Some questions about my "trances"?

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Some questions about my "trances"?

Postby dragoner » March 5th, 2007, 7:55 am

Hey there,

When I listen to sessions I now reach what I would call deep relaxation fairly easy. My body feels in a way disconnected from my mind and I dont even know where my limbs are. I also have a sometimes a bit strange feeling in my head (some sort of pressure from inside of my forehead). Sometimes this feeling also changes to a VERY pleasent feeling. I cant really describe it, maybe when this pleasent feeling got much stronger it would be almost like an orgasm inside my head. And when the hypnotist says "you go deeper" I have a feeling like my mind floats down in a way.

I am sure the suggestions to some extent do work. Especially suggestions that influence my emotions, for example like "You love to be hypnotized, you want to be hypnotized" or "my voice makes you feel good". I didnt plan on getting such relatively strong emotions about hypnosis, but those suggestions really have worked. I now love to be hypnotized and just thinking about it gives me a small rush and very positive emotions. Until recently I thought, Ok, I get very pleasent feelings from this, but for the most part I pretend. Well, one time I woke up during a part of a session I regularly listen to. It was the part of the session which contained the post-hypnotic suggestions, and I was quite astonished to hear what was being said there. I had TOTALLY forgotten everything that was said in that part. Now, it occured to me that one certain behaviour of me was a direct consequence of one of those suggestions, and that I had forgotten this fact. Now, THAT BLEW MY MIND. Finally I knew that I dont only pretend and that this really does work.

But nevertheless I am still not really content with the depth of my "trances" (I find that to be a bit of a misleading term). Here some of my "problems":

1. It's not like the words of the hypnotist become my thoughts, there are still many thoughts of my own. Also my mind tends to not entirely focus on the hypnotists words or voice, it drifts to something else. Now you maybe say, oh thats normal. But the problem is: When there is for example a suggestion in the session that I should eg put my hand somewhere, this only seems to happen when my mind is totally focused on the voice. When I am in this "drift mode" nothing happens. Any idea why that is so? Am I pretending? Does that maybe mean I am in no "trance"?

2. How can I get this pressure feeling in my forehead to be replaced by the more pleasent feeling I described? Its not pain, but I'd like to replace it with something more pleasent.

3. Above all I have problems with visualization. Sometimes I see (sort of) clear images, but mostly only for a few seconds. When I see them I get very amazed, and I guess that amazement makes the images disappear again. What can I do to see more realistic images and to keep focused on them and not get so amazed that I finally see something that they disappear? And what should I do: Try to intentionally create the images told by the hypnotist or just wait until they pop up by themselves (which has never happened to me i think)?

4. What is the difference between deep relaxation and real trance? I guess I reach some sort of trance, but it still feels like its not very deep and not much more than a deep relaxation. Don't get me wrong, I really like what happens to me when I listen, but I would also like to reach a deeper state of trance.

Any answer that could help me will be very much appreciated. And dont be harsh on me, I know that I all in all know relatively little about hypnosis, so maybe those questions are not that intelligent.

(sorry for my long winded language. I am no native speaker and dont know how to express this in a more concise way)
dragoner

Re: Some questions about my "trances"?

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » March 5th, 2007, 11:53 am

Thank you for the thoughtful note you posted. It's exciting to read about your success. It's exciting because your progress is similar to my own progress a few months ago.

In your note, you asked about four topics...

1) Responsiveness to Hypnotic Suggestion - not consistent
    2) Adjusting What Trance feels Like
    3) Visualization
    4) The Difference between Relaxation and Trance
This note is only a partial response. It's a response for item #2.

Please think back to the last time you felt that "VERY pleasant feeling".

Do you remember how it occurred? You didn't have to try. It just happened. One moment you were just listening - and the next moment you felt a small rush and very positive emotions.

This was a confirmation of trance. You didn't have to try. It just happened.

Your note also describes a sensation of pressure. I know that feeling! For me - the undesirable habit of *concentrating* as a file was playing would cause a sensation that felt like 'pressure'.

As I learned how easy it is for my mind to switch into trance. it became possible for me to change my undesirable habit. I don't have to concentrate. It just happens.

I hope this will encourage you. Your skill with hypnosis has improved. You know this is true becasue of that "VERY pleasant feeling". It no longer startles you. You've begun welcoming it.

If the cause of the 'pressure' is the same for you as it was for me - maybe soon you'll be able to set aside a habit of concentrating. And even if the cause of the 'pressure' is from something else, please know that I wish you success in getting past it.

MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby dragoner » March 6th, 2007, 5:44 am

Thanks for your answer and your friendly words. You're right. I didnt have to try, it just happened. For me its encouraging that I more and more forget the content of a file the more I listen to it. And with one certain session (the session I talked about in my first post) I always wake up from a "sleep" at the end of it. So, it definately works to some extent. I guess getting further is just a matter of training. But the visualization bothers me a bit. Do you think that also comes naturally? Do the images come naturally or do you create them intentionally?

Any further comments or answers will be very welcomed.
dragoner

Postby subgent7 » March 6th, 2007, 5:55 am

Good post. I share some of your concerns. I love to serve.
subgent7

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » March 6th, 2007, 9:01 am

dragoner wrote: But the visualization bothers me a bit. Do you think that also comes naturally? Do the images come naturally or do you create them intentionally?

Any further comments or answers will be very welcomed.

Visualization is a weakness for me too. I'm learning to live with this limitation - a disappointment. I'm realizing it might be the price I pay for being analytical.

Symptom: My ability to visualize seems to be limited to situations that are based in experience. Balloons tied to the wrist and pulling me up?? Uh... no.
And now that I've posted this in a public forum, let's see if karma causes me to me meet a hypnotist who makes me eat my words. :roll:
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby Blink » March 6th, 2007, 5:02 pm

MN_FriendlyGuy wrote:Visualization is a weakness for me too. I'm learning to live with this limitation - a disappointment. I'm realizing it might be the price I pay for being analytical.

Symptom: My ability to visualize seems to be limited to situations that are based in experience. Balloons tied to the wrist and pulling me up?? Uh... no.
And now that I've posted this in a public forum, let's see if karma causes me to me meet a hypnotist who makes me eat my words.

The "book and balloon" test is gimmicky at best. When it's done correctly, in person, it's a guaranteed success. (I'm not going to explain it, because there are probably people here who want to keep using it.)

Rather than concentrating on visualization, it might be best to open up the other sensory channels as well and think in terms of imagination. Not everyone does his or her best thinking in visual terms.

Let's play a game. Read very slowly and pay attention to the sensory modalities (sight, sound, smell, touch, taste). Analyze your level of response to the various sensory terms and you might find what works best for you.

Imagine your kitchen, or a kitchen in which you'd be comfortable taking a bit of fruit without asking. Let the light be bright enough to see comfortably. Imagine a soft citrus smell and see a stainless steel colander sitting on a countertop, filled with lemons.

The lemons are, of course, large and unblemished and bright, bright yellow. Imagine taking one and notice how the cool, dimpled flesh feels in your hand. Pay attention to the weight--it does seem heavy for its size, doesn't it?--and notice how firm it feels.

You might notice the soft hum of a fluorescent light, or a refrigerator, or maybe just the sound of air moving. It's easy to hear the sound of a drawer opening in the near silence. You can hear the soft ring of the blade as you pick up a kitchen knife. Feel how much cooler it is than the lemon, which is warming to your touch. You can notice how the citrus scent grows stronger as the fruit warms in your hand.

Notice the grain of the wooden cutting board before you put the lemon on it. Roll the lemon back and forth a couple of times, pressing down. Feel it begin to relax under the pressure of your hand. You can feel the minute pops of the fibers giving way. You can feel the firm flesh squeezing in and the fruit flattening slightly against the board as you press down. How does it smell now?

Feel the lemon held securely in your fingertips and see the light glint on the edge of the blade as you move the knife into position. Cut the lemon end-to-end and feel the tiny jets of juice and oil sprinkling your hands as your gently push the knife all the way down. Are the sprinkles cooler than you expected? How does the knife sound as it moves through the fruit and against the board? Take one of the halves and cut it again, even slower this time, making a thick wedge.

Leave the knife on the counter. Lift the wedge of lemon to your lips with both hands and take a sniff. I think this is a good one. A little sweet, but very, very tart. What do you think?

Feel the difference in the temperature when you open your mouth and the cool room air drifts in. Notice how the smell of the lemon wedge changes with your mouth open.

Slip the wedge of lemon deep into your mouth and bite down slowly. Use your back teeth. Grind the peel slowly and get out all the juice and oil. Feel the fibers popping between your teeth. Can you hear the difference in the sounds the flesh makes versus the sound the peel makes when you chew it?

If you have just a tiny bit more saliva in your mouth now than when we started playing this game, you're probably a good hypnotic subject.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby Jacara » March 6th, 2007, 7:39 pm

Thanks Blink, that's a great test for the senses. :D
I don't know if it's because so many senses were involved, but I was able to picture that much more clearly than I normally am when I'm asked to picture something. Maybe inductions/suggestions should include more senses, just to cover the bases and make the imagination work harder.
Jacara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » March 7th, 2007, 7:00 am

I'm tickled! Thank you, Blink, for your thoughtful and well-crafted response. I did, indeed, eat your words.

When it comes to hypnosis visualization, I'm convinced more than ever that familiar things (sight, sound, smell, touch, taste) are 'best choices' for me.
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby joe » March 7th, 2007, 9:45 am

If you have just a tiny bit more saliva in your mouth now than when we started playing this game, you're probably a good hypnotic subject.

practically drooling!
joe
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Blink » March 7th, 2007, 5:48 pm

My secret goal is to get you all drooling for me. :wink:

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Return to General Hypnosis