File downloading

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

File downloading

Postby cuck4u » May 16th, 2005, 1:27 am

Greetings,

I would like to congratulate the webmaster for a great new board and its layout. I was a user of the previous version.

I have two questions,

1) How can I download the mp3 files wihout it popping up my generic mp3 player? I would preferably like to do something like right click file link, select 'Save Target As', and then pick folder to download, which also makes it easier to find them later. Currently when I try to download like this I get a bunch of php code. If its not possible to download the mp3 files without activating my preferred mp3 playa, then perhaps theres options on Windoze Media Player that someone could advise me of to enable it to save to folder instead of playing it. Problem as it stands now is that despite broadband, media player wants to take the full duration of the mp3 before it creates a temp file somewhere, which may not even have an mp3 file extension?

2) About a year ago, maybe even less than that there was a yahoo group where they had even more demented files 8O They had warning signs like WARNING CURSE - IREVERSIBLE, NOT even (pick author) CAN REVERSE the effects. Does anybody know what the groups name is or whether it is still around? I'm after the files of course and any new material they may have come up with. Also, suggestions of similar sites with files of a demented nature would be interesting.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful suggestions and time.

Yours cuck4u
cuck4u

Re: File downloading

Postby dharden » May 16th, 2005, 7:19 am

cuck4u wrote:I have two questions,
1) How can I download the mp3 files wihout it popping up my generic mp3 player? I would preferably like to do something like right click file link, select 'Save Target As', and then pick folder to download, which also makes it easier to find them later. Currently when I try to download like this I get a bunch of php code.

If you try to do that from the list of files, you'll get the code for the page which loads when you click the link because that's the link's target, not the script or MP3 file itself.

What happens when you click the link is that the page which loads uses JavaScript window.open (IOW, a pop-up window) to send the file. If you have a pop-up blocker active, it'll stop that, and you can use "Save Target As..." on the link just above the blue line.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby cuck4u » May 16th, 2005, 8:30 am

If you have a pop-up blocker active, it'll stop that, and you can use "Save Target As..." on the link just above the blue line.

Thank you dHarden,

I hadn't noticed that before. The hypno girls ad was kinda taking my focus away I guess :) Plus i had to scroll that bit off the screen as I was downloading at work, where they have broadsband.
cuck4u

Postby NecrochildK » May 16th, 2005, 12:58 pm

I tried that and I still can't seem to download them. What the hell am I doing wrong? :p It was so much easier before the big website upgrade.
NecrochildK

Re: File downloading

Postby sandy82 » May 16th, 2005, 2:47 pm

I have just been through this problem...20 minutes ago. WMP is pre-programmed to play the file as it records the file. In my case, the file records faster than it plays. WMP shows the progress of both. When the recording finishes, I move the listening "cursor" to the right, and WMP behaves as though it has finished playing.

Finding the file was fun. :-(

It was in a Temporary File, called 7TW97462. When I found it (using Explorer or whatever the new editions of BrokenPanes call it), I moved it to the location where I wanted it. This method worked, but there's got to be a better way.

RealPlayer has a tendency to give EMG's files the unwanted and incorrect extension, .mpga. As a very knowledgeable colleague here suggested to me, when that happens you go into the works and change the extension to .mp3

You probably know--better than I do, anyway--how to avoid the clashes between WMP and RealPlayer. That can be a nightmare. You get a corporate turf war on your very own PC.

A note on WMP9 and higher. It's programmed to go to the 'Net to get names, titles and--in Microsoft euphemism--"information to help complete the file." Then you're assured that none of your personal information will be used for anything. I know of two ways to stop this process. Both together work rather well. First is to opt out of all the "helpful" trips to the 'Net. Second is to download the free version of ZoneAlarm and cut off the access of WMP to/from its parentage.

cuck4u wrote:1) How can I download the mp3 files wihout it popping up my generic mp3 player? I would preferably like to do something like right click file link, select 'Save Target As', and then pick folder to download, which also makes it easier to find them later. Currently when I try to download like this I get a bunch of php code. If its not possible to download the mp3 files without activating my preferred mp3 playa, then perhaps theres options on Windoze Media Player that someone could advise me of to enable it to save to folder instead of playing it. Problem as it stands now is that despite broadband, media player wants to take the full duration of the mp3 before it creates a temp file somewhere, which may not even have an mp3 file extension?
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby loony28 » May 16th, 2005, 3:05 pm

:twisted: Ok here's the way to download the files. With the MP3's you want to click on the file and a new page will pop up. Now one of two things will happen. Either the file will start playing in your player or nothing will happen. If it starts to play just stop it. I usually close the player when it pops up playing the file but you don't have to do that. Anyway, you'll see a banner ad for Hypno Girls and below that is some text with the file name in it. What you want to do is right click on the file name there and choose "save as" and you will be able to save it to any folder you want. This is how it worked before the site update so I don't know why people are having problems downloading the files. :twisted:
loony28
Guru
Guru

Postby sandy82 » May 16th, 2005, 3:35 pm

Very clear, loony28. Many thanks.

loony28 wrote::twisted: Ok here's the way to download the files. With the MP3's you want to click on the file and a new page will pop up. Now one of two things will happen. Either the file will start playing in your player or nothing will happen. If it starts to play just stop it. I usually close the player when it pops up playing the file but you don't have to do that. Anyway, you'll see a banner ad for Hypno Girls and below that is some text with the file name in it. What you want to do is right click on the file name there and choose "save as" and you will be able to save it to any folder you want. This is how it worked before the site update so I don't know why people are having problems downloading the files. :twisted:
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby dharden » May 16th, 2005, 4:22 pm

NecrochildK wrote:I tried that and I still can't seem to download them. What the hell am I doing wrong? :p It was so much easier before the big website upgrade.

Could you tell us what browser you're using and what happens when you try to download a file?

I'm not trying to brush you off - far from it! - but it's hard to tell what, if anything, you did wrong without knowing more about what went wrong.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dharden » May 16th, 2005, 4:33 pm

cuck4u wrote:I hadn't noticed that before. The hypno girls ad was kinda taking my focus away I guess :) Plus i had to scroll that bit off the screen as I was downloading at work,

Which might be another reason to want to keep the player from opening up at all.

where they have broadsband.

I guess the ad was taking your focus. (g,d,&rlh)
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby cuck4u » May 16th, 2005, 9:18 pm

Which might be another reason to want to keep the player from opening up at all.

Yeah lol! I was quick with that. Turned down the speakers. I am a fool in that regard that I take a lot of risks. But I seem to thrive on that.

I guess the ad was taking your focus. (g,d,&rlh)

Yep. Whats the abbrev's in brackets stand for?

Is this the wrong forum? Should I repost my second question about which Yahoo group, or what happened to that Yahoo group which had some files that were irreversible curses?

thanks.

cuck4u.

BTW, did anybody else besides me find Lady Lita's home page very trancing? I ended up listening to that about 8 hrs one day.
cuck4u

Postby dharden » May 16th, 2005, 10:08 pm

dharden wrote:I guess the ad was taking your focus. (g,d,&rlh)

cuck4u wrote:Yep. Whats the abbrev's in brackets stand for?

Grin, duck, and run like hell.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Agriff » May 17th, 2005, 6:57 pm

There are irreversable on this site too, there just arnt too many so you have to look hard.
Agriff
Mentor
Mentor

Postby danmalara » May 18th, 2005, 12:03 am

cuck4u wrote:BTW, did anybody else besides me find Lady Lita's home page very trancing? I ended up listening to that about 8 hrs one day.

Did I miss something?? Who is Lady Lita?
My MIND is happy. BLANK and empty. BRAINwashing is GOOD for me.
danmalara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby cuck4u » May 18th, 2005, 9:10 am

Did I miss something?? Who is Lady Lita?

LadyLita is at

http://www.ladylita.com/

And on her index page;

http://www.ladylita.com/index.htm

is a most haunting trance. A few days ago I sat there, tears rolling down my eyes, for possibly 8 hrs straight. But then I am labile.

Ooops! Better watch my language.

From what I have read, she is open minded, experimental, diversely educated, intelligent. Most people who reach that level become hardened and fixed in their thoughts, beliefs, opinions. LadyLita seems to be immune from that.

To be honest, maybe about 2 years ago I chatted with her, when she was starting out. Okay, we didnt chat, she tried to hypnotise me, and I was cold, cruel and just laughed at her. She has come a long way.

I think its the trance on her index page couples with my naturally melancholic nature, and releases it.

I'll quit rambling now. Find out for yourself :)

Thanks dHarden, thank you Agriff. I have noticed the irreversible curses here too. And having been shown how to download them (look for the link below the sirens :) I have downloaded most of them.

cuck4u
cuck4u

Postby danmalara » May 19th, 2005, 12:19 am

I don't like her. I got a bad feeling when I went to her site. I exited the site right about when I read the little warning that said after you listen to the free file that you would become addicted to her and not want to listen to any other hypnotist. I love EMG, and I'm not going to betray him for some one who only gives 1 free file, as apposed to EMG's site full of free files. I just plain like this site, and am not going to switch to another one. :)
My MIND is happy. BLANK and empty. BRAINwashing is GOOD for me.
danmalara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby sandy82 » May 19th, 2005, 9:42 am

danmalara wrote:I don't like her. I got a bad feeling when I went to her site. I exited the site right about when I read the little warning that said after you listen to the free file that you would become addicted to her and not want to listen to any other hypnotist.

Lots of people say lots of things. What can you say about someone who thinks the name "Lady Lita" has appeal. Addicted to her? Why doesn't she claim that, if you listen to the free tape without buying a second, you will come down with syphilis and gonorrhea? :wink:

danmalara wrote:I'm not going to betray EMG for some one who only gives 1 free file, as apposed to EMG's site full of free files. I just plain like this site, and am not going to switch to another one. :)

Dan, I agree completely.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby cuck4u » May 19th, 2005, 11:11 am

Thats cool. It didn't affect me, the hypnosis script. The soundtrack is hypnotic, or trancy, it did affect me, but not to the extent that I wont go anywhere else. I mean I'm still here and, have been elsewhere, and have been back listening to that sountrack too.

Oh, I agree about the single free file being stingy, but I dont think free files were her intention neither. I didn't even download the free file. I have downloaded plenty of files from here though, as thats what this thread is about.

Still her credentials as a hypnodomme are substantial in comparison to other pay hypnodommes. Anyway, enough about her. I just thought of another subject :)

Any of you know about the Stanford Hypnotic Susceptibility Scale?
cuck4u

Postby Agriff » May 19th, 2005, 12:44 pm

Hah, Dan, Your loyalty to EMG is funny. :)
Agriff
Mentor
Mentor

Stanford Hypnotic Susceptibility

Postby sandy82 » May 19th, 2005, 12:48 pm

cuck4u wrote:Still her credentials as a hypnodomme are substantial in comparison to other pay hypnodommes.

High praise, indeed. :wink: On the other hand, comparison with peers is the fairest form of appraisal.

cuck4u wrote:Any of you know about the Stanford Hypnotic Susceptibility Scale?

There are 6-7 hits on Google, using the three words in the subject line. At least two of them hold some interest. I bet you've seen them already.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Return to Help with Files