Sensory Deprivation Box

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Sensory Deprivation Box

Postby hunter » July 24th, 2008, 6:32 am

I am wondering if anyone here has any experiences with sensory deprivation, namely being restrained & blindfolded while listening to looping files?

I am thinking about building a box for myself where I could remain for 24 hours at a time.

Any ideas are appreciated.
hunter
Regular
Regular

Postby Jane_the_Bane » July 24th, 2008, 9:30 am

I know that sensory deprivation was (and very likely is) used as a form of torture by various regimes and countries.
It can be INCREDIBLY effective as a means to enter an altered state of consciousness, though, and under controlled circumstances, it ought to put you into a trance even without any files being used.

24 hours sound somewhat long to me, especially taking into account that any sense of time is lost in such a tank, anyway, and even a couple of minutes can feel like eternity. But hey, whatever floats your boat. Just make sure that you've got some safety measure installed as well, making it possible for you to get out if you really feel the need.

I've been interested in sensory deprivation as well - but I'd use it without any hypno files, just letting my mind expand and lead me wherever it might go: shamanic travel and that sort of thing.
Jane_the_Bane

Postby hunter » July 24th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Thanks for your input. What my plan involves is making a box that I could lay down & be restrained in. I fidget & move around a lot when I sleep, so something simple like a pair of wrist & a pair of ankle velcro points is about it.

I want to get a pair of headphones that I could mount into a frame, in effect keeping my head from moving a lot & forcing me to listen to whatever mp3 files my partner decides to use on me. We have a lot of ideas for permanent changes. That's why I am looking at this route.

I'm good with long term bondage & not claustrophobic, this idea seems a natural choice to make.

We have figured things like fans to circulate an air flow pattern plus a wireless doorbell with a switch near my finger, for a safety as you mentioned.

another option was to hook up a small, 5.6 monitor above my head for a spiral or other visual aid.

Hopefully with all this effort, I should be setting up for some really great, solid changes.

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Hunter

Jane_the_Bane wrote:I know that sensory deprivation was (and very likely is) used as a form of torture by various regimes and countries.
It can be INCREDIBLY effective as a means to enter an altered state of consciousness, though, and under controlled circumstances, it ought to put you into a trance even without any files being used.

24 hours sound somewhat long to me, especially taking into account that any sense of time is lost in such a tank, anyway, and even a couple of minutes can feel like eternity. But hey, whatever floats your boat. Just make sure that you've got some safety measure installed as well, making it possible for you to get out if you really feel the need.

I've been interested in sensory deprivation as well - but I'd use it without any hypno files, just letting my mind expand and lead me wherever it might go: shamanic travel and that sort of thing.
hunter
Regular
Regular

Postby SDoll » July 24th, 2008, 6:11 pm

hunter wrote:I want to get a pair of headphones that I could mount into a frame, in effect keeping my head from moving a lot & forcing me to listen to whatever mp3 files my partner decides to use on me.

Ah ok, you have another person helping you, good. I would't mind trying that too for fun. Hell I really want to try a vac-u-bed. But I don't have someone to help me with that yet.
SDoll
Mentor
Mentor

Postby FloridaPuppy » July 24th, 2008, 6:37 pm

hunter wrote:Any other thoughts are appreciated.

It doesn't sound like your going for the whole nine yards with a breathing system and warm water to float in or anything. Why not get (or visit google and home depot to make!) some spreader bars, cuffs, and a hood or blindfold? Maybe throw in a comfortable mat of some sort to lay on. You'd have something that's likely to be quite a bit safer (no suffocation, firedepartment would see a restrained person but not likely to look in a box, etc) and probably a good bit cheaper. There are tons of guides on how to make spreaderbars on google, cuffs and hoods/blindfolds too, premade stuff isn't that expensive either.
FloridaPuppy
Mentor
Mentor

Postby hunter » July 25th, 2008, 3:46 pm

I would love to get into an isolation tank, sadly not enough space to set one up unless I stared at our bath tub, even so, I could not lay flat in it.

I did sort of ask my chiropractor about it indirectly & he suggested one of those massaging mats from Walgreens. Apparently laying on a hard surface for extended periods can cause your spine to get really messed up.

Those restraints are just to gently keep me in place while my partner is at work or sleeping. We will be building up time limits in 4 hour blocks so we both get used to things, well mostly me. Plus him to keep an eye on me.

I can't see a hood if my head will be enclosed anyway? Besides if I am blindfolded, I can't watch my monitor.

It doesn't sound like your going for the whole nine yards with a breathing system and warm water to float in or anything. Why not get (or visit google and home depot to make!) some spreader bars, cuffs, and a hood or blindfold? Maybe throw in a comfortable mat of some sort to lay on. You'd have something that's likely to be quite a bit safer (no suffocation, firedepartment would see a restrained person but not likely to look in a box, etc) and probably a good bit cheaper. There are tons of guides on how to make spreaderbars on google, cuffs and hoods/blindfolds too, premade stuff isn't that expensive either.[/quote]
hunter
Regular
Regular

Postby jon1223 » July 25th, 2008, 10:54 pm

A little thing you could add for saftey could be an IR camera(night vision), that way you can see any problems. If you live close to a CVS pharmacy, there is a cheap method of converting one of their single use digital cameras into an IR one. I believe it involves removing one of the filters on it, and just adding a row of IR leds inside of the box, a simple job. Just something to think about ^^
jon1223
Regular
Regular

Postby PS360 » July 26th, 2008, 8:44 pm

You reminded me of [url=http://rdcarneiro.deviantart.com/art/IMAGINATION-72188716]this(click)[/url]
PS360
Mentor
Mentor

Return to General Hypnosis