EMG, could you put all the free/free+premium files in an arc

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

EMG, could you put all the free/free+premium files in an arc

Postby bilijana » January 2nd, 2006, 12:54 am

I personally like to keep a copy of each and every file, and only being able to download 2 at a time, tis very frustating. Many people mowadays have broadband, and I figure it's not a lot of work to arrange the files by type(Script, body, etc). This sort of thing probably doesn't appeal to many, but it owuld make few of us very happy.

Anyone other than me interested?

Bilijana.
bilijana
Regular
Regular

Re: EMG, could you put all the free/free+premium files in an

Postby EMG » January 2nd, 2006, 12:59 am

The problem is that every time I added a file I would have to update the arc/zip/etc and re-upload it, and that would NOT be a small file. Compression doesn't work on mp3 files so it would be the same size as every file on the site.

bilijana wrote:I personally like to keep a copy of each and every file, and only being able to download 2 at a time, tis very frustating. Many people mowadays have broadband, and I figure it's not a lot of work to arrange the files by type(Script, body, etc). This sort of thing probably doesn't appeal to many, but it owuld make few of us very happy.

Anyone other than me interested?

Bilijana.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bilijana » January 2nd, 2006, 6:08 pm

EMG, I realize that zip compression does not work on mp3's.. that's because they're alreayd zip compressed :P

I would love to just have all the files that you have now. Downloading files as you upload them is easy. But, when I try to get every single file available to me currently, it's a real pain in the ass. I just want to have the one big file that I can download. I realize it will not be smaller. The compression of the scripts and the over-head of the mp3's might cancel each-other out(I know some tech junk).

I just wish I could at least be downloading more than two files at any given time. I'm not sure why it happens, perhaps it's a setting in IE prefventing me from making too many simultanioues conenections. Whatever it is, it's frustrating.

Anyway, this turned into more a ramble than anything :P Thank you for reading the post and replying.

Billie
bilijana
Regular
Regular

Firefox

Postby tecywiz121 » January 2nd, 2006, 10:17 pm

Use firefox :) It doesn't have any limits on downloading and if you have dial up I would recomend fasterfox.
tecywiz121
Mentor
Mentor

Postby bilijana » January 3rd, 2006, 7:41 pm

I can't use Firefox; already got Firefox, two copies of Opera and Netscape installed. Basically everyone on the hosue has their own 'net browser and I got stuck with IE, unfortunatley. I'd love to be using Firefox or Opera.
bilijana
Regular
Regular

Postby mr_pink » January 3rd, 2006, 7:43 pm

Huh? What does that matter? Just install it and use away! There are no limits on what browsers people use 8O
mr_pink
Regular
Regular

Postby anthrax » January 3rd, 2006, 8:19 pm

You could allways use getright, or any number of downloaders that are available out there.

I use a combination of Firefox with the Flashgot extention. It grabs every link on a page and sends them all to getright.
I then open getright, prune out any links I don't want it to grab, and let it go. Because it can be set to only download a maximum number of files at a time, you can set it to 2 and watch it go.

It works wonders with pages that have a lot of links, but if some of those files have the same name, it can be a pain, like with some of the subliminals that have the same name as the full file.

You don't have to use flashgot. You could grab each file individually and put them in getright, which would let you specify where the files went and what to call them as you click on them. This would be extremely tedious, but at least you could queue them up as you went, and not have to wait. I'm not sure if firefox does this by itself, but at least when you use a downloader like getright you are able to close the browser when you are finished.

What's the point of becoming something in life...

...why can't I just be me...?
anthrax
Regular
Regular

Postby bilijana » January 3rd, 2006, 10:10 pm

It DOES matter if I install ANOTHER copy of Firefox as people will notice. Might I mention this isn't my computer? I share it with 4 others.

Also.. I do have getright. And yes, downlaoding files with the same name sucks. However, Ihadn't even thought of using getright, so thank you for the idea! I shall try that next time I do actually get a chance to download the files.

Thanks!
bilijana
Regular
Regular

Postby Jack » January 4th, 2006, 7:11 am

I don't understand why you can't utilize one of the other users installation of firefox.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell
"By doing certain things certain results follow." A. Crowley, Book of Lies
"Dum spiro, spero." - Cicero
Jack
Guru
Guru

Portable Firefox

Postby homerj1620 » January 4th, 2006, 3:56 pm

You could always use [url=http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/browsers/portable_firefox]Portable Firefox[/url]. It's desinged to run off of a USB drive and keep all the settings there.

Description (from the site):

"Portable Firefox is a fast, full-featured web browser that's easy to use. It has all the same great features as regular Firefox including popup-blocking, tabbed-browsing, integrated search, improved privacy features, automatic updating and more. Plus, it leaves no personal information behind on the machine you run it on, so you can take your favorite browser along with all your favorite bookmarks and extensions with you wherever you go."

/me Firefox user since it was called Phoenix...
homerj1620
Mentor
Mentor

Postby bilijana » January 4th, 2006, 10:58 pm

The idea of installing multiple browsers(on the shared admin account on XP) was so that everyone can personalize their broswer with bookmarks, settings, stuff like that.

I cannot have another browser running, even off the USB drive because unlike most computer users, I use an actual firewall. Windows firewall does not count as an actual program; it is little more than a pice of shit. Back to the point.. if I try to run anything without someone knowing, they will know because it will come up on the firewall, and my brother, who runs the computer essentially, ill know and block it. He will also give me an interrogation as to why I would do this. I could simply asnwer that it's for privacy reasons. Then he wonders what I have to hide.

Can you see where the problem is?
bilijana
Regular
Regular

Postby anthrax » January 4th, 2006, 11:18 pm

It should still work. When you run firefox when logged in as another user, all it does is create a profile for you in your windows profile, which contains your history, bookmarks, temp files, etc. The actual firefox exe that you execute is in program files, and is the same that everybody else runs, and thusly your firewall (software firewall, right?) should know about it. You should try it out anyway just to be sure, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

anthrax
Regular
Regular

Postby bilijana » January 5th, 2006, 3:45 am

I suppose it is worth a shot. However, I don't have a flashdrive :P
bilijana
Regular
Regular

Postby Jack » January 5th, 2006, 7:16 am

I believe anthrax was suggesting that you try what I said.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell
"By doing certain things certain results follow." A. Crowley, Book of Lies
"Dum spiro, spero." - Cicero
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby bilijana » January 5th, 2006, 5:32 pm

Jack, I don't think you realize that everyone who users this computer stays onthe same account. Also, if Iwere to use someone else's install, they would notice it in their history and such.
bilijana
Regular
Regular

Postby anthrax » January 5th, 2006, 5:39 pm

If everybody is using the same windows login, then you could use the firefox profile manager to create your own profile, which would store all your info in a different place. When you are finished browsing, simply set up the exisiting profile (your brothers was it?) as the default and he'll be none the wiser.

anthrax
Regular
Regular

Postby bilijana » January 5th, 2006, 10:56 pm

I do not mean to insult anyone but no, my brother is not ignorant nor stupid. He has many ways of finding out where I surf, so, yeah. It's complicated.

I suppose I have little choice other than to download as I currently *sigh- Oh well.
bilijana
Regular
Regular

Postby wix » August 6th, 2006, 6:19 pm

Firefox supports different profiles, doesn't it? You would have your own bookmarks, history etc.
wix

Postby jooli » August 8th, 2006, 4:16 pm

No need to change browsers.
[url]www.gozilla.com[/url]
Install this and link it to your IE, then use the LinkLeech feature. IIRC, the free version is adware, but not in a painfully unusable way. Also supports interrupted downloads and automatically unzips/installs if you want it to.
jooli
Regular
Regular

Postby homerj1620 » August 8th, 2006, 6:35 pm

anthrax wrote:If everybody is using the same windows login, then you could use the firefox profile manager to create your own profile, which would store all your info in a different place. When you are finished browsing, simply set up the exisiting profile (your brothers was it?) as the default and he'll be none the wiser.

For Firefox there is an extension called "Stealther" that works quite well. Here is the description: "If there are times you want to surf the web without leaving a trace in your local computer, then this is the right extension for you."

You can also download [URL=http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable]Portable Firefox[/URL] and run it on a USB drive. It won't leave any traces on the local computer. If you'd like to anonymize the traffice going from your computer, there is a modification of Portable Firefox called Torpark that includes Tor (an anonymizing network). I use this to get around content filters at my college.
homerj1620
Mentor
Mentor

Postby bilijana » August 9th, 2006, 4:25 pm

Regardless of what I use to surf, it will still be in the firewall log. If I start using some other program, he'll ask why, and will immediatley know I've got something to hide, and therefore, investigate further.
bilijana
Regular
Regular

Postby EMG » August 9th, 2006, 4:33 pm

Go to the flea market, buy a used laptop, get a wireless card and DL at Starbucks and don't let him have any access since it is your computer.

bilijana wrote:Regardless of what I use to surf, it will still be in the firewall log. If I start using some other program, he'll ask why, and will immediatley know I've got something to hide, and therefore, investigate further.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby homerj1620 » August 9th, 2006, 5:36 pm

bilijana wrote:Regardless of what I use to surf, it will still be in the firewall log. If I start using some other program, he'll ask why, and will immediatley know I've got something to hide, and therefore, investigate further.

If you use Torpark, there will be no logs in the firewall relating to any specific site. Though, if that's your situation I'd second what EMG said about picking up a laptop.
homerj1620
Mentor
Mentor

Postby xanthk » August 9th, 2006, 11:57 pm

bilijana wrote:I do not mean to insult anyone but no, my brother is not ignorant nor stupid. He has many ways of finding out where I surf, so, yeah. It's complicated.

I suppose I have little choice other than to download as I currently *sigh- Oh well.

Just out of curiousity, if your brother follows everyones' browsing activities so closely, who's to say he doesn't know everything already?
Whoever said nothing is impossible, never tried slamming a revolving door....
xanthk
Regular
Regular

Postby Hyp-know-fetish » August 9th, 2006, 11:59 pm

Can you not install it on your login, and your login only?
Hyp-know-fetish
Mentor
Mentor

Postby bilijana » August 10th, 2006, 2:27 pm

Emg, a good suggestions, but I can't afford a laptop.

Also, I don't think my brother would know because I haven't given him a reason to look into it. If I started acting suss, he'd know something was up.
bilijana
Regular
Regular

Postby EMG » August 10th, 2006, 3:37 pm

Certainly your choice. A low end laptop can be had for less than $100 if you look hard(used not new) but I know we all have budget issues. So, do what you can to get what you need, I don't have any more suggestions other than learning hypnosis, putting him under, and planting a few suggestions to ignore the site and anything to do with it(and I really wouldn't recommend that either but it sounded humorous).

bilijana wrote:Emg, a good suggestions, but I can't afford a laptop.

Also, I don't think my brother would know because I haven't given him a reason to look into it. If I started acting suss, he'd know something was up.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bilijana » August 12th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Haha, it does indeed sound humorous, but also not a good idea.
bilijana
Regular
Regular

Return to Site Improvements