I want to forget.

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

I want to forget.

Postby lizzie101 » October 31st, 2011, 2:06 am

Hiya WMM, been awhile :)

I am trying to induce temporary retrograde(past memories) amnesia hypnotically. I saw a few files on the site, and was wondering people's opinions on them. Whether they're good or bad though, I will probably be tailoring my own file, because I want to make sure the trigger works 100% correctly, and to my specifications. I'm slowly starting to put into writing the planning for the scenario to ensure I don't end up thrown into a mental hospital or something smilar. Of course said writings will need to be disposed of at some point, but when and how is to be determined.

Specifically, what I want is to forget my past completely, retaining, of course, my language skills and sense of self identity. I'd like for the amnesia to last a few weeks at most, but more than a few days, for full effect. Would prefer to avoid anterograde amnesia(inability to form memories), but for all I know they go hand in hand, because my research at this stage is somewhat minimal. I do know that there are drugs that can accomplish what I want to do, but those increase my chances of exposure during the episode. And yes, I'm aware that all of this is a lot to ask for self-hypnosis, but I find that with enough faith, you can do anything with hypno ;) what I'm asking for, I suppose, is advice on what I need to do outside of the hypnosis to avoid being caught. Also, for the trigger, how can I precisely control the length of the episode? Or can I at all, should I say?
lizzie101
Regular
Regular

Muddy Mind.

Postby Haxsaw » October 31st, 2011, 5:03 am

Dear Lizzie,
It can be done, hypnotized to forget yet you stand a trouble here. Let us say a past memory haunting you is based on a red dress, (for example,). You later, in time, see or wear a red dress. Some object orientation or else sensory stimuli can trigger, even shock you with the past memory you tried forgetting.
Another approach is forgetting to behave a certain way. I used this on a middle aged lady. She was the same, laughed the same and what not. A particular habit that interrupted her life, as well as annoyed others around her was deleted. Forgetting her past? I never tried. I mention this second cause as a habit or function you perform can trigger a recall of a past episode you wish to no longer remember.
Sincerely,
Haxsaw
Haxsaw
Regular
Regular

Re: I want to forget.

Postby Mutazoa » October 31st, 2011, 7:52 am

lizzie101 wrote: what I'm asking for, I suppose, is advice on what I need to do outside of the hypnosis to avoid being caught. Also, for the trigger, how can I precisely control the length of the episode? Or can I at all, should I say?

Well if you want the amnesia to last several days, it's going to be hard to keep from getting caught, unless your not planning on leaving the house for the entire time. You'll still, as you say, have your sense of identity, but you won't remember your friends, co-workers (or that you even have a job) and if you run into them while you are out and about the jig, as they say, is up. Not to mention the "fun" you'll have if, say, your mom calls to chit chat for a bit...

Depending on how you work the file, you probably won't remember that you hypnotically erased your memories, so you'll most likely experience some pretty intense feelings of panic, if not terror when you wake up and realize that you don't remember anything about your life before that point. Most people at that point end up running to the hospital to find out whats wrong with them...

As for how precise you can get with the trigger, you should be able to be very exact, as long as you are careful with your wording. You shouldn't have to worry about forgetting how to speak. Loss of speech is normally attributed to stroke victims and other forms of brain damage. Loss of speech through amnesia is very very VERY rare. You will be able to form and retain memories from the inception of your amnesiatic episode, especially if you make that a condition in your hypnosis session. Antegrade amnesia is, again, usually linked to (physical) brain damage. Just make sure you clearly and succinctly state the conditions and duration of your amnesia. I would also suggest working in an escape clause or two; specific events that will snap you out of your amnesiatic state in case of an emergency. Events, not trigger words or phrases, as you won't remember them.

I would strongly suggest writing out your script and proof reading it several times, looking for loopholes. I would also suggest enlisting the aid of one or more of the tists on here to proof read your script for you as well. I would also suggest telling at least one person you know and trust IRL what you are doing as an added safety measure.

As for the wording, I would avoid using any reference to "erasing" your memories as this can accidentally have just that effect and make memory recovery difficult. I would, instead, make reference to "locking away" your memories such as in a safe or vault that will be opened allowing you to access those memories again after X amount of time or when the safety clauses are met...
Mutazoa
Mentor
Mentor

Postby lizzie101 » October 31st, 2011, 11:21 am

Mutazoa wrote:
lizzie101 wrote: what I'm asking for, I suppose, is advice on what I need to do outside of the hypnosis to avoid being caught. Also, for the trigger, how can I precisely control the length of the episode? Or can I at all, should I say?

Well if you want the amnesia to last several days, it's going to be hard to keep from getting caught, unless your not planning on leaving the house for the entire time. You'll still, as you say, have your sense of identity, but you won't remember your friends, co-workers (or that you even have a job) and if you run into them while you are out and about the jig, as they say, is up. Not to mention the "fun" you'll have if, say, your mom calls to chit chat for a bit...

Depending on how you work the file, you probably won't remember that you hypnotically erased your memories, so you'll most likely experience some pretty intense feelings of panic, if not terror when you wake up and realize that you don't remember anything about your life before that point. Most people at that point end up running to the hospital to find out whats wrong with them...

As for how precise you can get with the trigger, you should be able to be very exact, as long as you are careful with your wording. You shouldn't have to worry about forgetting how to speak. Loss of speech is normally attributed to stroke victims and other forms of brain damage. Loss of speech through amnesia is very very VERY rare. You will be able to form and retain memories from the inception of your amnesiatic episode, especially if you make that a condition in your hypnosis session. Antegrade amnesia is, again, usually linked to (physical) brain damage. Just make sure you clearly and succinctly state the conditions and duration of your amnesia. I would also suggest working in an escape clause or two; specific events that will snap you out of your amnesiatic state in case of an emergency. Events, not trigger words or phrases, as you won't remember them.

I would strongly suggest writing out your script and proof reading it several times, looking for loopholes. I would also suggest enlisting the aid of one or more of the tists on here to proof read your script for you as well. I would also suggest telling at least one person you know and trust IRL what you are doing as an added safety measure.

As for the wording, I would avoid using any reference to "erasing" your memories as this can accidentally have just that effect and make memory recovery difficult. I would, instead, make reference to "locking away" your memories such as in a safe or vault that will be opened allowing you to access those memories again after X amount of time or when the safety clauses are met...
thanks for all the helpful advice! I think you misunderstand though - when I talk about being caught, I mean someone catching onto the fact that I have artificially induced amnesia. That, I fear, could cause me to get locked in a mental hospital, at the least my family would never respect me again. How I'm going to set it up so it looks like I've actually gotten amnesia, I do not know. Right now I'm pretty much focused on the hypnosis aspects of it.

I agree with you about telling someone. I do have some very liberal friends who would not out me to my family unless it were absolutely necessary.
lizzie101
Regular
Regular

Postby bandler » October 31st, 2011, 12:03 pm

Mutazoa wrote:
... Most people at that point end up running to the hospital to find out whats wrong with them...

... Just make sure you clearly and succinctly state the conditions and duration of your amnesia. I would also suggest working in an escape clause or two; specific events that will snap you out of your amnesiatic state in case of an emergency. Events, not trigger words or phrases, as you won't remember them.

Mutazoa, you write as if you have done this many times with many people. How did you accumulate such detailed experience? Maybe you can just edit and re-use one of your amnesia scripts?

lizzie101 says, "what I want is to forget my past completely, retaining, of course, my language skills and sense of self identity."

Which is impossible: you can not retain your sense of self identity without the memories that tell you who you are.

I am curious to know WHY lizzie101 wants to forget. It sounds like a party trick or a practical joke she wants to play on herself.

Is this the BEST way to accomplish the deeper objective? Only lizzie101 knows what her real objective is.

And remember, in the past, you learned to protect yourself from predators, which you will no longer remember, should you be successful in forgetting your past, and would stand out like an overconfident upper class teenager lost in the bad part of town.

Think of how much fun sociopaths might have with such an easy victim... and you want it to last for how many days?
bandler
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Mutazoa » October 31st, 2011, 12:36 pm

bandler wrote:lizzie101 says, "what I want is to forget my past completely, retaining, of course, my language skills and sense of self identity."

Which is impossible: you can not retain your sense of self identity without the memories that tell you who you are.

Well that depends on what lizzie means by her sense of identity. Basically if all she wants to retain is her name and her unconscious habits/mannerisms she should be able to do this.

Most amnesiacs remember how to speak, how to read and write, how to drive a car...they just can't call up specific memories. We don't consciously call upon our memories to decide how we act and react. We don't stop and think "ok, I was stung by a bee when I was 3 so I'm going to avoid that bee over there like the plague"...we just do it. Even in a case of amnesia, the memories are still there, we just can't access them.
Mutazoa
Mentor
Mentor

Postby bandler » October 31st, 2011, 12:50 pm

Mutazoa wrote:
Most amnesiacs remember how to speak, how to read and write, how to drive a car...they just can't call up specific memories. We don't consciously call upon our memories to decide how we act and react. We don't stop and think "ok, I was stung by a bee when I was 3 so I'm going to avoid that bee over there like the plague"...we just do it. Even in a case of amnesia, the memories are still there, we just can't access them.

"Most amnesiacs" - where are you getting your statistical data from? What studies have you read or conducted that lead you to this point of view?
bandler
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Mutazoa » October 31st, 2011, 4:20 pm

bandler wrote:
Mutazoa wrote:

"Most amnesiacs" - where are you getting your statistical data from? What studies have you read or conducted that lead you to this point of view?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/amnesia/DS01041/DSECTION=symptoms
http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/neurological-conditions/amnesia.htm
http://www.lef.org/protocols/neurological/amnesia_01.htm

Is that enough or should I keep linking?
Mutazoa
Mentor
Mentor

Postby qv » October 31st, 2011, 5:01 pm

Mutazoa wrote:
bandler wrote:lizzie101 says, "what I want is to forget my past completely, retaining, of course, my language skills and sense of self identity."

Well that depends on what lizzie means by her sense of identity. Basically if all she wants to retain is her name and her unconscious habits/mannerisms she should be able to do this.

Ah, yes, the difference between episodic memory and semantic memory.

That would actually be something that would be very smart to put into the file; complete loss of episodic memory, but retaining semantic memory. As mentioned by bandler, it's extremely important to be able to remember how to protect yourself from predators. But it may or may not be as important to remember how you learned that.

Of course, you'll need to make sure you have safeties built in to protect you in case episodic memory is important. Using the previous example, it would be quite bad if you couldn't remember having learned that a 'friend' of yours turned out to be the kind of person you'd need to protect yourself from.

So, yeah... if you want to do this, approach it with an ridiculous amount of caution, and give yourself plenty of ways out. And get it proofread.
qv
Mentor
Mentor

Postby bandler » October 31st, 2011, 5:07 pm

Mutazoa wrote:
bandler wrote:
Mutazoa wrote:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/neurological-conditions/amnesia.htm

That is enough to make my point for me. Generalizations about amnesia that might have been caused by a dozen or more events, drugs, or illnesses are not as useful to the topic at hand as actual experience with hypnotic amnesia.
bandler
Mentor
Mentor

Postby qv » October 31st, 2011, 5:19 pm

bandler wrote:
Mutazoa wrote:
bandler wrote:
Mutazoa wrote:

That is enough to make my point for me. Generalizations about amnesia that might have been caused by a dozen or more events, drugs, or illnesses are not as useful to the topic at hand as actual experience with hypnotic amnesia.

Ok, here, I have experience with hypnotic amnesia. In fact, I've gotten it down to the point that I can make myself forget writing this... and I will, too, feel free to quiz me. But the thing is, I've found that there is a very important distinction between episodic memory and semantic memory. Things that happen, I forget easily. But other things, it takes quite a bit more effort...

But I haven't ever tried total amnesia before either... so I suppose what I have to say could be disregarded if you wanted to. I just hope you don't.

Again, what I would most recommend is very, very careful deliberation on the part of anyone involved in something of this magnitude... so please, play safely, everyone.
qv
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Mutazoa » October 31st, 2011, 5:48 pm

bandler wrote:

The OP is talking about simulating actual amnesia with in a certain set of parameters. You stated that a specific parameter, namely the retention of self identity, could not be achieved, I stated it could then, at your request, linked to several sources, stating that generally amnesia cases seldom lose their sense of identity. I fail to see where your ire comes from or is directed; other than some one dared to disagree with you?

"Actual experience with hypnotic amnesia" is so common amongst hypnotists that its not worth mentioning. Its like actual experience walking. I fail to see why you even bring it up. As hypnotic amnesia mimics one form or another of the actual medical condition, any knowledge of the medical form would easily translate to its hypnotic counterpart.

I stated common effects (and reactions) of actual amnesia, as per the OP's initial topic, information easily available to anyone who can use a search engine and read. You countered with information counter to that given by modern medicine, challenge my information, then when sited, you say it does not apply to the topic of the OP. If Lizzy wants to mimic actual amnesia, then I'm afraid my information does indeed apply, and is indeed useful to the topic at hand.

I used generalizations as Lizzy has not gone into exacting detail what she would like to accomplish, or what form of amnesia she would like to mimic. Using specific information at this point would be like giving some one every ounce of information about a Lamborgini when all they ask is "hey what do you know about cars."
Mutazoa
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Mutazoa » October 31st, 2011, 6:33 pm

lizzie101 wrote: thanks for all the helpful advice! I think you misunderstand though - when I talk about being caught, I mean someone catching onto the fact that I have artificially induced amnesia. That, I fear, could cause me to get locked in a mental hospital, at the least my family would never respect me again. How I'm going to set it up so it looks like I've actually gotten amnesia, I do not know. Right now I'm pretty much focused on the hypnosis aspects of it.

I agree with you about telling someone. I do have some very liberal friends who would not out me to my family unless it were absolutely necessary.

Well I would suggest you look at the sites I linked above to research the causes of amnesia and the common effects. If you want to pass this off as an actual case you are going to need to do a LOT of research. The moment you attempt to pass off your hypnotically induced amnesia as the "real thing" you are going to be dragged to doctors who know a helluva lot more about this than your going to get from people on here. Your going to need to tailor your artificial symptoms to mimic actual cases or there's a chance you'll be found out.

I recall a TV episode (can't remember the show) where one character asks another to fake being sick. The end result, the character playing sick accidentally fakes all the symptoms of the plague and gets rushed to the hospital. You don't want something like that happening to you so do your research well....
Mutazoa
Mentor
Mentor

Postby lizzie101 » October 31st, 2011, 10:55 pm

Mutazoa wrote:
bandler wrote:

The OP is talking about simulating actual amnesia with in a certain set of parameters. You stated that a specific parameter, namely the retention of self identity, could not be achieved, I stated it could then, at your request, linked to several sources, stating that generally amnesia cases seldom lose their sense of identity. I fail to see where your ire comes from or is directed; other than some one dared to disagree with you?

"Actual experience with hypnotic amnesia" is so common amongst hypnotists that its not worth mentioning. Its like actual experience walking. I fail to see why you even bring it up. As hypnotic amnesia mimics one form or another of the actual medical condition, any knowledge of the medical form would easily translate to its hypnotic counterpart.

I stated common effects (and reactions) of actual amnesia, as per the OP's initial topic, information easily available to anyone who can use a search engine and read. You countered with information counter to that given by modern medicine, challenge my information, then when sited, you say it does not apply to the topic of the OP. If Lizzy wants to mimic actual amnesia, then I'm afraid my information does indeed apply, and is indeed useful to the topic at hand.

I used generalizations as Lizzy has not gone into exacting detail what she would like to accomplish, or what form of amnesia she would like to mimic. Using specific information at this point would be like giving some one every ounce of information about a Lamborgini when all they ask is "hey what do you know about cars."
I will definitely admit that my research thus far has been limited. I am not planning on making the file tomorrow and having a go at it; I'm thinking more of like next summer, because I know I've got a LOT of research to do. However what I do know is that I want the symptoms to mimic pure retrograde amnesia. As for how long I should have the trigger last, I don't know exactly. A week seems plenty of time to have no memory, I suppose. Hopefully this weekend I will have time to properly research amnesia, I'm a little too busy right now.

Someone asked why I would want to do this. The best explanation I can give is that I believe life is about experiencing things. The thought of waking up and not being able to remember anything fascinates me; I want to know what it's like. Call me childish if you will. It's just how I am.
lizzie101
Regular
Regular

Postby bandler » November 1st, 2011, 12:05 am

Mutazoa wrote:

Dear Mutazoa, It seems we had a failure to communicate.

When I asked where your data came from, you linked to medical sources describing actual amnesia. Great. As you say, anyone can google amnesia.

What I was interested in was your experience with hypnotic amnesia.

Let me ask again, What is your experience with hypnotic amnesia? Have you induced total amnesia in a client or volunteer? For how long? Under what circumstances? You wrote with such confidence I wanted to know where that confidence came from.

Since lizzie101 wrote back with a bit more detail, I think there is nothing to be concerned about one way or the other.
bandler
Mentor
Mentor

Postby VeryGnawty » November 1st, 2011, 12:16 am

It sounds interesting. Personally, I find memory loss very scary. One morning, I think my second personality tried to make me a bimbo. For about half an hour (maybe longer) I discovered that it was becoming increasingly difficult to concentrate and remember things.

I remember it fairly well, now. Oh, dangit, my other personality just pulled a prank on me. I should have known that if I said something like "I remember it fairly well" that he would use it to play a joke on me. OK, so I don't remember it very well anymore. It has become really hard for me to remember. I'm trying to remember it, and I just can't get it.

Maybe he's trying to show you what it feels like to not be able to remember something. Yeah, that must be it. I'm the punchline to a joke, but at least it serves a purpose.

Anyway, what I was trying to say is that I was having trouble remembering some stuff I needed to do that morning to prepare for work. But it took me a good two or three minutes of straight concentration of trying to remember what I needed to do, and I ended up giving up trying because I couldn't remember. About fifteen minutes later, I remembered what I needed to do and I was able to get it done before getting ready for work.

I was really scared that morning. Id had so much control of my mind that I knew he could make it impossible for me to remember things, and there was nothing I could do about it. It's still scary just thinking about it.

On an unrelated note, Id and I both like sharing our experiences and demonstrating our knowledge. I should have known that replying to a thread about amnesia would provoke him to make me forget about what I was talking about. I have little doubt that he'll make me forget this post once I stop thinking about it. Maybe if I'm a good little slave, he'll allow me to remember. It would be very awkward to come back to this thread later, and not remember typing any of this. I guess I won't know (or won't not know, as the case may be) until I check this thread later.

Oh, now I'm nervous. I don't know if I'm going to be able to remember any of this or not. Oh, this is so frustrating. I guess that's what happens when you create a dominant personality in your head to control you. Oh, I can't believe I'm saying all of this. This is going so off topic, but Id says I need to be a good girl and tell everyone what a little bitch I am for him. Oh, he is so much stronger than me right now. He won't even let me complain to him about how we should create a new topic about my submission rather than derailing this one. Oh, Id is being such a bad boy right now. Someone please tell Id he's being a bad boy so he will become submissive to me. I can't believe he would make me post all of this in this thread! If he wanted to show off his dominance over me, he could have created a new thread for that.
VeryGnawty
Guru
Guru

Postby Mutazoa » November 1st, 2011, 8:00 am

bandler wrote:

Dear Mutazoa, It seems we had a failure to communicate.

When I asked where your data came from, you linked to medical sources describing actual amnesia. Great. As you say, anyone can google amnesia.

What I was interested in was your experience with hypnotic amnesia.

Let me ask again, What is your experience with hypnotic amnesia? Have you induced total amnesia in a client or volunteer? For how long? Under what circumstances? You wrote with such confidence I wanted to know where that confidence came from.

Since lizzie101 wrote back with a bit more detail, I think there is nothing to be concerned about one way or the other.

Ah, yes...failure to communicate indeed.

A little background on me...
I was first introduced to hypnotism about age 7 when a friend of the family was getting into stage hypnotism and did a demonstration at a gathering at our house. By age 10 I was hypnotizing friends at parties for laughs. Off and on over the last 30 years I have worked as a stage hypnotist, and have taken steps to getting my hypnotherapy license.

As I said earlier, hypnotic amnesia is one of the first things a hypnotist learns (especially stage hypnotists). Although I have not induced total amnesia (doing so could do serious harm and I'm not willing to risk that for a stage show), I have caused subjects to forget their own name, friends names, to forget an entire summer vacation and believe they've been attending classes for a year straight (I let this go for a week). I have also used hypnosis to help some one forget a particular memory that nobody should have as well as the events immediately prior. That was 2 years ago and so far it has not resurfaced.

Before that last example I made sure to do a little research on medical amnesia, just to cover my arse. I wanted to know, mostly, how long medical amnesia usually lasted and under what conditions that memory could resurface.
Mutazoa
Mentor
Mentor

Postby lizzie101 » November 1st, 2011, 1:07 pm

Ah, see, this is why I chose hypnosis over drugs. Its hard to dispute the effect hypnosis can have on one's memories.
lizzie101
Regular
Regular

Postby bandler » November 1st, 2011, 3:02 pm

Mutazoa wrote:

Ah, yes...failure to communicate indeed.

A little background on me...
I was first introduced to hypnotism about age 7 when a friend of the family was getting into stage hypnotism and did a demonstration at a gathering at our house. By age 10 I was hypnotizing friends at parties for laughs. Off and on over the last 30 years I have worked as a stage hypnotist, and have taken steps to getting my hypnotherapy license.

As I said earlier, hypnotic amnesia is one of the first things a hypnotist learns (especially stage hypnotists). Although I have not induced total amnesia (doing so could do serious harm and I'm not willing to risk that for a stage show), I have caused subjects to forget their own name, friends names, to forget an entire summer vacation and believe they've been attending classes for a year straight (I let this go for a week). I have also used hypnosis to help some one forget a particular memory that nobody should have as well as the events immediately prior. That was 2 years ago and so far it has not resurfaced.

Before that last example I made sure to do a little research on medical amnesia, just to cover my arse. I wanted to know, mostly, how long medical amnesia usually lasted and under what conditions that memory could resurface.

Thanks for sharing, Mutazoa.

That's what I was after.

My relevant background is: I Learned NLP for public speaking, at the same time I stumbled onto hypnosis. Seven years ago I took a 9 month training course leading to clinical hypnotherapy certification. I've been in practice ever since.

My use of amnesia has been very limited in therapy sessions.

The example you gave, helping someone forget a particular memory, is something you might learn more about at a good hypnotherapy school. Cal Banyan has a good five day class on how to help people reconcile their past traumas.

There are problems associated with 'forgetting' traumatic events. The trauma tends to resurface in predictably unpredictable ways. There are several therapeutic techniques to deal with traumatic memories, but hypnotic amnesia is not one I have heard recommended.

It would be very educational for fellow students if you were to attend a hypnosis certification class. I can assure you the students in my class would have benefited greatly from seeing a 30 year veteran hypnotist in action.
bandler
Mentor
Mentor

Postby bandler » November 1st, 2011, 3:05 pm

lizzie101 wrote:Ah, see, this is why I chose hypnosis over drugs. Its hard to dispute the effect hypnosis can have on one's memories.

Hello again lizzie101.

No one is disputing the effect hypnosis can have on your memory.

I do hope you find a competent hypnotherapist you can trust and work with, to help you put the pieces back together again after you conduct your little experiment.
bandler
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Mutazoa » November 1st, 2011, 7:02 pm

bandler wrote:Thanks for sharing, Mutazoa.

There are problems associated with 'forgetting' traumatic events. The trauma tends to resurface in predictably unpredictable ways. There are several therapeutic techniques to deal with traumatic memories, but hypnotic amnesia is not one I have heard recommended.

It wasn't a traumatic memory, more of one that was humiliating to parties involved. I would never attempt to suppress a traumatic memory.
Mutazoa
Mentor
Mentor

Return to General Hypnosis