Help with ADD

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Help with ADD

Postby Fragtagonal » January 2nd, 2008, 6:52 pm

So, I've got ADD. Its pretty annoying, bla bla bla, whatever. The thing is it seems to get in the way of any time i try to get hypnotized. Sure, I go into a trance easy enough, and I have a great imagination so I believe I am highly hypnotizable, BUT I cant seem to focus on whats being said. Por Ejemplo I was listening to a script today and the entire time I was fighting in Assassins Creed, not literally, in my head. So I fight the off topicness of my scatter brain, but is there anyway to fix this, or should I just let my mind wander, figuring that whilst my conscious mind is occupied my subconscious will "get the message."
Fragtagonal

Postby whatsername100 » January 3rd, 2008, 10:41 pm

I know how you feel. I have ADHD, and it's very hard to concentrate. Whenever I'm listening to a file, other parts of my mind wander, and it happens when I'm not even thinking about it.
whatsername100
Regular
Regular

Postby whatthe75 » January 4th, 2008, 4:13 am

ADHD or not it doesn't matter that much if your concious mind goes wondering. You say you go into a trance but your mind wonders.Well that sounds pretty damn good to me.Your tranced and your conscious mind is thinking of other things.That is good. As long as you listen to ( well not really listen to but keep it playing ) the whole file and you wake when told too on the file, then it's all good. Your unconcious is listening.
whatthe75
Guru
Guru

Postby dan_01 » January 6th, 2008, 2:54 pm

blank
Last edited by dan_01 on September 7th, 2009, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dan_01
Regular
Regular

Postby Fragtagonal » January 11th, 2008, 3:30 pm

IMO its not really cool to have ADD. And I'm not saying, "you should be more considerate of my disorder, bla bla, some people can't get rid of it, bla bla, have to deal with it forever." Its just like, I'll be reading a book, and itll mention water fountains, and then i'll say, I wonder how water fountains work. I will then stop reading and research water fountains. Its not some extra-ordinary disorder. Its just lame
Fragtagonal

Postby mikeaaaaaaaa » January 26th, 2008, 1:08 am

Fragtagonal wrote:... Its just like, I'll be reading a book, and itll mention water fountains, and then i'll say, I wonder how water fountains work. I will then stop reading and research water fountains. Its not some extra-ordinary disorder. Its just lame

That probably is the most concise description of ADD ever put into words.

My mind goes wondering, but I still go under.
mikeaaaaaaaa

Postby sunray_2 » January 26th, 2008, 2:31 am

I think the guys and girls with the meditation-fetish consider this a normal human condition. They usually tell stories about the mind being like a monkey jumping from tree to tree distracted by every banana along the way.

For a monkey focusing on bananas is a pretty good strategy though.

A metaphor i get along better with is the one of the mind as an untrained puppy, which tends to be playful and fascinated by everything around too. This is much fun for the puppy, and since puppies are cute you wouldn't want to traumatize it or do something equally cruel, but in your capacity as it's master you would likely prefer if the dog would stop to piss on the carpet and gnaw on the furniture.

On the other hand i am no furry, so identifying parts of me with a dog rubs me a little wrong. Let me try a third metaphor: Assume your mind is an incredibly cute and lovely child ( your decision whether boy or girl ) with no discipline whatsoever. Now if you yell 'Dammit focus!!!', it probably becomes scared and if it is the creative sort, it develops strategies to camouflage it's preference for playing as something actually useful, at which you won't yell.

What works better in my experience is to keep yourself aware of what you are doing, smile if you catch yourself jumping from what you set out to do, acknowledge that for example the inner workings of water fountains are a fascinating topic that you will have a lot of fun researching some time in the future, but that you are right now at another task, and go back to it, in the empirical knowledge that you will forget about the stupid fountains in the next 5 minutes anyway.
sunray_2

Return to General Hypnosis