, I wear overalls and my wife even says she has a hard time telling if I'm diapered. Also, Ilive outside of town and dry my diapers outside all summer long. I also have a wooden clothes drying rack I use in the winter.
babyjoe40

Postby sarnoga » January 16th, 2010, 9:55 am

Gee2 wrote:

Dont believe everything you read, the % of disposable diapers in land fills can't be compared to the percentage of anything else that is thrown away that should have been recycled. In other words landfills have 1 billion % more beer/soda cans then diapers.

diapers would barely get any mention if you were to itemize in order what we throw the most away.

I have to agree with Gee2 and some of the other posters. In comparison to many other things disposable diapers are only an insignificant percentage of the total. Just look at the amount of junk mail and advertising fliers that the US Post Office delivers each day. Some of it is just dropped off in bulk at the post office with instructions to deliver one set of trash to each postal customer. Think of it. Not everyone wears diapers but everyone gets junk mail.

Sure, some of it must generate some sales or those responsible wouldn't be paying money to produce and distribute it. The post office delivers it because that is the class of mail that makes them a profit. And most people that receive it just toss it in the trash after the inconvenience of sifting through it to make sure it isn't concealing any of their real mail.

I am not suggesting that everyone should take a 'who cares' attitude towards trash going to landfills, and if someone wants to effect a change they need to start somewhere. However if someone wants to start down that road and bring about a change in how solid waste is produced and handled, if they are going to single out one item over others they should start with something farther up the list, and with less utility, than disposable diapers.

They might as well also start with something that could be changed very easily if this bureaucratic mess we call a government had the will to do so.

Bulk mail fits that slot very nicely.

If congress had the will to do so, it could easily order the post office to cease accepting and delivering that class of mail. Or in the alternative to charge an amount of money to do so that would also reflect the true tax and environmental cost of producing, delivering and disposing of the countless tons of such mail that goes through their system.

Why the american public puts up with that type of behavior by the government and post office is beyond me. What the post office charges to deliver that class of mail is so low that it continues to proliferate. Yet it generates a profit at the post office because it is cheap and easy for them to handle. But there are many hidden costs that the public has to bear, such as the cost both in dollars and to the environment of producing and disposing of all that junk. The retailers and beggars profit from its delivery. The post office profits from its delivery. But neither of them have to pay for the cost of disposal or deal with the environmental cost of either its production or disposal.

In short the american public is subsidizing advertising by some of the largest and richest retailers in the country as well as others who just want to sell them things or talk them out of their money in one way or another. I am not saying people or businesses should not be allowed to advertise. But why should the cost of that advertisement be picked up by the public. The cost should be paid by those who directly benefit. The cost should be paid entirely by those who choose to produce such junk and set in motion its delivery to the public.

The problem could be fixed quite easily. You don't have to outlaw the practice. You don't even have to pass a tax bill. Just increase the postal rates for that class of mail to the point that it either goes away, or the extra dollars generated by its continued delivery would be sufficient when transfered to the general fund to pay for the disposal of that huge amount of waste as well as take care of the environmental impact of its production.

If that results in less revenue for the post office and puts them in a deficit situation then at least it can be handled directly instead of allowing them to engage in a practice that brings them profits at the expense of every tax payer and postal customer. In short deceitfully passing their deficit along to others in hidden costs and taxes and allowing beggars and big retailers to do the same with the cost of their advertisement. In fact the subsidy to the post office and advertisers is given to them at the expense of every person who lives in this country or on this planet.

Yeah, I guess that probably qualifys as a rant. (shrug)

Signed,

(Tired of having his mailbox stuffed with trash) Sarnoga
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

thanks for the input

Postby Duckypin » January 16th, 2010, 10:40 am

Sarnoga,
Thanks for the insight. I was thinking of all the christmas trees lining the streets for pick up. The loss of the trees, the cost to the environment of shipping and picking up again. This is not to say that I am against Christmas trees but once we begin seeing things only through the lens of why we should not do something we become the grinch!
Duckypin
Mentor
Mentor

and another thing

Postby Duckypin » January 16th, 2010, 2:17 pm

another thought is that there is enough guilt, shame and reasons to deny this desire without adding another.
Duckypin
Mentor
Mentor

Postby krisndiapers » January 17th, 2010, 3:27 am

human waste contain enzymes and acids that naturally break down diapers and other garbage into methane, witch is what landfill places burn for electricity. I am a nerd, I know. :D
krisndiapers
Regular
Regular

thanks for the input

Postby Duckypin » January 17th, 2010, 6:18 am

thanks, I did not know this :D
Duckypin
Mentor
Mentor

Postby krisndiapers » January 17th, 2010, 6:49 am

actually to corect and specify garbage itself breaks down into methane, but human waste helps the breakdown process.
krisndiapers
Regular
Regular

Postby LilJennie » January 18th, 2010, 10:05 pm

I am in diapers 24/7, although I use them only for wetting. Most of the time I use cloth diapers, even to wear to work, and I only use disposables if I'm going on a trip where I'll be away from home for the whole day or multiple days, but that doesn't happen often.

Cloth diapers may actually use less water than using the toilet, especially if you wash them in a HE clothes washer, but possibly even if you use a standard washer. After all, you flush after every time you use the toilet, but you wash several diapers in one load.

And for those concerned about wearing cloth diapers to work ... it depends on where you work and what kind of clothes you wear. I wear rather loose-fitting black jeans, and so far I have had nobody notice my diapers that I know of. Women may have an easier time of it than men, because diapers are much more difficult to notice if you wear a long dress or skirt than if you wear pants. Sure, if you wear skin-tight leggings, miniskirts, or something like that, you're not going to be able to wear any kind of diapers without it being obvious, but there aren't many jobs that require you to wear clothes like that. And even so ... if people notice, you can always tell them that you're incontinent (if you're not, but you're listening to files to become incontinent, it will soon become true anyway), it's a medical issue, and it's none of their business.
LilJennie
Regular
Regular

Postby iamli3 » January 19th, 2010, 11:31 pm

i seem to be getting a lot of good posts on this topic for like the past week its been up
so does everything else on this site seem to be so dead when it comes to comunication?

to clarify to what some ppl were saying im not loseing sleep over weather this is eviromentaly friendly and yes i am well aware of and agree that everything else we do on a regulare basis is much bigger than this , like what sogna or w/e his name is said about actual paper still being biliverd to everybody's houses on a regulare basis mostly containing information they dont even care about that they just end up emediatly discaurding , but 1 that is irelavent to the question of this topic and 2 flushing toilets is someyhing we do on a regulare basis , and (correct me if im wrong , im comming up with this compleatly off the top of my head , again why im asking the ppl here that might know for sure exactly) if all the americas would just flush every other time instead of after every 4 ounce piss they take it would save over 9000! gallons of water and w/e else...............
iamli3
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Diapers and Incontinence