Problem Downloading files with Mozilla Firefox

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

Problem Downloading files with Mozilla Firefox

Postby sarnoga » September 23rd, 2006, 10:25 am

I have been using Mozilla Firefox as my webbrowser and suddenly I can no longer download the mp3s off this site with it. I can still download the mp3s if I use Windows Internet Explorer and I can still download MP3's from other sites using the Mozilla Firefox.

When I click on a link for a file it opens it as though it were another web page and I get a screen full of charachters.

Is anyone else experiencing this same problem?

Sarnoga
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Re: Problem Downloading files with Mozilla Firefox

Postby willingsub » September 23rd, 2006, 10:31 am

just a minute, I'll try...

...I just downloaded CurseVoodooDoll without any problems. Are you sure FireFox is causing the problem?
willingsub
Regular
Regular

Postby Luperci » September 23rd, 2006, 3:23 pm

I Use DTA One click and when I start a file DL, it just continually restarts after the DL finishes, but the file never shows up in the directory where I sent it.

Help0 if you can please.
Luperci
Regular
Regular

Postby mistschaufel » September 23rd, 2006, 6:30 pm

Don't know about DTA, but with Flashgot on Linux it only downloads download.php...doesn't pick up the full redirect. I would imagine this might be the case for any download managers integrated into Firefox
mistschaufel
Regular
Regular

Postby liljonny » September 23rd, 2006, 8:00 pm

I think my Firefox under Win XP home has a download manager and I have no problems. If I look at the dirrectory while downloading, I will see two files, one with the correct file name and one ending in .part The .part file dissaperes when it is finished.
liljonny
Mentor
Mentor

Postby sarnoga » September 24th, 2006, 6:45 am

I cant figure this out. I don't seem to have a problem with my firefox on any other site. Just on the files here, and its still doing it.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Re: Problem Downloading files with Mozilla Firefox

Postby sarnoga » September 24th, 2006, 6:56 am

willingsub wrote:just a minute, I'll try...

...I just downloaded CurseVoodooDoll without any problems. Are you sure FireFox is causing the problem?

The only thing I'm sure of is that I can no longer download files from this site and only this site with firefox.

I can download anywhere else using my firefox just like I used to.

I can come here in Internet Explorer and download files.

Im not using any kind of download manager just clicking on the file and its supposed to/used to open a box asking me if I want to open the file or save it and when I select save it used to open another box asking where I want to save it and with what name.

Now when I click the file it just opens in the current window as an ugly messed up webpage full of squigglys.

I think the best way to describe it is that it sees it as a link to a new webpage rather than a link to a download.

http://www.warpmymind.com/modules.php?name=Files&file=index&op=PlayFile&ftype=4&fid=145
That is what I get when I check the properties of the underlined file.

Luperci wrote:I Use DTA One click and when I start a file DL, it just continually restarts after the DL finishes, but the file never shows up in the directory where I sent it.

Help0 if you can please.

What is DTA?
Last edited by sarnoga on September 24th, 2006, 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby Luperci » September 24th, 2006, 7:09 am

DTA is a download manager for Firefox. DTA stands for Down Them All
Luperci
Regular
Regular

Postby sarnoga » September 24th, 2006, 7:17 am

Thanks, Luperci. I used to use that all the time it was great. Then about a year ago I downloaded the newest version of Firefox and the plug in for DTA and a bunch of other stuff quit working.

What version of Firefox are you using.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby Luperci » September 24th, 2006, 7:21 am

firfox 1.5.0.7
Luperci
Regular
Regular

Postby sarnoga » September 24th, 2006, 7:48 am

I think that might have been the one that gave me problems with DTA. I tried to go back to the old version but the plugin for DTA never worked right after that. The version I am using now is 1.0.7
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby liljonny » September 24th, 2006, 11:16 am

I have Firefox 1.5.0.7 with no problems.
liljonny
Mentor
Mentor

Postby sarnoga » September 24th, 2006, 11:26 am

liljonny wrote:I have Firefox 1.5.0.7 with no problems.

I just upgraded my firefox to the same version you have and it still wont recognize the files as a download. It views them as a page to be opened.

When you click on a file link does it open the box for you to choose to open the file or download it? It used to do that way for me but not anymore.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby Cwolf_FA » September 24th, 2006, 12:28 pm

Huh, the exact same thing is happening to me. I just joined a couple of days ago and the files would download for a while, but now I'm only getting the pages of code. I'm not using Firefox though. I was just downloading through internet explorer.
Cwolf_FA
Regular
Regular

Postby Cwolf_FA » September 24th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Huh, the exact same thing is happening to me. I just joined a couple of days ago and the files would download for a while, but now I'm only getting the pages of code. I'm not using Firefox though. I was just downloading through internet explorer.
Cwolf_FA
Regular
Regular

Postby sarnoga » September 24th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Cwolf_FA wrote:Huh, the exact same thing is happening to me. I just joined a couple of days ago and the files would download for a while, but now I'm only getting the pages of code. I'm not using Firefox though. I was just downloading through internet explorer.

So far I can still download in internet explorer. It only seems to happen to me using firefox. I even reinstalled firefox but that didn't help.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby sarnoga » September 24th, 2006, 5:28 pm

Just checked again. Cant download with firefox but can with internet explorer. Problem is internet explorer is a pain in the ass and thats why I dont use it.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby Cwolf_FA » September 24th, 2006, 5:43 pm

Well, so far nothing I've used to try and download has worked.
Cwolf_FA
Regular
Regular

Postby Luperci » September 24th, 2006, 6:43 pm

I can DL with flashgot with the net transport 2 dl manager extension.
Luperci
Regular
Regular

Postby sarnoga » September 24th, 2006, 7:07 pm

Luperci wrote:I can DL with flashgot with the net transport 2 dl manager extension.

When you do does it properly name the files?
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby sarnoga » September 24th, 2006, 9:42 pm

Well... I used to be able to download the files in Internet Explorer but now I cant get to the files page with it. It goes there but the page is blank.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » September 24th, 2006, 10:09 pm

So, now IE is failing too? Let me see if I can find anything out for you. This shouldn't be causing that level of troubles.

sarnoga wrote:Well... I used to be able to download the files in Internet Explorer but now I cant get to the files page with it. It goes there but the page is blank.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sarnoga » September 24th, 2006, 10:22 pm

In Firefox, if I go to the file page and under file type select the tab for "your files" and then click on LRSubmission which I should have access to I get a page that is blank except for what I have cut and pasted below. Just including this here cause it might be useful information. But then again it might not be.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/warpmymi/public_html/modules/Services/Order.php:520) in /home/warpmymi/public_html/modules/Files/index.php on line 44
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby Cwolf_FA » September 25th, 2006, 12:48 pm

Yeah. I see the same banner message. On Internet Explorer it doesn't come up at all, and on Safari it loads the page of code and then freezes so I have to force quit it.
Cwolf_FA
Regular
Regular

Postby EMG » September 25th, 2006, 2:34 pm

Actually that may help me quite a bit. I'll take a look at it tonight.

sarnoga wrote:In Firefox, if I go to the file page and under file type select the tab for "your files" and then click on LRSubmission which I should have access to I get a page that is blank except for what I have cut and pasted below. Just including this here cause it might be useful information. But then again it might not be.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/warpmymi/public_html/modules/Services/Order.php:520) in /home/warpmymi/public_html/modules/Files/index.php on line 44
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby odlid » September 25th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Not sure if Linux firefox is the same but....
I middle click the file title to open it in a new tab.
I get a blank (untitled) tab, and the the save file dialog pops up.
Choose Firefox's internal download option (dta and flashgot seem to miss the mark).
And yay.... files download...

Any help?
odlid

Postby sarnoga » September 25th, 2006, 7:13 pm

odlid wrote:Not sure if Linux firefox is the same but....
Choose Firefox's internal download option (dta and flashgot seem to miss the mark).

Any help?

What is middle click? I have a right and left button on the mouse. The left one opens it in a web page and the right one gives me a bunch of options that do not help as though I have right clicked on a link to a web page.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby sarnoga » September 25th, 2006, 7:24 pm

EMG wrote:Actually that may help me quite a bit. I'll take a look at it tonight.

sarnoga wrote:In Firefox, if I go to the file page and under file type select the tab for "your files" and then click on LRSubmission which I should have access to I get a page that is blank except for what I have cut and pasted below. Just including this here cause it might be useful information. But then again it might not be.

Thanks for looking into this. If there is any other information I can give you that will help please let me know.

What I have done so far....

Removed Firefox and reinstalled it..... that didn't help.

Removed any programs I have added in the last three months and then removed firefox again and reinstalled it.... that didn't help.

Removed firefox again and then manually edited the registry to remove any left over references to firefox. Then manually edited the registry again to remove any references to any of the other programs I had uninstalled. Shut off the computer, turned it back on, checked to make sure everything worked and then reinstalled firefox.

I then came here to the file page and am having the very same problems as before.

I have no clue what to do next. Ive done everything I can possibly think of to do at this end.

Sarnoga
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby odlid » September 26th, 2006, 12:57 pm

sarnoga wrote:What is middle click? I have a right and left button on the mouse. The left one opens it in a web page and the right one gives me a bunch of options that do not help as though I have right clicked on a link to a web page.

Middle click is a click on the middle button or mousewheel. If you havn't got one, then sometimes clicking both buttons at the same time will do it. Otherwise, right click for the menu and select "open in new tab".
odlid

Postby sarnoga » September 26th, 2006, 3:24 pm

odlid wrote:
sarnoga wrote:What is middle click? I have a right and left button on the mouse. The left one opens it in a web page and the right one gives me a bunch of options that do not help as though I have right clicked on a link to a web page.

Middle click is a click on the middle button or mousewheel. If you havn't got one, then sometimes clicking both buttons at the same time will do it. Otherwise, right click for the menu and select "open in new tab".

Damn, I just checked it out and now I feel dumb as a stump. I have been using computers for 20 years and never knew that the little wheel on the mouse could also be pressed and function as a button. Thanks.

Now I need to go and see if I can use this new information to download any of the files.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby sarnoga » September 26th, 2006, 3:36 pm

odlid wrote:Not sure if Linux firefox is the same but....

Any help?

Now that I know about middle click I went and tried that, same result. It just opens a page full of code in a new tab instead of a whole new window. Thanks anyway. I still learned what a middle click is. <smile>
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby odlid » September 26th, 2006, 4:25 pm

sarnoga wrote:Now that I know about middle click I went and tried that, same result. It just opens a page full of code in a new tab instead of a whole new window. Thanks anyway. I still learned what a middle click is. <smile>

Well that's something I suppose! One last thing to try then... go to Firefox's preferences, then the "Downloads" tab, and click "View & Edit Actions" under Download Actions. Mine just has two entries for Shockwave Flash. If you've got a bunch of other ones, especially for .php and .mp3 files, try removing them and see if it helps.

Otherwise you might have an over enthusiastic extension working. If you have FlashGot, make sure it's set not to intercept all downloads. DTA shouldn't be a problem, and I don't have any others installed...
odlid

Postby sarnoga » September 26th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Thanks I'll try that. As of yet I havent installed any extentions. I just reinstalled Firefox a few days ago after I started having this probelm and so far only have what came with the basic install.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby sarnoga » September 26th, 2006, 5:14 pm

odlid wrote:
sarnoga wrote:Now that I know about middle click I went and tried that, same result. It just opens a page full of code in a new tab instead of a whole new window. Thanks anyway. I still learned what a middle click is. <smile>

Well that's something I suppose! One last thing to try then... go to Firefox's preferences, then the "Downloads" tab, and click "View & Edit Actions" under Download Actions. Mine just has two entries for Shockwave Flash. If you've got a bunch of other ones, especially for .php and .mp3 files, try removing them and see if it helps.

Otherwise you might have an over enthusiastic extension working. If you have FlashGot, make sure it's set not to intercept all downloads. DTA shouldn't be a problem, and I don't have any others installed...

Downloads view and edit actions is under options on my version. There are multiple entrys and none of them are for php or mp3. It wont let me delete any or add new ones.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby sarnoga » September 26th, 2006, 5:24 pm

When I am at the file page and right click on the link one of my menu choises is "link propertys"

the properties it shows for the file links is as follows.

http//www.warpmymind.com/modules.php?name=files&file=index&op=PlayFile&ftype=&fid=549

Shrug.

I think im about to give up.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby sarnoga » September 26th, 2006, 5:27 pm

I also get this message on the top of the file page. I dont know if it has any relation to the problem or not.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/warpmymi/public_html/modules/Services/Order.php:520) in /home/warpmymi/public_html/mainfile.php on line 1163

That message is only there sometimes so it probably has nothing to do with it.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby odlid » September 26th, 2006, 5:35 pm

Shrugs... sorry dude, I gave it my best shot. Maybe it's something else like Norton Firewall filtering the incoming data? I guess I'll just live happily in Linux land where things work and I know why :)
odlid

Postby Cwolf_FA » September 26th, 2006, 6:14 pm

Maybe there's a problem with the accounts or something.
Cwolf_FA
Regular
Regular

Postby sarnoga » September 26th, 2006, 9:57 pm

odlid wrote:Shrugs... sorry dude, I gave it my best shot. Maybe it's something else like Norton Firewall filtering the incoming data? I guess I'll just live happily in Linux land where things work and I know why :)

Thanks for all your help. I've never had any major problems with it before so I wouldn't have thought of it myself, but upon your suggestion I temporarily disabled Norton Internet Protection and everything worked like it should have. Of course leaving it disabled is not an option so now I have to figure out how to make it work right.

I've spent quite a bit of time working on that and one thing I can say for sure is that Norton is a pain in the ass.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby sarnoga » September 27th, 2006, 5:42 am

Well it seems that if Norton ever quits working properly its almost impossible to straighten it out. And getting any help from the people at Symantec is harder than pulling teeth.

I guess there will be no more downloading files for me until I find a new Internet Security Program.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby willingsub » September 27th, 2006, 8:36 am

If the problem is Norton, you may be able to solve it by using IE once. Norton integrates better with IE, by placing two buttons in the upper bar (on the right of where you type an URL) One of these buttons is 'Internet security'. With the pulldown menu you can change the security settings for the specific page you are viewing. Switching to IE, adjusting the security settings for a specific site, and then going back to Firefox has helped me get around viewing problems more than once.

I hope it helps!
willingsub
Regular
Regular

Postby Luperci » September 27th, 2006, 9:59 am

For internet security, I use a combination of PC-Cillan 2002 updated and avg. both of them are antiviral programs that also scan the pages that I am at and scan any files that I am D/L. PC-Cillan also has a good firewall in it
Luperci
Regular
Regular

Postby Cwolf_FA » September 27th, 2006, 1:14 pm

I really don't think it's the downloaders that are messing up. Me and sarnoga have two completely different browsers and programs we're using for downloading and we're having the same problem. Also I'm 100% sure that I didn't change anything on my computer between the time that I downloaded my first files and the time that the downloads stopped working.
Cwolf_FA
Regular
Regular

Postby EMG » September 27th, 2006, 3:11 pm

To make it more interesting, I haven't changed the DL code in 6 months. Hmm... When did your problems start, can either of you remember the exact day?

Cwolf_FA wrote:I really don't think it's the downloaders that are messing up. Me and sarnoga have two completely different browsers and programs we're using for downloading and we're having the same problem. Also I'm 100% sure that I didn't change anything on my computer between the time that I downloaded my first files and the time that the downloads stopped working.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sarnoga » September 27th, 2006, 3:44 pm

EMG wrote:To make it more interesting, I haven't changed the DL code in 6 months. Hmm... When did your problems start, can either of you remember the exact day?

Cwolf_FA wrote:I really don't think it's the downloaders that are messing up. Me and sarnoga have two completely different browsers and programs we're using for downloading and we're having the same problem. Also I'm 100% sure that I didn't change anything on my computer between the time that I downloaded my first files and the time that the downloads stopped working.

Im pretty sure I started having problems on Sunday the 24th but it might have been on Saturday the 23rd. As I mentioned in my earlier post I can get around the download problem by disableing Norton Internet Security.

Willingsub made a suggestion to me a few posts up that I am going to try to figure out and try to see if that helps. If it does not I guess I will be searching for a new internet security program with a firewall.

Thanks Luperci for letting me know that you use PC-Cillan and that it has a good firewall. Before I make a choise I am going to check out to see what is available. If anyone else has any suggestions as to what is a good program for internet security with a firewall I will surely be glad to have them.

Thanks everyone for your help

Sarnoga
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby Cwolf_FA » September 27th, 2006, 3:55 pm

I'm sure it was Saturday(23), because it was the day after I joined.
Cwolf_FA
Regular
Regular

Postby sarnoga » September 27th, 2006, 4:22 pm

willingsub wrote:If the problem is Norton, you may be able to solve it by using IE once. Norton integrates better with IE, by placing two buttons in the upper bar (on the right of where you type an URL) One of these buttons is 'Internet security'. With the pulldown menu you can change the security settings for the specific page you are viewing. Switching to IE, adjusting the security settings for a specific site, and then going back to Firefox has helped me get around viewing problems more than once.

I hope it helps!

All that did for me was open the usual dialog box for norton. Then I couldn't do anything I haddn't tried before. In addition I only get a blank page when trying to access the files page using IE. I then downloaded the latest version of IE, upgrading from version 6 to version 7 and nothing was any different. With IE I can acess any other page on the site but not the main file page. I can even access the top 10 file page but not the main file page.

Norton sucks rocks
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » September 27th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Thanks, there is a change I made on Saturday that "SHOULDN'T" have affected anything. I will review that and see if perhaps I missed something.

Cwolf_FA wrote:I'm sure it was Saturday(23), because it was the day after I joined.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sarnoga » September 27th, 2006, 6:53 pm

EMG wrote:Thanks, there is a change I made on Saturday that "SHOULDN'T" have affected anything. I will review that and see if perhaps I missed something.

Cwolf_FA wrote:I'm sure it was Saturday(23), because it was the day after I joined.

I Just checked and it was definately on the 23rd for me too.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby Lurcho » September 27th, 2006, 7:06 pm

Safari does not work for me either. All I get is gibberish code. For some reason the files have the extension "filename.mp3.html". Why am I downloading html files?
Lurcho

Next

Return to Help with Files