using "not"

This is a place to discuss Files you want to create, script writing, and hypnosis technique.

Moderator: EMG

using "not"

Postby zzzzz » July 9th, 2010, 5:08 pm

i understand that the unconscious mind does nothing with the word "not"

so if there is a construction like: if you are not wearing an object, then this will happen

will this have the opposite effect of what you expected?

are there cases in which "not" will work as intended?

Thanks!
zzzzz
Regular
Regular

not good!

Postby Calimore » July 9th, 2010, 5:33 pm

"Not" is quite an illusive term..

So far, I have best seen it used deceptively, with great purpose,
and have used it thusly myself.

I occasionally see it used with one purpose in mind
but surreptitiously creating another
with extreme amusement!

I do however find that focused use of the word "cannot" can
be very useful on a subconscious level, especially
with more your analytical individuals
(such as myself ).

'Cannot' is one of several words that can
require "artful" hypnotic practice, so
feel free to memorize more inductions until you
you grasp more the nuances, please. :p
If you only Believe in Hypnosis, It can Change Your Life.
Calimore
Guru
Guru

Postby zzzzz » July 10th, 2010, 5:06 am

interesting...

Thanks!
zzzzz
Regular
Regular

When and How to use "not"

Postby softline » August 4th, 2010, 6:40 pm

Physchologist types will tell you not does not work because it requires the user to summon an image of the positive in order to figure out what "not" to do. Unconcious mind really has nothing to do wth it.

Look at a small child that is struggeling to walk or ride a bike for the first time. If you say "don't fall" they invariably fall, because their mind summoned the image of falling as a part of figuring out what to not do.

Generally in hypnotism it is better to use a positive word with the desired negative meaning. For example it is better to say "you are naked" than "don't wear any clothes". Carefully review your scripts for not and not like words and replace them with positives and you get better results.

Not can be used to get the positive result of the negative phrase. For example in one file I used the wording:

Wear anything you want on your next visit. But don't wear red"

The subject always shows up wearing something red. This approach has to be used carefully. A flood of nots seldom gets good results.

Another word to be avoided is "will", because it implies choice to do the requested action. Use a more definite wording.

For example don't say:
Tommorrow you will visit me.

Better to say
Tommorrow you visit me.
softline

Postby phryne » October 17th, 2010, 2:47 am

Calimore's post seems real insightful. However, what Calimore calls 'artistry might be called mastery, and being a novice I avoid negatives.

I've heard that thing about it creating an opposite effect, and that might be true (i dunno), but it can definitely challenge a session and cause the subject's mind to wander or be less fixed. The mind tends to consider opposites, and there are techniques which make use of this, but if that's not the plan it can unproductive confusion.

I try to avoid all negating elements, even prefixes (not, anti-, un-, ~, etc). This way I am only constructing in one direction in terms of both imagery and logic. This also creates a special challenge (especially for breaking habits, not to smoke), which I think is very beneficial in the learning process; at least for beginners .
phryne
Regular
Regular

Re: When and How to use "not"

Postby phryne » October 17th, 2010, 2:52 am

softline wrote:
For example don't say:

Better to say
Tommorrow you visit me.

I like to eliminate pronouns, or unify the to two entities.

"We'll visit tomorrow."
or
"Visit tomorrow."
phryne
Regular
Regular

Re: When and How to use "not"

Postby Jeshi » October 22nd, 2010, 10:23 pm

phryne wrote:
softline wrote:
For example don't say:

Better to say
Tommorrow you visit me.

I like to eliminate pronouns, or unify the to two entities.

"We'll visit tomorrow."
or
"Visit tomorrow."

I've found that using "We'll" or "I'll" won't work unless it's in your own voice, otherwise the brain just thinks of it in the context of a conversation and assumes they're talking about somebody else. "We'll visit tomorrow? Visit where? Who? I wasn't planning on visiting tomorrow it must be somebody else."

But if you use you it catches the attention, you always means you so the brain pays attention. "You are going to visit tomorrow" "Yes, I am."

But "Visit tomorrow" might still seem like a choice "sure? I guess I might, I'll check my schedule."

But more on topic!

Using only negatives is a bad idea. But if you use the positive and the negative then it can still work. Although it's easier to just use positives.

Like what was said earlier, Cannot is a negative that still works. I think it's because trying to use a positive in that situation can get more confusing than just saying that you can't do it.

"If you try to lift your arm you will find that you cannot."
"If you try to lift your arm you will find that your arm will stay in place."

It's just easier to use negatives sometimes.
Jeshi
Guru
Guru

Postby phryne » October 23rd, 2010, 6:04 am

When using "cannot", would its effective use be highly dependent on tone control, or is the word more established in the mind?

I see Jeshi's point about "We'll" or "We". That makes a lot of sense. Much thanks.

I try never to use pronouns in sessions. I've learned that not saying "I" causes people to more readily accept ideas. For instance when eating with a group:
"Where should we go to eat?"
"I think (X) sounds good."
The result is other people offering their favored eatery. However, saying "(X) sounds good", more often results in people going along with (X). This is fun to do for a few days, and watch people become more compliant and less questioning. I don't know what this means in terms of hypnosis, but I keep it in mind.
phryne
Regular
Regular

Postby tomtom-phs » October 29th, 2010, 11:28 am

When writing scripts i usually go back through "search & replace" looking for negatives since they creep into my normal writing a lot, and then try to reword the statements into positives. It is a real challenge sometimes. The pronouns topic gives me a whole other challenge now, but thanks to the insights here, i can see the benefits.
:roll:
tomtom-phs
Regular
Regular

Postby inferiorwoman » January 6th, 2011, 9:14 am

Working in child care, we are taught to voice everything in the positive with children, don't be negative (can't say 'no' and all that). Am still yet to find a positive way to say "don't stick that in the socket" when a child is on the verge of doing just that. :P
inferiorwoman

Postby sarnoga » January 6th, 2011, 4:06 pm

inferiorwoman wrote:Working in child care, we are taught to voice everything in the positive with children, don't be negative (can't say 'no' and all that). Am still yet to find a positive way to say "don't stick that in the socket" when a child is on the verge of doing just that. :P

When the child is about to stick something in the electrical socket, perhaps you might try something shorter. Such as...

(child's name) Stop.

Sarnoga
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

not my reply

Postby Calimore » January 6th, 2011, 10:19 pm

inferiorwoman wrote:Working in child care, we are taught to voice everything in the positive with children...
Am yet to find a positive way to say "don't stick that in the socket" when a child is on the verge of doing just that. :P

I found myself telling my first child, "Careful, that will bite you!" before I even knew I was saying it.

I suppose that's probably what I was told as a kid and it worked, until the day I cut the plug off a cord and stuck THAT into the outlet. Then I found out that PLUGS can bite, too!

One last thing - sometimes telling a child not to do something seems to make the child want to do something they weren't considering doing in the first place. I've found that many children exhibiting such behaviors rarely fully outgrow them.
If you only Believe in Hypnosis, It can Change Your Life.
Calimore
Guru
Guru

Postby Ladon » January 30th, 2011, 9:38 pm

My father-in-law is one of them! Or in a way, anyway. He's always been a bit of a so-called "free spirit" but it seems much more of a compulsion than that.

The doctor says "You have to cut back on your sodium and potassium, and you can't have phosphorus." He salts everything.

Mom says "You should be more careful about your sugar, and take your insulin" he drinks soda and ignores his blood sugar.

It seems that any suggestion or even any direction from anyone elicits the opposite response from him, like he WANTS to die. :p And it's not just on the diet front, that was just the easiest thing to remember.
Ladon
Mentor
Mentor

Postby BobbyS » February 8th, 2011, 2:16 pm

"don't stick that in the socket"

Keep your fingers away from there? :P
BobbyS
Guru
Guru

Postby CharredSoul » February 15th, 2011, 9:42 am

one of my faves of using not,

you can ...... can you not?