This is going to come off as rather dumb...but...

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

This is going to come off as rather dumb...but...

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 19th, 2012, 9:02 am

I want to burn some files to CD's to carry along on a trip so my wife can listen to them as I drive. I have no real idea of how to link/connect or set up some kind of play list to burn to a CD/DVD. Adding binaurals etc is even more mystifying!!!

Can anyone give me a simple way to do this please?
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby HypnoCactus » December 19th, 2012, 10:58 am

ok, so it all depends on the program you're using to burn the tracks. the order you have them in before you burn will be the order that they appear on the cd. if you are editing/combining tracks prior to burning them, then you'll need to use a program like audacity before. what exactly are you trying to do? and don't forget, she would need to be using headphones as you shouldn't ever trance and drive!
HypnoCactus
Regular
Regular

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 19th, 2012, 12:44 pm

I have "ImgBurn" CD/DVD software, it's freeware but supposed to be one of the best out there, sadly I haven't used it much at all.

What I would like to do is create some CD/DVD's with inductions/trances/awakeners on them, specific to my wife's interests. I don't think I would be editing anything but I would like them to be fairly seamless. We know about the headphones and wouldn't do it any other way.
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby ParanoidLord » December 19th, 2012, 3:28 pm

If you want gapless playback, you probably should go into Audacity and edit everything you want on a CD into one track. Different CD players and different media software handle the separation of CD tracks differently, which is something you might just find easier to deal with beforehand instead of adapting to every device you want to play these things on.
(Don't) avoid the noid.
ParanoidLord
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jadit » December 19th, 2012, 6:15 pm

You will most certainly want to ignore DVD's when it comes to audio files. They belong to CD (simply DVD is too big and not supported by CD-only players). You should also check out if your player supports MP3 files, because then you can fit alot more sound on 1 CD, than if you would write an audio disc.
Jadit
Regular
Regular

Postby uw_onsterfelijk » December 19th, 2012, 7:42 pm

What OS(Linux distro, Mac, Microsoft) are you using?
uw_onsterfelijk
Mentor
Mentor

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 21st, 2012, 12:51 pm

uw_onsterfelijk wrote:What OS(Linux distro, Mac, Microsoft) are you using?

Win 7. I was hoping this would be easy but it's beginning to sound complicated!!!
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby uw_onsterfelijk » December 21st, 2012, 4:55 pm

It's not complicated, but unless you have done it a few times with a few different programs it is a bit difficult to tell you actually how to get exactly done what you want done.

As you know, it's easy to do the same thing almost five different ways on a computer!

Do you know if the CD player in the automobile can play .mp3 files? As that would be beneficial to your cause. I'll wait for your reply before I type out the specific instructions for each project(Audio CD VS. Data CD w/.mp3's).
uw_onsterfelijk
Mentor
Mentor

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 21st, 2012, 5:35 pm

OK...my CD player does play MP3,s according to the manual...whew!
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby uw_onsterfelijk » December 21st, 2012, 6:29 pm

I don't use imgburn but I did manage this...

I booted into Win7, let it load and I'm at the desktop,

Opened CD/DVD drive and inserted a Blank CDR,

Closed drive... Win7 asked if I wanted to burn files to disc, YES!

Then it will ask "how", like USB drive(LIVE file) or like
CD/DVD player,

I chose the latter(like CD/DVD), otherwise it will only work in WinDoze ;)

Then I just dragged some music folders to the CD/DVD drive,

Then I clicked burn files to disc in the upper bar, you'll see it,

It'll take a few and then eject the disc.

VIOLA!

Now, you can drag files simply to the CD/DVD drive and they will be in the "root" folder so to speak. At least with my last CD stereo that's how it would list it. Something like "folder 01" was just files not in a folder, and then "folder 02" etc were actual music in a folders.

Anyways, this helps because... say you want different "sessions", all you have to do is put the corresponding session files(inductions, bodies, wakeners) you want in different folders. And this way they will get played in the correct order.

Hope this helps. You can try it out and let me know how it worked for you. I can do it other ways as well. This was just the simplest.

Goodluck,
- Dan

If all else fails, you might could send me the files and I'd create an "image" file which you'd only have to burn that with imgburn. If you have pay files I would delete them once finished I assure you.
uw_onsterfelijk
Mentor
Mentor

Postby uw_onsterfelijk » December 21st, 2012, 7:01 pm

Oh BTW, using the .mp3 method, the naming of the files will be important! They will be listed just as on your computer, alphabetically.

Create temporary copies and simply prefix using 01-, 02-, 03- and so on.

Example:

induction.mp3, blissful-submissiveness.mp3 and awakener.mp3 would obviously NOT play in the correct order. alphabetically speaking.

But, 01-induction.mp3, 02-blissful-submissiveness.mp3 and 03-awakener.mp3 would play in the correct order.
uw_onsterfelijk
Mentor
Mentor

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 22nd, 2012, 4:19 am

Thanks! The drag and drop is easy, I'm not 100% sure I'll get the naming of the files right but I gotta try. I don't want the awakener first! I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I get a few minutes to try this out...thanks again!
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 22nd, 2012, 5:18 am

OK...just burned a CD and it works great, thanks!!! At some point I'll want to get more complicated and make something more layered but that's enough for now!
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby uw_onsterfelijk » December 23rd, 2012, 3:06 pm

Cool, you're welcome.

As the person above suggested, Audacity( http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ ) is a great program for sound editing. With a few "helpful" instructions you'd get the basic hang of it pretty quickly.

Let me know when the times comes... 'til then, Merry Christmas - Dan
uw_onsterfelijk
Mentor
Mentor

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 24th, 2012, 3:42 am

Merry Christmas Dan! Never fear, the time will come, you may be sorry you offered the help! :D

John
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby xavious » December 25th, 2012, 1:29 am

It's interesting reading through this thread as I've always relied on music/media players to handle my hypnosis playlists.
xavious
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jadit » December 25th, 2012, 9:04 pm

You should buy some cheap USB compatible MP3 player, if you don't have something like iPhone and other new portable players. Unlike CD disc, you can add and remove files as many times as you want. They don't even need separate batteries, but charge themselves through the computer USB cable. Then it's even possible to save real playlists there, so you can re-use same MP3 files to multiple different lists. And 1 more thing, they're small... 4 x 4 x 1 cm is one i bought over year ago.
Jadit
Regular
Regular

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 26th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Jadit wrote:You should buy some cheap USB compatible MP3 player, if you don't have something like iPhone and other new portable players. Unlike CD disc, you can add and remove files as many times as you want. They don't even need separate batteries, but charge themselves through the computer USB cable. Then it's even possible to save real playlists there, so you can re-use same MP3 files to multiple different lists. And 1 more thing, they're small... 4 x 4 x 1 cm is one i bought over year ago.

Unfortunately I wouldn't know how to turn one on (do they turn on with a switch), how to download to one, if you can use headphones etc....and where would I plug it in for my wife in the car, there's no USB port???
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby xavious » December 28th, 2012, 1:25 am

swmnkdinthervr wrote:
Jadit wrote:You should buy some cheap USB compatible MP3 player, if you don't have something like iPhone and other new portable players. Unlike CD disc, you can add and remove files as many times as you want. They don't even need separate batteries, but charge themselves through the computer USB cable. Then it's even possible to save real playlists there, so you can re-use same MP3 files to multiple different lists. And 1 more thing, they're small... 4 x 4 x 1 cm is one i bought over year ago.

Unfortunately I wouldn't know how to turn one on (do they turn on with a switch), how to download to one, if you can use headphones etc....and where would I plug it in for my wife in the car, there's no USB port???

An MP3 player is just like a CD Player only with the cd playing capability substituted for its own internal memory. All good MP3 players have an on-off method. They can differ in how, but it's fairly easy to understand. You wouldn't hook your MP3 Player up to the car but would hook the headphones up directly to the MP3 Player itself.

The best part about MP3 Players is that they use tags on the files to sort the files and many support playlists allowing you to sync up various hypnosis files and select whichever ones you want to listen to into a list that can be saved and reused as many times as you want and even deleted when you don't want it anymore. CD's are much more limited in that typically once a set of files are burned you can't change the order in a convenient way.
xavious
Mentor
Mentor

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 28th, 2012, 5:02 am

Looks like I will be exploring an MP3 player!!!
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby xavious » December 28th, 2012, 1:49 pm

If you want some help with buying options I'd advise giving us a rough idea of your budget. It's worth noting that not all of the cheaper players come with in-built playlist functionality.
xavious
Mentor
Mentor

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 29th, 2012, 1:19 pm

xavious wrote:If you want some help with buying options I'd advise giving us a rough idea of your budget. It's worth noting that not all of the cheaper players come with in-built playlist functionality.

As usual I started reading about them immediately to find a decent one for a good price. My wife went out and bought one before we could talk about it! She got a 4 gig SanDisk "sansa clip zip, it allows use of a micro SD/SDHC card to increase the size of the playlist, it has a FM radio function, it even has a stopwatch (?) and there is some functionality on the device with several lists etc.. It appears the playlist is created on the computer before loading to the MP3 player but it seems you can add/delete and show video (on the tiny 1" square screen!).

There is nothing about doing anything but putting music on it...sigh, I know this is gonna be simple but I've never even touched one before!!!
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby uw_onsterfelijk » December 29th, 2012, 1:35 pm

Start with this, learning the mp3 player, and succeed!

Then I won't worry so much when the time comes for us to go over Audacity, haaaaaahahaha :-P

You'll get it man, good luck. Afterall, your wife's hypnotically enhanced submission to you is hanging in the balance... what better motivation would you NEED?!
uw_onsterfelijk
Mentor
Mentor

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 29th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Ummmm, don't run off so fast...what I need to know is....

Do the trance files get entered just like music files? I promise to have more questions shortly! 8)

Like, are all music or files from CD's all MP#'s...or do I have to somehow convert them???
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby uw_onsterfelijk » December 29th, 2012, 4:42 pm

http://mp3support.sandisk.com/downloads/um/clipzip-um.pdf

Start with chapter 4, page 14 ;)

Let's keep this simple, all your trance files are mp3's right? Located on your computer to begin with?

If so, no need to worry about CD formatting whatsoever.

Oh and for your question, a .mp3 is simply a compressed format "audio" file. So if the instructions speak of "music" mp3's, you can assume to work with your trance files in the same exact manner.

hth's,
- Dan
uw_onsterfelijk
Mentor
Mentor

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 30th, 2012, 5:55 am

Thanks Dan,

That has twice the info the instructions we git have! I'll be reading that this morning, since I've never touched one on these things I'm certain there will be more questions! Thanks again for your time!!!

John
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 30th, 2012, 7:37 am

Next question...how do I create a seamless file using a separate induction/body/awakener so one trance can be chosen at a time???
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby uw_onsterfelijk » December 30th, 2012, 7:39 pm

To create an actual "seamless" file of session parts would require Audacity, as we have mentioned.

But... the whole point of the mp3 player purchase advice was to implement "playlists"!!! I would think your mp3 player(Sandisk) using a playlist would play the files in a seamless enough manner, although I'm not sure of that.

EXAMPLE: If you had these trance files on the player:

1)induction-a
2)induction-b
3)body-a
4)body-b
5)awakener-a
6)awakener-b

You could create playlists that would play like this:

a a a - Files 1, 3 and 5
a a b - Files 1, 3 and 6
a b b - Files 1, 4 and 6
b b b - Files 2, 4 and 6
b b a - Files 2, 4 and 5
b a a - Files 2, 3 and 5

Instead of having just two sessions, you could mix-n-match as above having a possible six sessions! Make sense???

If you have trance files that you are content with at this time, meaning they're effective, then I would figure out how to create and play a playlists on the device first.

After that, if you want to learn how to use Audacity for a custom session for your wife well, we'll cover that then.

Baby steps John, baby steps! Hehe, jus' teasin' ya man :-P

As always, you're welcome and... ask away if you need more clarity or help, - Dan
uw_onsterfelijk
Mentor
Mentor

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 31st, 2012, 5:11 am

Thanks Dan!

The good news: it seems like there is a way to be able to play the 2, 3 or 4 needed files in succession.

The bad news: your response might just as well have been in Vulcan mind speak!

IF (and that is a hopeful thought at this point), I can figure out how to make/add files in the way you describe I'm still not getting how would I be able to play them in the order I want and stop them when those files have finished? Obviously I'm just missing something here, this is all above my head. Unfortunately I have nobody around here to ask so I REALLY appreciate the help you have offered.

I guess my lack is a basic understanding of how this all works, this is kinda like a monk just leaving the temple in Tibet for the first time in their life and someone putting them in a car, showing them how to start it and saying "drive" it! Virtually all of the tutorials I've watched start out as though the person they are instructing knows how to use this device!

I'm thinking this MP3 player was a waste of money, I suppose will need to buy a portable CD player to get functionality I can understand and use in this lifetime. How well does a couple of cans and a string work? :D

John
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby xavious » December 31st, 2012, 5:45 am

My advice would be learn how to add your hypnosis files to Windows Media Player. at your discretion, since it would appear that the SanDisk is compatible with syncing (this is really just a fancy way of saying managing through copying/deleting), especially Playlists. This will make things a lot easier since Windows Media Player can handle a lot of things for you automatically.

A playlist for a computer/Mp3-like device is just their way of me handing you a bunch of albums and a list of specific songs on each I want you to play for me in the order I want. Playlists don't mess with the original files details, but allow you to create custom lists/albums out of files you already have. A bit like a mixtape, I guess.

For files that include their own induction/body/awakener you can just add them individually. Playlists are great for individual hypnosis files that you want to mix and match.

Also, if the SanDisk is as good as I suspect, you can learn how to use repeat options to make your listening more pleasurable. Most typically have the ability to play the "album" straight through once, repeat everything, or just repeat the same file, plus potentially more. This is great if you just want one file repeatedly, or one playlist several times.

The way MP3's are sorted depends on the tags. These are attached to each file with info on the audio in question, i.e. the song title, artists and album, etc. Of course depending on where you get the files from this info may be already complete/incomplete/incorrect/missing with only the file name telling you want it is. You needn't worry about this too much with smaller numbers of files, depending on how OCD you are! We can always cover this later if need be.

My initial advice would be, pick a folder on your computer to be your hypnosis file folder and stick the files there, then use the SanDisk manual to add them to Windows Media Player. See how you get along and try and create some Playlist/s too if you feel up to it.
xavious
Mentor
Mentor

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 31st, 2012, 6:22 am

Thanks for the sound advice...seems like a good plan and I will practice that but after trying something simple just now this will be more difficult than I had hoped! Windows Media Player doesn't even see the folder I have all the MP3's in even though I can open that folder through "My Documents" individually.

I can drag and drop the files in the media player but I can't figure out how to label them so they will play in succession unless there is only one file on the whole MP3 player. I don't think a trance will work if I have to stop the car to pick/load a file every few minutes while my wife is waiting!!!

I've never made playlists on any media player, the most I've done is burn files to a CD but not music files, my experience with a computer has been mostly work related and surfing but I did build one a few years ago on my own. I am VERY grateful for all the help but unfortunately like I have been saying this is ALL new to me and all your advice is starting out above my level of ability. :(

I planned on having this available to use on our trip south on the 4th but it doesn't look like I will be up to speed by then. The clip on the back makes a neat paper clip though!!! :D

Thank you all for your help!!!
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby xavious » December 31st, 2012, 6:39 am

For playlists you don't need to label. Drag and drop the files you want over the playlist you've created (in the list on the left) either in the order you want them or you can click on the playlist to view and then drag and drop each file by looking for the black bar that appears. Then just click and drag the playlist to the mp3 sync list (making sure that both the mp3 player is plugged in and recognised by Windows Media Player and that it's on the sync tab (top right).

If you need more clear instructions I can probably make some screenshots or something, but not right now. Play around a little and you might get it in the meantime.
xavious
Mentor
Mentor

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 31st, 2012, 3:23 pm

Once the files are on the MP3 player how will I know which file is which with no tags/labels...and how will I switch between files while my wife is waiting for the next file without disturbing her trance???

I don't think anyone is getting the BASIC questions I'm asking here!!!

Thanks, everyone but I think this will be a nice gift for our granddaughter, or I may be able to hit the pond in one throw!!!
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby uw_onsterfelijk » December 31st, 2012, 3:52 pm

Well, you could always go back to the way "we" figured it out for you using CD's!

One CD per trance session, they're cheap enough and only slightly less convenient.

Jus' a thought ;)
uw_onsterfelijk
Mentor
Mentor

Postby swmnkdinthervr » December 31st, 2012, 4:39 pm

That is just what I'm going to do, now I have to go out and buy a CD player! It really shouldn't be this hard to use what everyone else calls simple...oh well...

Thanks Dan...everyone!
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby uw_onsterfelijk » December 31st, 2012, 4:55 pm

I thought you were using the CD player in the vehicle???

Be forewarned, the new CD player would need to read mp3 FILES!
As that's how "we" did it. It should state that on the package ;)

Good Luck mon'
uw_onsterfelijk
Mentor
Mentor

Postby xavious » December 31st, 2012, 6:04 pm

Well I tried to help and provided plenty of info. There's only so simple one can go when describing something. Perhaps if you gave us an idea of where PRECISELY you aren't able to follow the information provided in the manual linked to and/or the information many of us have given then we can help you better. The little I read of the former described the process rather decently. Read from page 14 onwards; I really couldn't explain it much better than they do.

If you create a playlist then load that list up on the SanDisk, it won't matter what the files are called if they are in the correct order. The device will simply play all of the files in the order you add them.

From the manual I linked to:
Follow these steps to play music:
Select Music from the Main Menu.
Select from the music content groupings: Shuffle List, Artists, Albums, Songs,
Genres, Playlists, or Folders.

Once you've selected Playlists (and have correctly synced the playlist/s you want to use) you can pick that playlist and play the songs. Of course none of this matters unless you understand the stuff described in the manual from page 14 onwards. That concerns connecting the SanDisk, adding files to Windows Media Player, creating and syncing Playlists.

An MP3 player is much more powerful and flexible than a CD player is, but you have to be willing to learn first if you've never used one.
xavious
Mentor
Mentor

Postby swmnkdinthervr » January 1st, 2013, 4:29 am

uw_onsterfelijk wrote:I thought you were using the CD player in the vehicle???

Be forewarned, the new CD player would need to read mp3 FILES!
As that's how "we" did it. It should state that on the package ;)

Good Luck mon'

I remember your info about the CD player reading MP3 files and will shop accordingly...with headphones!

xavious...it's sad you think of us as so "simple" and we have to say your condescending attitude isn't helpful at all. My wife and I have both spent more an hour each solo (and together) trying to put files on this MP3 player in a way that they are easily located/accessible without disturbing the listener.

Neither of us are ignorant/stupid, we simply are not up to speed with this technology. We are willing/able to learn but you can't begin instruction above the knowledge level of the student and then look down on them for "not getting it," that is frustrating and useless.

This is probably something that we need someone to sit down and show us in person, we really do appreciate your efforts!
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby xavious » January 1st, 2013, 5:13 am

Any hostility you might sense from my posts is only a response to the tone of your own. Suffice to say that this is the last time I'll try to help anyone.
xavious
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jadit » January 1st, 2013, 12:16 pm

Each MP3 player has its own user interface, so it might be difficult to give universal advice. But i can describe steps i do, when i add 1 audio file to playlist.
- Now start situation is that i have already moved MP3 files from computer to the player, via the cable. I don't make lists on the computer, i like being able to manipulate the playlist without computer.
- There are 5 buttons needed here: Up, Down, Play, Back, Details.

- Press Back until you are in main mode.
- Select "Folders", and browse to "Music\", which is where i put them with Windows Explorer.
- Now i see list of MP3 filenames on the LCD display, 3 at the time because of small screen... I use Up and Down to select audiofile i want to add.
- Click Play button twice, so it opens it and then stop auto-play.
- Click Details button, and select "To playlist". Then just select 1 of internal playlists 1, 2 or 3, and click Play to add it.

Again, these instructions might not work at all if your player is very different. But it might give some tips.
Jadit
Regular
Regular

Postby swmnkdinthervr » January 1st, 2013, 2:02 pm

xavious wrote:Any hostility you might sense from my posts is only a response to the tone of your own. Suffice to say that this is the last time I'll try to help anyone.

There was never ANY hostility intended in any post, we really appreciated yours and everyone else's attempt to help and said so often. Even our last response was honest but polite.
Last edited by swmnkdinthervr on January 1st, 2013, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Postby swmnkdinthervr » January 1st, 2013, 2:04 pm

Thanks Jadit, that's a different approach and we will take a swing at it tonight.
swmnkdinthervr
Regular
Regular

Return to Help with Files