Time Out

This is an area for the discussion of Philosophy, Religion & Politics. WARNING! Debates may become heated, Personal attacks or religious recruiting are not permitted.

Moderator: EMG

Time Out

Postby Tangy » September 19th, 2012, 10:58 am

is masturbation a Sin?
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :idea: :arrow:
Last edited by Tangy on March 16th, 2013, 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tangy
Guru
Guru

Postby outkast1728 » September 19th, 2012, 11:04 am

No its not, because if it were there wouldnt be any men in heaven, at all, ever....
outkast1728
Guru
Guru

Postby LittleBen » September 19th, 2012, 7:13 pm

I don't believe it is a Sin if you are not lusting while doing it. The Bible does not mention it specifically as a Sin, but like anything out there, it can be over done. Just my two cents.
LittleBen
Regular
Regular

Postby WME3 » September 28th, 2012, 11:30 am

Sure its ok to do!
As long as you realize you're killing a couple million possible YOUS every time you get off.
Its genocide, but hey, its your sperm. Do what you want with them.
WME3
Regular
Regular

Postby Tangy » September 28th, 2012, 11:50 am

WME3 wrote:Sure its ok to do!
As long as you realize you're killing a couple million possible YOUS every time you get off.
Its genocide, but hey, its your sperm. Do what you want with them.

((Thank YOU)) i am listing to the no masturbation FILE TODAY.

You are the only one person who told me the truth about this Activity. :o i will no longer kill myself. /masturbate :o i feel ashamed now i will be apologize to myself for killing my seeds./me.
Tangy
Guru
Guru

Postby 24AR34 » September 28th, 2012, 1:44 pm

if you REALLY read the bible closely, the sin of onan wasn't masturbation, but onan spilling his sperm on the ground out of refusal to obey god's command to impregnate his sister. What is commonly manipulated into an anti-masturbation sentiment is actually a fucked up pro-incest passage.

38:2 And Judah saw there a daughter of a certain Canaanite, whose name was Shuah; and he took her, and went in unto her.

38:3 And she conceived, and bare a son; and he called his name Er.

38:4 And she conceived again, and bare a son; and she called his name Onan.

38:5 And she yet again conceived, and bare a son; and called his name Shelah: and he was at Chezib, when she bare him.

38:6 And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, whose name was Tamar.

38:7 And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD slew him.

38:8 And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.

38:9 And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.

38:10 And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.
24AR34
Regular
Regular

Postby Kharon » September 28th, 2012, 6:10 pm

No. However you appear to have made up your mind already, but consider this:

Sperm that fail to fertilize an egg, for any reason, die whether you masturbate or not. Therefore if "killing a potential you" or "killing potential offspring" is a sin, then it is a sin to have sex any less often than approximately every 11 weeks, whether you are married or not. As a result, a God judging people for allowing sperm to die without attempting to fertilize an egg would need to prosecute every male who ever lived. Abstinence would be as foul of a sin as masturbation, and the only holy or righteous act would be to make love at least once every 11 weeks.

A god who only punishes a specific subset of these men, those who release their seed through masturbation, is imposing an arbitrary restriction on his own rule of what a murder is, and is being unnecessarily cruel. Such a god would, by this act, not be a "good" god, as he punishes men simply for performing a satisfying act because it has the same result as taking no action -- killing sperm.

Therefore, we can conclude that regardless of what religion may say or claim, either it is not a sin to kill sperm, or we will all be punished for sperm which have died without attempting to fertilize an egg, and also that any god who would punish a man for this is not good.

With that in mind, you can choose to stop masturbating for any reason you want, but I believe that "it's a sin", like most religious rationales, is a cop-out for rationally thinking and making your own decision. Make your own decision about whether you think you want to give up masturbation instead of relying on scriptures or religious opinions to make the decision for you.[/list]
Kharon
Regular
Regular

Postby WME3 » September 29th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Oh yeah! I totally agree with that fact that your sperm is eventually going to pass away weather you do with them or not.
I also realize that your choice is your own, and that no matter what you do, it comes down to how you want to handle it. Otherwise you are no more in control of yourself than someone else is. If you are a guy, you have masturbated before at least once in your life, or you never experienced puberty. Plus you obviously don't have the sperms you carried back when you were a teenager! Hell even females flush out eggs every month when they can't find a seed to take.

That being said, chronic masturbation should be discouraged. Your general healthiness will take a blow from the fapping, not to mention a lack of desire for anything past climax.

You don't have to give up masturbation! Heck, that's as irresponsible as fapping every day. As the saying goes though; "Everything in moderation."

Instead, choose carefully how you want to go about handling this. While masturbation is natural, its also a natural shortcut. The urges are only your body's way of telling you that you want to go and create a sex life with another! By choosing to not cut corners on that fact, you will instinctively start bettering yourself to make you more appealing to another lover. You will even go out of your way to find one so that not only you feel good, they feel good!

Why waste that opportunity to shoot it up, when you can do it with another?
WME3
Regular
Regular

What IS sin?

Postby Plaat » September 29th, 2012, 8:58 pm

The sin as refers to Monotheistic religion has been covered, but sin is also used as a stand in term for an immoral act. Barring morality as an absolute, which is modernistic a ridiculous notion, we are left wondering how to judge what is moral. Here, the Golden rule, or as Kant called "The Categorical Imperative" which states a moral act is something you would do provided you would be ok with everyone else doing it. This is good for stopping double standards from forming but brings the problem that people have a different opinion of whats ok.
To be objective one must find something to measure which isn't up for debate. Human harm and well being is a good yard stick, We should hope life is better than nonlife and pleasure better than suffering. One you can expand beyond humans but leads to the case; Is this action going to cause harm? And can the harm be undone, or be balanced by well being? If the answer is yes to the first it would be immoral, exceptions and cases can be made if yes to the second question.
So; Does masturbation (alone, safely, with your stuff) cause harm to living conscious beings, no Does it cause pleasure? Yes.
Plaat
Mentor
Mentor

Re: What IS sin?

Postby WME3 » September 29th, 2012, 9:11 pm

Plaat wrote:The sin as refers to Monotheistic religion has been covered, but sin is also used as a stand in term for an immoral act. Barring morality as an absolute, which is modernistic a ridiculous notion, we are left wondering how to judge what is moral.

Yes, barring morals would be ridiculous, if it weren't for the fact that morals are opinions, and the very reason we have debates.

Then again, thats a whole other debate.
WME3
Regular
Regular

Postby KIY » September 29th, 2012, 11:55 pm

Masturbation is fine in the right context. Masturbating in private is okay. Masturbating while standing naked in front of a bunch of kindergarteners playing in a schoolyard, not okay. Most of the scale lies in between those two.

Or something like that. I'm really short on sleep.
KIY
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 24AR34 » September 30th, 2012, 10:16 am

Interesting. I recieved the following message in response to my comment posted above.

"this is the wrong board to be posting that shit"

First of all, this board is Philosophy, Religion and Politics. So it IS the right board.

I sincerely apologize for answering somebodys question, using proper research to back up my claims.
24AR34
Regular
Regular

Postby KIY » October 1st, 2012, 1:37 am

Unless the message was from a moderator, it is probably safe to ignore it. It sounds like just another manifestation of the flaming phenomenon arising from the Internet.
KIY
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Tangy » October 1st, 2012, 10:47 am

KIY wrote:Unless the message was from a moderator, it is probably safe to ignore it. It sounds like just another manifestation of the flaming phenomenon arising from the Internet.

I thank you for all your comments it will give me something to analyzed and make a decision still not enough Data to make full decision yet. :?: :idea: :arrow: :!:
Tangy
Guru
Guru

Postby WME3 » October 2nd, 2012, 8:43 pm

"Everything in Moderation".
WME3
Regular
Regular

Postby KIY » October 2nd, 2012, 9:31 pm

Including moderation.

Off topic, but Everything In Moderation was what the original hedonists believed in. Back in the days of ancient Rome. They also did not believe in an afterlife. Thus their goal was to enjoy life as much as possible for AS LONG as possible.

We now return you to something resembling the original topic.
KIY
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ZoeHelena » December 7th, 2012, 7:50 pm

By invoking the concept of sin, you invoke the question of belief systems.
What is your spiritual belief system?

If your answer is "none, my mind is my temple" then, congratulations, you get to define your own concepts re: "spiritually beneficial/deleterious activities".

If your answer was "catholic", then bad news: masturbation is self-abuse, and a sin. Go to confession, and take your hail marys like a... however you gender identify.

If you're going down the bhuddist/gnostic route then it wouldn't be a sin per se, but rather a waste of vital energies, and therefore a spiritually deleterious course of action.

Even from a materialist point of view it could be averred that excess masturbation is a waste of energy and therefore a materially disadvantageous activity; though if done when there is a necessity for tension release it could be the dominant strategy.

TL;DR:

Sin is a sectarian and therefore subjective concept, please rephrase the question.

:P
ZoeHelena

Is there such a thing as a SIN?

Postby kinkybc » January 22nd, 2013, 5:05 pm

Things can be not so great, or horrible, but a Sin? are we all Christian here? I don't believe in sin or karma either, just two ways to socially engineer the population, to keep power structures standing.
kinkybc
Regular
Regular

Return to Philosophy, Religion & Politics